onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Off to a Grimsby buoyed by a first league win, the mid-week must suit them. Hopefully we will return to our weekend form, although it seems much will depend on whether Manny plays or not. With October being an 8 game month there will be some rotation in the lesser games, and the arguments between keeping a winning team and horses for courses will run. Fitness/tiredness takes its toil, was Manny fully recovered to play after Saturday, who knows? On paper the Mariners are not such a stiff test as our last 2 games, so hoping for 3 points without any trouble at the end with late equalizers, Kanu for another goal or 2?

Advert

Off to a Grimsby buoyed by a first league win, the mid-week must suit them. Hopefully we will return to our weekend form, although it seems much will depend on whether Manny plays or not. With October being an 8 game month there will be some rotation in the lesser games, and the arguments between keeping a winning team and horses for courses will run. Fitness/tiredness takes its toil, was Manny fully recovered to play after Saturday, who knows? On paper the Mariners are not such a stiff test as our last 2 games, so hoping for 3 points without any trouble at the end with late equalizers, Kanu for another goal or 2?

I'm not sure I go along with the 'tired' from Saturday's game taking its toll. Seven other teams + MK managed to win despite all playing the previous Saturday - did tiredness only affect the the losing teams? Fitness I will go along with. I do not think we look as fit as other teams in the later stages of a game.

I'm not sure I go along with the 'tired' from Saturday's game taking its toll. Seven other teams + MK managed to win despite all playing the previous Saturday - did tiredness only affect the the losing teams? Fitness I will go along with. I do not think we look as fit as other teams in the later stages of a game.

Fair point but dont think its as black and white as that...

Adam Yates said on Tuesday about how draining Vale Park's pitch is as its heavy due to the make up of it (clay). Add that to the fact we made no changes and faced two of the sternest tests of the season against two of the best teams... would we have been as tired if we'd recorded a comfy win against Morecambe on Saturday... probably not.

I'm absolutely sick and tired of Pope playing through injuries for us.

He's not training at the minute so he can limp through the 90 minutes. This happened last season too.

He's our inspirational captain but its getting a bit silly now. How are we still so reliant on him?

For his own sake, he needs a good rest, to properly recover from these injuries, instead of this cycle of pick up injury -> play through it at 80%, not training -> forced to have operation, missing more time.

Just bite the bullet, send him off to recover. Feel like we're taking advantage of his willingness to play for the Vale.

Many said that the last two games would give an indication of where we are.

I reckon they were right.

Saturday showed that with our best 11 playing at their peak we can give a top team a decent game.

Tuesday , I think, was the result of Saturday's Valiant efforts.

I think many were still tired and not at their best.

I think Aspo fell into the trap of keeping the same team, rather than freshening it up and playing a formation to combat the oppositions strengths.

We were overrun in midfield as they had the extra man.

They also has three players who didn't play Saturday.

Once we were in the mire, Aspo rolled the dice big style at half time, with the consequence that we all know happened.

Grimsby are another test.

A run of poor results, broken on Tuesday, with a good performance.

A much more level playing field.

No Manny means that we will play 10-15 yards deeper.

Being further up the pitch is a major way in which he affects the game.

I'm not too hopeful.

I think Tuesday was a very sobering lesson and confidence may well have been dented.

Why do we enjoy ripping into our own players so much, Dodds, Quigley, even Legge pre season got pelters, then it was Hannant, Joyce, Worrall, Smith, they all came in for stick, now it's Monty and Miller. How many like me feel it's all getting rather embarrassing.

Also and this wont sit easy with most of the faithful, if Pope is injured, and clearly as he isn't training regularly, there must be something wrong, then he shouldn't be playing end of.

It's one thing playing with a tweak most would, Pope certainly would, but it wont be doing him any good, or us to be fair.

God knows we need some goals, Miller hasn't scored since the opening day, and taking two pens out of the equation our talisman has only got one, but if he is nursing an injury it's hardly surprising is it, so are we going to turn on him next?

Maybe if Legge has a stinker in the next match it will be his turn, or Brown if one goes through his legs he might cop some. Surely we are better than that, and in fairness the team and whoever is playing in it, needs us to be better than that!

I can't see anything apart from 3 points.

These lads have a bit of character, they've shown some guts and we can see they are a team and work for each other. We'd come along way the previous few games and Tuesday was a set back. Aspin will get a reaction and I think we'll go there win 2-0. Grimsby are there for the taking as much as we are.

Nothing wrong with the back 5 which means another solid performance.

We're not exactly scoring for fun despite playing well so I would mix it up anyway, injuries give us a chance to do so.

Hardcastle is a better replacement for Conlon than Joyce and I'd be tempted to give Kanu a bit more game time with Popey.

MK DONS were playing their 3rd game in a week and they didn't seem tired.

It was no shock to me that we lost to MK playing the same team. Firstly the game against Exeter required everything stamina wise and it was also a roughhouse game leaving knocks etc. Secondly, I don't know why, but Vale have been useless at two games a week for years and years.

Archived