onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Grimsby Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

There's quite a few posts on this thread criticising the lack of goals and creativity from Whitfield and Hannant but I think this is pretty harsh when the supply to them in the first place has been non-existent. Numerous times both of these players are available for a quick pass into their feet leaving them in a 1 v 1 situation with their full-back only for us to chip a ball in the general vicinity of Pope in the hope that it falls kindly for us.

Bar the odd player I don't think it's necessarily a question of personnel but instead a question of how we utilise that personnel.

Advert

Lack of width is also a factor. I'm not sure where you would stick Whitfield otherwise but if he plays on the right and Hannant on the left then we look very narrow. Especially when Rawlinson isn't an overlapping fullback by trade.

Plenty for Aspin to chew over.

These issue's were clear to see last season.

Hannant, Worrall, Whitfield - all players that will not score enough goals

but also create very few chances in a game

The same three players were also ' guaranteed ' to be in this seasons

first eleven.

So unless we signed a 20 goal a season forward to go with Pope 20 goals

we were doomed to struggle from the start.

Miller is not a 20 goal a season striker but both he and Pope need

much better service. Service our team will struggle to give them.

Unfortunately Aspin takes some of the blame here.

He has brought players in as cover and they appear to be nowhere near good enough for the first team.

Have said before I really wonder what sort of scouting system we have in place to look for players. Not sure if we have any system.

Aspin also came out pre season and talked of the need for goals this year.

Sorry Aspin but your judgement of goal scorers and creative players has

failed you, and us.

I really do see us failing in finding the net and with that am only hopeful of keeping out of the bottom four this season but that will prove

to be difficult, even with better players this season than last.

At least a keeper and center back have won us some points this season

while we struggle to score goals, last season we didn't have that.

Hannant has 2 goals and 2 assists (as well as the set piece for the Kanu goal), despite being played in around 5 different positions. He's been perhaps our most consistent performer this year. If we're going to slag players off for a lack of goal contribution, Hannant shouldn't cop much flak.

I do agree with a few on here that Hannant should be played through the middle. He's a good all-rounder and I've never really seen him as a proper wide player.

The issue we have is we have literally no wingers. Is it time to give Brendon Daniels a 3 game 'sink or swim' run? Or we he that poor of a signing that he's literally going to play 0 minutes before he's released in January?

I do agree with a few on here that Hannant should be played through the middle. He's a good all-rounder and I've never really seen him as a proper wide player.

The issue we have is we have literally no wingers. Is it time to give Brendon Daniels a 3 game 'sink or swim' run? Or we he that poor of a signing that he's literally going to play 0 minutes before he's released in January?

Stick Theo Vassell in that box as well... He's even more odd, as Aspin actually knew him, and obviously rated him, at Gateshead...

Archived