onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Port Vale v Lincoln City

Fosse69

Back to Burslem with Pope's back the major concern. On the pitch a difficult game made harder, a team in transition versus a settled side looking for a tasty draw in the next round. Stiffen the defence? Rejig the attack? Any ideas? Return to winning ways?

Advert

We could have done with an easy fixture, after the weekend and the possibility of Pope being injured, but we've got physically strong and powerful Lincoln arriving at the Wembley of the North so that'll be another tough test. It's a steep learning curve for many of these new lads.

Back to Burslem with Pope's back the major concern. On the pitch a difficult game made harder, a team in transition versus a settled side looking for a tasty draw in the next round. Stiffen the defence? Rejig the attack? Any ideas? Return to winning ways?

Put in tackles don't stand off and watch like what happened to both the goals on Saturday.Yes they were good goals but Vale were just standing watching with no real tackles put in.

We know exactly what to expect in this one and should set up accordingly. Pope won't (or at least shouldn't) play so we have to do something slightly different. I'd consider 3 centre halves with Gibbo & Monty as attacking full backs, Worrall, Manny & Hannant in midfield and Miller plus someone else up front, maybe Dodds or Kanu just behind him in a 5-3-1-1 formation that can easily move to 5-3-2 or with a sub go 4-4-2.

Either way, as has already been said, there has to be some determination in the side to close down and tackle, if not we'll get murdered.

We know exactly what to expect in this one and should set up accordingly. Pope won't (or at least shouldn't) play so we have to do something slightly different. I'd consider 3 centre halves with Gibbo & Monty as attacking full backs, Worrall, Manny & Hannant in midfield and Miller plus someone else up front, maybe Dodds or Kanu just behind him in a 5-3-1-1 formation that can easily move to 5-3-2 or with a sub go 4-4-2.

Either way, as has already been said, there has to be some determination in the side to close down and tackle, if not we'll get murdered.

I don't expect much from this one but I think our best chance is probably 3 centrehalves. Possibly start with Worrall behind Miller.

I think we can afford to experiment here. This competition has never been kind to us and so our priority has to be to get points on the board in the League. I

’d go 5-3-2/3-5-2 with:-

Brown

Legge-Smith-Rawlinson

Gibbo-Joyce-Dodds-Manny-Monty

Worrall-Miller

I think we need a performance off Worrall as I didn’t think he did much against Cambridge and was apparently poor (as the rest) on Saturday. Dodds will provide a bit a craft and goal-threat so Hannant to start on the bench.

It’s not exactly a side packed with pace and I’m not entirely sure Monty has the legs for wing-back but we can but try....

We need more height, strength and pace in our team.

I don't think - defensively - the two wide combinations of Gibbons/Worrall and Monty/Hannant are powerful enough. They get brushed aside too easily. We've never really replaced Gunning.

Lincoln are a big, tough, strong unit. They compete hard for every ball and take no prisoners. I suspect we'll play both Legge and Quigley, and if he's available Kay too. Our first priority is to compete for possession and not get brushed aside like Saturday.

Everyone was talking before Saturday about what a big physical side Colchester are and that it'll be an aerial bombardment.

I didn't think it was like that all, simple quick passing and good movement is what killed us, in particular down the left hand side with Monty and Hannant. I don't think they physically over powered us down the wings either, they were just a better footballing side in the main.

Up front was a different matter though where we struggled to win anything or hold on to the ball.

But if theres ever going to be a game to play 3 at the back then tomorrow is a chance to try it out.

Brown

Rawlinson Legge Smith

Gibbons Joyce Kay Monty

Worrall Quigley Doods

If we keep it below 3-0 this will be a good result after Saturdays game. I hope I am wrong, but the Lincoln fans on camp are buzzing today with a win over Swindle. They said swindle were good, but we were better and took our chances.

But football is a funny old game. We will probably win and play very well now.

Archived