onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shopping list

RichG

Advert

Attracting players from the National League is not going to be as easy as we might think. Many of them have rich owners whose sole purpose in buying them was to get them into League football. Ebbsfleet is a particularly good example as they have a rich middle east owner who recently forked out a cool £5m to build them a new stand, with more to follow. The list also includes Salford, Fylde, and Billericay:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/non-leagues-biggest-spenders-semi-11300824

The football league is going to look very different in 5 years time and this is why we need an owner who is prepared to pay the going rate for players if we are to remain a competitive club. Over to you, Norman!

I think the wages we pay are competitive at this level.I have it on excellent authority that Macclesfield players are on McDonalds wages.

I wouldn't really want Chris Neal back, either - a very good keeper on a good day...bit of a flapper on a bad one! Roos might be a good shout - thought he was settling in nicely, and improved game by game. Also think Hornby could handle being no. 1? Not so sure I'd get rid of Boot - taken out of the pressure keg of fighting relegation, and learning his trade alongside a bit more experience, he could develop as he might have done had the situation been better this year? Play him in the Checkatrade which gives the no. 1 keeper a breather.

You are joking?

Boote is 23 and been at Vale since 2013.

He really should have not been given a contract last year as even Baldrick Brown collected goalkeepers for fun rather than play Boote.

Brown signed Lainton and Hornby then gave Boote a contract.Really after signing Hornby he shouldn’t have offered Boote a contract.

We really need a quality keeper as No 1 and Hornby as No 2.Chris Neal is far better than other goalies we have had and played well before he was injured and Alnwick bought in.

Maybe Alnwick will be available if Rangers sign the Scottish keeper but is probably too good for Div 2 and on big wages.

You are joking?

Boote is 23 and been at Vale since 2013.

He really should have not been given a contract last year as even Baldrick Brown collected goalkeepers for fun rather than play Boote.

Brown signed Lainton and Hornby then gave Boote a contract.Really after signing Hornby he shouldn’t have offered Boote a contract.

We really need a quality keeper as No 1 and Hornby as No 2.Chris Neal is far better than other goalies we have had and played well before he was injured and Alnwick bought in.

Maybe Alnwick will be available if Rangers sign the Scottish keeper but is probably too good for Div 2 and on big wages.

I'd only be looking at keeping either Boot or Hornby and, with recent form and a 2 year contract in his favour, it would be Hornby for me. I'd been looking at an experienced keeper to come in and battle with Hornby - maybe someone who has played at a higher level and is looking to do some coaching qualifications. I'd also give Slinn a contract to allow him to develop further but I honestly don't know how good he is.

Defensively you're looking at Gibbons and Montano (if he's happy to continue there) as wing backs. I don't see the point of paying up too many contracts and I think Davis should be able able enough to cover both right back and centre half. I'd love to see Knops stay in this capacity on the left but that depends on a number of factors (If he's happy to stay, if he's fit enough, and whether Aspo rates him). If he goes I'd certainly be looking to replace him with a similar type of defender who can cover both positions. Smith and Howe at centre half and I'd also be looking to bring in an older head to lead the line.

The midfield is an absolute mess and could depend on whether Pugh and Tonge decide to stay and waste part of our budget. I'd keep Kay as I think there's another good year in him but I'd look to bring in a younger player in a similar mould to cover him. We could also do with a left winger, another box-to-box man like Hannant, and someone with a bit of creativity (a no. 10 if you will). Big ask to pull all tht off...

Up top Pope needs a partner and then with Angus and Turner to hopefully develop that should hopefully be enough. Maybe a young target man too (like Hugill when he was here) from non-league to come in and learn.

As previously mentioned I wouldn't pay up too many contracts but I would do with [possible] big earners such as Lainton and Barnett.

Am I right in thinking that our transfer window is in line with the new rules and will open in a few weeks?

I don't think it really matters when the window technically opens, as there are no more matches until August anyway. New contracts will normally start on the first of July.

I don't think it really matters when the window technically opens, as there are no more matches until August anyway. New contracts will normally start on the first of July.

I don't suppose the window closing the week after the first round of fixtures will affect us either as our signings will be mainly loans and free transfers which are still allowed to be signed up until the 31st August.

Iniesta's leaving Barca at the end of the season, he says he won't ever play against Barcelona so he won't go to a top European club. Maybe we could sign him? He's on a free and we'll never play Barcelona while he's till lacing his boots up. Norm could put him up at the George and he could get a discount as a regular customer at the Kismet. That should swing it.

Not that old chestnut again. Are you still in denial about the fact that Mr Smurthwaite appears to be a far worse owner?

The fact that we actually payed a fee for a player Aspo really wanted, gives me hope! And they have payed up a lot of the dross that was signed under Bruno as well.

But even Aspin said, that fans say ‘sign this and that player from National League, but nobody actually knows what kind of money they wanted for him’. Giving me hope, that he knows what kind of players he wants, (unlike the last two managers who just signed anyone who drove past Stoke-on-Trent), and that he actually enquired about them in january. But no, we can’t and should never pay silly money for a player!

James McKeown and Macaulay Bonne please Neil.

Macaulay Bonne would be amazing but would cost around £400,000 I'd say. It's not as though we've just received £1.8m and could re-invest though! :)

I would still be going hell for leather after Chris Neal and persuade Ben Whitfield to sign permanently with us right now.

Archived