onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shopping list

RichG

Advert

Not sure if this is the link but it shows just how much money is being poured into non-league clubs.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/non-leagues-biggest-spenders-semi-11300824

The best story is the one about Ebbsfleet whose owner is so rich he forked out £5m to build them a new stand. It shows why it's so difficult to get back into the football league. With our resources, it's good job we haven't gone down!

Thanks Cambridge,it's not the article I was thinking about,but it illustrates the fact we are not going to attract top non league players.

The best option is to look at what Adams did last time.

The sort of players who have been good were those with good league experience who have fallen on hard times or were injured.

I am not convinced at this non league gems nonsense.

The likes of Colin Daniel, Calvin Andrew, and Ryan McGivern were not amongst our best players but still play at a higher level today because they had experience of better.

That sort of player may come in cheap and would be better than what we have.

When you say ‘play at a higher level’, you must mean ‘on the books’ of a team at a higher level’, because only Calvin is really playing in that league. I would not want the other two back. And it can’t be said they were integral to our success. Id have a player like hannant over any of them.

If picking up league ready player in non league was easy every team would be doing it. Most fail to make the step up. Not long ago I remember a campaign by a few on here to sign Hooper. We signed 3 at Christmas and so far only one has really contributed (Howe was signed on the back of non league performances).

Rudge was notorious for the amount of football he watched and over all his time at the club I can only think of the following who came through from non league:

Jones

Jepson

Taylor

Talbot

Stokes

Griffiths

Yes they are out there, but not in the quantity people think.

Rudge was notorious for the amount of football he watched and over all his time at the club I can only think of the following who came through from non league:

Jones

Jepson

Taylor

Talbot

Stokes

Griffiths

Yes they are out there, but not in the quantity people think.

Think Brian Horton was recruited from non-league too (Hednesford, if my memory is right) though not by Rudgie of course.

I think we have the core of a decent squad

Hornby

Montano

Gibbons

Smith

Kay

Pugh

Hannant

Worrall

Pope

Turner

Then obviously a few that will be looking to push on next season

Howe

Angus

Kelly

Plus a few lads round the edge.

I think we need to be looking to bring in 6/7 so long as we can get he dead wood off the books like Barnett, Forrester, Middleton, Davis etc

Archived