onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The OVF January Transfer Window thread

robf

Advert

Meh. 4 random defenders signed in the last 7 days. Smacks of desperation and the Michael brown way of chucking **** at a wall and see what sticks.

Hope I’m proved wrong.

Still think we need a keeper

Is it a coincidence that both Brown and Aspo/Rudge have seemingly struggled at transfer deadlines or is there another reason ?

So now we have:

RWB Gibbons

RCB Davis

CB Howkins

CB Smith

CB Howe

LCB Jules

Just need a left wing back now, then play Worrall and Whitfield in behind Pope. Sorted :unsure:

Keep up to date you've missed at least one centre back we've signed 😉

I'm sure we're all pleased to have another couple of lads through the door before the window slams shut, but I suppose the $64,000 question is do we think we are stronger or weaker compared to Xmas?

Gunning, Anderson, Denton and a few other loan players (ie Pyke) gone, along with Wilson and De Freitas. Anyone else? That many, I've forgotten!

Arrived - Wilson, Hannant, Raglan, Howe, Howkins.

Apologies if I've omitted a name.

What's the verdict?

I'm sure we're all pleased to have another couple of lads through the door before the window slams shut, but I suppose the $64,000 question is do we think we are stronger or weaker compared to Xmas?

Gunning, Anderson, Denton and a few other loan players (ie Pyke) gone, along with Wilson and De Freitas. Anyone else? That many, I've forgotten!

Arrived - Wilson, Hannant, Raglan, Howe, Howkins.

Apologies if I've omitted a name.

What's the verdict?

Stronger in midfield and forward. Defensively unclear, need to see them play. I am not up for wing backs, or at least not Montano there.

Meh. 4 random defenders signed in the last 7 days. Smacks of desperation and the Michael brown way of chucking **** at a wall and see what sticks.

Hope I’m proved wrong.

Still think we need a keeper

Raglan is a left sided centre back and I'm guessing was number one target and they went for Jules because they'd probably decided they weren't going to get him.

I suspect the Hoskins and Howe deals may be similar as we've apparently been trying for Howe for a few days. Both would appear to be old fashioned centre backs and they decided to make sure they had someone in who could replace Anderson. If the Howe deal hadn't come off there probably wouldn't have been time to go back for Hoskins, who may well have moved elsewhere. Probably leaves us paying 5 months of salaries for 2 players we don't really want for the next 5 months.

I've had complete faith in Aspo since day 1, and continue to do so, but I must admit I'm baffled if we don't sign a proper left back.

We've not had a player play there who looked comfortable since Dicko (having a mixture of wing backs and centre halfs since), and I honestly don't believe they're in that short supply. Even a right back on his weaker foot would be preferable to the options we have right now.

The Jules signing doesn't make much sense with the arrival of the 2 centre halfs today; maybe he's seen as the LB?

Either way, a fairly perplexing window. Happy with Hannant, Raglan, and Howe, not sold on Wilson, Angus, Howkins, and Jules.

A switch to 5 at the back doesn't particularly excite me; our two best players are wingers in Worrall and Whitfield, and I don't know if we'll be shifting them around to suit the signings we were forced to bring in.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have signed one of the forwards and Jules, and then brought in a left back and another midfield (and another keeper). I see Stuart Nelson has left Gills; 36, hundreds of games at this level. Ideal for a 6 month contract with a years extension option if he still has it?

I'm fairly sure we just about have enough to cling on to our FL status, due to how dire this league is. Hopefully the summer will see a more coordinated, lean transfer policy, as opposed to the more 'haphazard' feel this one has. UTV

I've had complete faith in Aspo since day 1, and continue to do so, but I must admit I'm baffled if we don't sign a proper left back.

We've not had a player play there who looked comfortable since Dicko (having a mixture of wing backs and centre halfs since), and I honestly don't believe they're in that short supply. Even a right back on his weaker foot would be preferable to the options we have right now.

The Jules signing doesn't make much sense with the arrival of the 2 centre halfs today; maybe he's seen as the LB?

Either way, a fairly perplexing window. Happy with Hannant, Raglan, and Howe, not sold on Wilson, Angus, Howkins, and Jules.

A switch to 5 at the back doesn't particularly excite me; our two best players are wingers in Worrall and Whitfield, and I don't know if we'll be shifting them around to suit the signings we were forced to bring in.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have signed one of the forwards and Jules, and then brought in a left back and another midfield (and another keeper). I see Stuart Nelson has left Gills; 36, hundreds of games at this level. Ideal for a 6 month contract with a years extension option if he still has it?

I'm fairly sure we just about have enough to cling on to our FL status, due to how dire this league is. Hopefully the summer will see a more coordinated, lean transfer policy, as opposed to the more 'haphazard' feel this one has. UTV

I’d have Nelson here. That’s exactly the sort of keeper we need.

Archived