onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Yates given free transfer? No, contract extended to end of season 2018...

valeparklife

I'm not missing the point. I just can't see why the fact that he's been injured makes any difference to whether the club should continue to pay the guy. He would very likely have been released on 1 Jan had he not been injured, and I suspect many of you would have been saying good riddance. The club have paid the bloke for doing nothing for the past 18 months so I can't see how people can slate the club if they decide to release him. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Rob, is there any way you can look to set up a donations page for yatesy? That way, those who want to 'do right' by him can donate if they wish.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

The narrative of 'paying for doing nothing' is not a good one to follow.

He's been unable to. Not like he's slacking.

My argument can be summarised as this; Adam Yates has contributed enough to Port Vale where I, as a fan who wants so see us wins games and no real fan of Yates, would be happy for the club to give him financial stability for 6 months as he comes to term with retirement, intensive surgeries, and recovery.

Others are so desperate for a new reserve RB they think otherwise.

Thread summed up, make you own minds up

Advert

some very agreeable points in the main, my take & not a legal one is vale should look after him until he is fit for employment whether that be football related or not as the injuries were sustained under their contract I would keep his wage for 2/3 months helping him when he needs it most then scale the support down until he can work again.

He has been an excellent servant to the club and a top guy always going about his business without fuss or complaint and would play anywhere, met him once in tk maxx (bet the stoke players don't shop there)with his wife but was only too happy for a selfie with my then young lad (made his day).

The worrying thing is if the club haven't spoke to him sounds like they are just letting him go then c ya mate attitude when his contract runs out which is also more alarming for gunning on short term contract - why hasn't his contract been sorted or dialogue earlier(poss same with aspin etc) his agent will be rubbing his hands and we risk losing a valued member disrupting neil aspins plans...We need stability from norman and colin garlick and January will speak volumes as to the intentions going forward to the fans and more so aspin and backroom staff

Imagine being a footballer that Vale are interested in signing this January and reading this. Would you sign for us or would you go somewhere that looks after their players?

Footballers talk.

A lot of damage has already been done with Norman's 50% wage reduction madness without having something like this happen.

We should be looking after our loyal servants, not tossing them out with the garbage.

I'm absolutely disgusted in some of the Vale fans on here.

Happy to see REP has been banned though!

I’ve said this before in a Yates thread. The game we got promoted when the fans rushed on the pitch, when most players ran for the tunnel, Yates turned towards the crowd. He’s one of us and we should look after him. I’m also not convinced he wouldn’t be playing if fit with gibbons suspended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Imagine being a footballer that Vale are interested in signing this January and reading this. Would you sign for us or would you go somewhere that looks after their players?

Footballers talk.

A lot of damage has already been done with Norman's 50% wage reduction madness without having something like this happen.

We should be looking after our loyal servants, not tossing them out with the garbage.

The answer to your question is quite simple. Footballers will go to the club who pay the most with little, if any, thought about other issues. I hate to spoil people’s illusions about players but that is the harsh reality.

I understand the arguments for and against and both have merit but this is such a one off situation in terms of the nature of the injuries and the number of surgeries required that surely something can be done by the club as far as a contract for Adam Yates for the next 6 months.

The club would get kudos if it did and Adam would no doubt repay Vale in some way when he is physically able. Awful situation all round for Adam, would be wonderful if the club could make it less so.

Footballers talk.

I've spent the last day or so trying to write something to post on this thread, but I just don't have the heart to even begin.

So I'll just agree with all the above. Especially the last bit.

Let me finish with a short story: a good mate (who supports that lot down the road) reckons that one thing that was a major factor in them lot being able to recruit a better quality of player a year or two before promotion was what happened just after Delap did his cruciate in his first game.

He was on loan with an agreement to make the deal permanent in the next window and Pulis came out and said straight away that nothing would change and he would still sign him.

That had a massive effect on their reputation as an employer.

I've spent the last day or so trying to write something to post on this thread, but I just don't have the heart to even begin.

So I'll just agree with all the above. Especially the last bit.

Let me finish with a short story: a good mate (who supports that lot down the road) reckons that one thing that was a major factor in them lot being able to recruit a better quality of player a year or two before promotion was what happened just after Delap did his cruciate in his first game.

He was on loan with an agreement to make the deal permanent in the next window and Pulis came out and said straight away that nothing would change and he would still sign him.

That had a massive effect on their reputation as an employer.

But the point about the Delap injury was that Stoke still had to sign him anyway ! Clearly The Prize Bully’s made a point of saying how great they were, but it was a solid contract from the moment he signed on loan. Signing players “on loan” at the time was a way of getting around signing restrictions. So they HAD to honour his contract regardless. Don’t make that lot out as heroes in this situation as that simply is not the case.

But the point about the Delap injury was that Stoke still had to sign him anyway ! Clearly The Prize Bully’s made a point of saying how great they were, but it was a solid contract from the moment he signed on loan. Signing players “on loan” at the time was a way of getting around signing restrictions. So they HAD to honour his contract regardless. Don’t make that lot out as heroes in this situation as that simply is not the case.

They didn't for the record he could have returned to his parent club it was only a gentleman's agreement at that point, they gave Marc Wilson a new contract just after he broke his leg also and extended Wilkinson's and Ireland's contracts after injury to help them get rehabilitated.

That's not a dig at Vale by the way, I know that money is tighter away from the Premier League but I suppose it would have been nice if the club could have facilitated it.

They didn't for the record he could have returned to his parent club it was only a gentleman's agreement at that point, they gave Marc Wilson a new contract just after he broke his leg also and extended Wilkinson's and Ireland's contracts after injury to help them get rehabilitated.

That's not a dig at Vale by the way, I know that money is tighter away from the Premier League but I suppose it would have been nice if the club could have facilitated it.

I hear what you say, but I stand by my comments. Perhaps we shall have to agree to differ.

I hear what you say, but I stand by my comments. Perhaps we shall have to agree to differ.

It's 100% true as Rory himself confirmed at a Supporters Club meeting he was the guest at and again on a pre-season tour of Austria when we were chatting to him in the hotel lobby. But you're of course entitled to your opinion.

The answer to your question is quite simple. Footballers will go to the club who pay the most with little, if any, thought about other issues. I hate to spoil people’s illusions about players but that is the harsh reality.

Yatesy had an offer from Mansfield a few seasons ago and was offered quite a bit more money than what he was on with us - He stayed with the Vale.

Yatesy was playing for the club when we went into admin and he didn’t get paid for weeks - He stayed with the Vale.

Yatesy and other players had their contracts cancelled and had no guarantee of wages when the Ryder deal fell through - He stayed with the Vale

When Norman slashed the budget (his wages) and decimated the squad - He stayed with the Vale

We should be doing everything in our power to look after him, give him until the end of the season, so he’s at least got something to fall back on if he struggles to get another club. Also, we really should be pushing the boat out for a testimonial to thank him for his long term efforts and everything he’s been through at the Vale.

Instead we’re throwing him on the **** heap. Am I surprised? Of course not, it’s the Vale way.

Archived