onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Paedophile coach at Crewe?

valeparklife

Is there an element of no smoke without fire? We've all heard the chants and jokes about the Crewe set up. And seeing the interviews these guys are pretty sure that senior management at Crewe were covering it up.

Incredible really and I can see this blowing up massively now.

That's what I've been thinking, I'm expecting this to become something really big, & possibly end up involving more than one or two perpetrators too. It just seems really unlikely that nobody had a clue what was going on.

Advert

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/barry-bennell-sexual-abuse-scandal-manchester-city-leeds-stoke-crewe-a7437541.html

Seems like Stoke won't be allowed to remain silent for much longer. Like I said previously, I remember playing for Stone Dominoes wearing the Stoke strip every time we played. Can't believe Stoke have said no one currently working there remembers him, I'm guessing Peter Coates had no knowledge of the people he employed during his first tenure. I know Macari isn't at Stoke anymore, but he was Manager when Bennell was there.

Reading a times interview earlier with Ian Ackley (who provided key evidence to first get him convicted) mentions Bennell's assistant who travelled everywhere with him. I remember him well but for the life of me can't remember his name. He simply MUST have known what was going on. Crewe, Stoke and Stone Dominoes would both be able to help investigations into that bloke.

When this first appeared on this forum a couple of Vale fans used it to get at Crewe, that is not the case now, the posts on here have been sympathetic and precise, and credit to the Vale posters. If you are not sure about how this has effected the players who have come forward,look at the clips of the Victoria Derbyshire programme on the BBB web. Very very moving.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/barry-bennell-sexual-abuse-scandal-manchester-city-leeds-stoke-crewe-a7437541.html

Seems like Stoke won't be allowed to remain silent for much longer. Like I said previously, I remember playing for Stone Dominoes wearing the Stoke strip every time we played. Can't believe Stoke have said no one currently working there remembers him, I'm guessing Peter Coates had no knowledge of the people he employed during his first tenure. I know Macari isn't at Stoke anymore, but he was Manager when Bennell was there.

Reading a times interview earlier with Ian Ackley (who provided key evidence to first get him convicted) mentions Bennell's assistant who travelled everywhere with him. I remember him well but for the life of me can't remember his name. He simply MUST have known what was going on. Crewe, Stoke and Stone Dominoes would both be able to help investigations into that bloke.

I see that article says that Stone did thorough checks on Bennell's background. If that is true, what did they ask Crewe about why he had been sacked there are what were they told?

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/stone-dominoes-founder-horrified-by-evil-barry-bennell/story-29934765-detail/story.html

Well done Mike and fair play to Bob from Stone Dominoes who has been quite open and honest. Puts a lot of onus on Crewe that interview does. They sacked him, but provided one of a few complimentary references.

Stoke? Coates? Anything?

I see that article says that Stone did thorough checks on Bennell's background. If that is true, what did they ask Crewe about why he had been sacked there are what were they told?

The article from the Sentinel I've linked above goes into a bit more detail. Crewe not coming out of this very well at all. To think they sacked him, then provided glowing references for him to gain employment elsewhere, then he goes on to abuse kids afterwards...wow. If they don't reveal now why they sacked him, then it leaves the door open for a lot of suspicion.

I stand by the comments I made about John Bowler's response on Tuesday before the current maelstrom hit the media. Nothing has changed, Bowler's leadership in this is utterly inept, as is that of Dario Gradi. Dario Gradi says no one knew at the club what was going on. I do not doubt that comment, what I doubt is the failure of Crewe Alex management to see things that should not have been happening and investigate at the time. For example, why were young boys staying overnight at the house of their coach? That was wholly unacceptable then let alone now. If Bowler and Gradi did not know that was happening (ie the overnight stays) in the name of their club then they are culpable by neglect.

Why were they not more enquiring about why some boys left the club or their character and personality changed? Was there no exit interview to determine why young players had dropped off the radar?

The mumbling incompetence of Crewe Alex management is reminiscent of the BBC and various National Health Organisations during the time that Jimmy Saville was operating. There were plenty of rumours about him that were not believed and not investigated.

It is clear that a similar position applies to Crewe Alex, there were rumours, there were signs but they were ignored and for that the Chairman and Manager are both responsible and accountable.

I feel real sympathy for the Crewe Alex supporters. It is a club with a long noble history, and a incredibly long rivalry with Port Vale. I have enjoyed seeing many games involving us in combat on the field, I hope to see some more.

Bowler and Gradi must go now and there must be an independent investigation into the affairs of Crewe Alex from a criminal and football perspective and this must be immediate. I suspect that steps are already in hand for these two investigations. As to Bowler and Gradi's future, it is for them, if they had a shred of honour and integrity they would go and hope that Crewe Alex can recover its reputation.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/25/crewe-barry-bennell-former-board-member

It looks like Bowler and Gradi did know about the allegations against Bennell despite their protestations of ignorance.

Oh dear ...........Crewe are getting deeper and deeper into the mire.

Coates has also denied any knowledge I wonder if they are doing an investigation like Man City.

Archived