onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Two Loan Signings Targeted

VantaaVale

Grimmer was young and improving with experience. However, he is not a right back, nor is Duffy. Yates is the best right back we have and has been for a long time. However, there is a strong prejudice against him amongst some vocal supporters. Perhaps this is because he was not very good when he first came, and is one of the very few players who has improved during his stay at the Vale.

I'd say its probably because he backs off, and backs off, and backs off his man and allows far too many balls to come into the box from our right (I do agree that he has improved though, but not enough to warrant being a regular starter in League 1).

Advert

He did he said it then slightly back tracked. Right back is definitely where we are weakest.

Centre back is our weakest area. I appeciate Yates is 31 and a solid league one player and if we want to progress we need a new young full back but all this Yates bashing is beyond belief, we could get promoted with him at fullback and replace next season if required.

My worry is we have the same back 4 as last season apart from Davis leaving & McGivern signing.

We have a stronger midfield IMO.

We have lost around 30 goals from JMW, Loft, Hugill & Tomlin.

Who will score the goals-that is my concern, lack of goals & the same back 4

Centre back is our weakest area. I appeciate Yates is 31 and a solid league one player and if we want to progress we need a new young full back but all this Yates bashing is beyond belief, we could get promoted with him at fullback and replace next season if required.

He has improved, didn't rate him particularly last season but the season before he improved immeasurably.

He has two faults that he backs off players until they are generally in our box and his crosses into the opponents box generally don't tend to beat the first or second man, you can see that from the amount of ranting Popey does at him.

He's decent back as a squad player but certainly not a solid league 1 player as he wasn't first choice for chunks of his only real season in it last season.

He has improved, didn't rate him particularly last season but the season before he improved immeasurably.

He has two faults that he backs off players until they are generally in our box and his crosses into the opponents box generally don't tend to beat the first or second man, you can see that from the amount of ranting Popey does at him.

He's decent back as a squad player but certainly not a solid league 1 player as he wasn't first choice for chunks of his only real season in it last season.

Couldn't have put it better myself. League 2 is his level - squad player only in this league, especially if we want to be at the top end. Good pro though.

Yates is alright, he's a good squad player but certainly not as good as you say. Personally I think he's the weak link at the minute, think we need a first team right back to join and have Yates as back up.

Yates is not League 1 level...league 2 at best his distribution lets him down very often just punting the ball forward into either no-mans land or straight to an oponent....Robertson is the same we need to be calmer on the ball and use a simple pass to the midfield for them to move it forward instead of this aimless punt upfield.....drives me insane!!!

I thinked i,ve watched too many world cup games where passing to a teammate is the norm!!

Yates is a good league one right back, I'm with G4E, the stick he gets on here is ridiculous.

With respect, he's not L1 standard. As mentioned by previous posters he gets beaten by the winger too often and his crossing is average at best. Add to this the amount of times he has got beaten at the far post in the air?

As we push on, we need to increase the quality.

The people who are saying Yates isn't good enough can back up their argument (poor distribution/backs off too much/ poor on the ball) but I haven't seen one reason as to why some people think he's any good

In my opinion he's OK but last season he was probably the worst regular player in the 1st team apart from griff

Yates is not League 1 level...league 2 at best his distribution lets him down very often just punting the ball forward into either no-mans land or straight to an oponent....Robertson is the same we need to be calmer on the ball and use a simple pass to the midfield for them to move it forward instead of this aimless punt upfield.....drives me insane!!!

I thinked i,ve watched too many world cup games where passing to a teammate is the norm!!

Spot on. I think the biggest difference between premiership standard and our league is ball retention. If we retain possession then the opposition can't hurt you. Too many times defenders just panic and punt the ball upfield, hoping Popey will get on the end of it. Invariably it comes straight back at us and puts the defence back under pressure. Lets hope with Brown, O'Connor & Lines that we have an outlet to play & keep the ball.

100% agree with that.

Archived