onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Crosby is Out NOW !!!

ollyandpatch

Advert

31 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Per Baggers in 'The Valiant':

37 games by January 1st is, by a clear margin, the most we've ever played at that stage of the season.

Previous highest was 31 in 95/96 and 87/88.

A game every 4 days. 

We've quite possibly played more than any other team in the division - l don't think too many have had 4 games in the FA Cup, certainly none had 5 in the Carabao Cup....not to mention the Silly Cup. 

It would be absurd not to take this into account when assessing our fortunes up until now. 

1 hour ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Charlton H , Reading A , Wycombe H  & Portsmouth H This month could end up sealing Bings fate , The safety first tactics aren't going to work against this lot .

Reading & Wycombe are <ovf censored>, Charlton are similar to Blackpool struggling for form. The fixtures aren’t as horrendous as they sound. We do however need senior players back fit and reinforcements to get positive results. I would have no complaints if we perform like we did against Wigan but I have no confidence that will be the case and it will be more like Barnsley and Cheltenham. I wouldn’t hold your breathe for Crosby to be removed.

To me the league is nothing special year - I long for us to play like Peterborough with pace up front and have a go at teams.

2 hours ago, Nippy Naylor said:

Charlton H , Reading A , Wycombe H  & Portsmouth H This month could end up sealing Bings fate , The safety first tactics aren't going to work against this lot .

Only at Vale would we make a decision on January 27th after Pompey. 

I think Crosby is here until the summer now. 

9 hours ago, darren1810 said:

My own take on this is I thought Joe made a very good post earlier comparing the Page era. It was boring particularly away where many games were shocking. Odd exception obviously. 

Finishing 14th is fine by me. There can't be many level headed Vale fans expecting a play off challenge. Maybe our fast start of 5-1-1 did us no favours.

However the reason I'm disillusioned is the football has been dire. I really enjoyed the more direct approach v Blackpool.  I can accept defeat . Goodness knows I've seen enough in 50 years. I really can't put my finger on it . Forget the so called Happy Clapper brigade or the moaning Minnie's. Let's try and understand why fans are disengaged. 

Just why are so many of our fanbase feeling this way. It's not a few dissenting voices either. I saw versus Barnsley with my own eyes a guy who does absolutely loads for the club pleading with Carol to get rid as we trudged off to a catcall of boos. A guy who puts a lot of coin Vale's way. 

We have not got entitled opinions of grandeur. We're Port Vale. But why are there continued concerns and calls for change when we are where we should be ?

It's the mind boggling team selection. Square pegs in round holes. The baffling substitutions which make no sense. And the reluctance to deviate from this new found Port Vale way. 

I'm fed up of your Lincoln and Carlisle scenarios where both were avoidable yet nobody was surprised we conceded so late.

I'll be there Saturday, I'll be at Reading the weekend after. But it's a struggle watching some of the performances. 

It's not actually about the be all and end all of winning. I'd like us to get me off my seat and have a go. If we lose so be it. But some of the football has driven me to despair. That's why I'm disillusioned. 

Great post and agree with everything there and after never missing a game under awful managers like Aspin, Bruno, Brown, I never thought I would miss one, I have chosen to miss Exeter and Carlisle in recent weeks.  The reason is not because of the results but the boring football that has been served up in recent months.  Make no mistake this is not the worst team in recent seasons, we have had a lot more poorer sides than this current team and I genuinely believe this season we were a finisher away and a decent manager away from a top 10 side.  The frustration for me has been with the manager and the negative tactics that we have often set up with either from the start or after going a goal up.

Whilst there's been some poor performances there's absolutely no chance that this is worse/more boring than Aspin or Brown's worst. Not even close. There seems to be hyperbole everywhere. 

I genuinely feel like I've been overtaken in despair by a lot of fans. I've been pretty miserable about Vale for 12 months, but the last fortnight or so has gone to stratospheric levels of doom - beyond where I'm at and seemingly at a point I haven't been at since Smurthwaite was blowing us up.

Could things be better? Considerably so, and a change of manager would probably help.

Are we also in our best overall position for nearly 15 years? Yes, considering we've only finished above 15th in League 1 twice since 2007, and we've now got an owner with good and not bad intentions. The academy is clearly much better, attendances are as high as they've been in ages (averaging over 7k at home! That's brilliant for us! Last season and this season's home averages are the highest since 2000, and if you remove the glory years of 1990-98, our highest since 1964!) and Vale Park is (slowly) getting the work that has been put off for 30 years.

We've got 4 very winnable games (all 14th or below) in our next 5, each with a week in between to prepare for and get players fit. We've played a game every 4 days for five months, a club record and as far as I can see, more than anyone else in professional football. We've won 3 of our last 6 and picked up 10 points from 18. As much as we had a very fortuitous run and bottled the occasion (though we did have the stuffing knocked out of us by a wild deflection), we did reach a major quarter final.

I'm just trying to find the middle ground between 'everything is great, Flitcroft is a genius, Crosby is magnificent' and 'this is the worst it is ever been, Carol needs to go, and I'm going to stop attending as I'm so bored'. Our last three home games have been pretty entertaining, scoring 8 and seeing 13 goals in total.

I don't want to attend the Happy Clappers Club or the Doom and Gloom Gathering - is there a Things Aren't Great and Could Be Better But I'm Not Overly Upset About It And Things Will Probably Be OK If A Bit Dull Symposium?  There will be slightly underwhelming snacks and Coke which is a bit flat.

7 hours ago, The French Connection said:

Eustace was doing a good job at Birmingham.  They did the same thing a few years back when they sacked a succeeding manager (forget who) and brought in the star name of Emile Zola.  He was catastrophic too, sacked after 22 games, I think.  Their CEO, Cook, sounds like an absolute headcase. They should have packed him off with Rooney.  Just to clinch it, Rooney had Karl Robinson as his No 2 😂

J’Accuse…!  think you meant GianfranoZola 😉

This is from the statement by the Chief Exec of Birmingham City.

’Rooney did try to get the team playing out from the back.

But considering the quality of the  players at his disposal, this change in philosophy seemed risky.

The poor results on the pitch proved the change in style was a mistake.’

9 hours ago, smithie said:

We've quite possibly played more than any other team in the division - l don't think too many have had 4 games in the FA Cup, certainly none had 5 in the Carabao Cup....not to mention the Silly Cup. 

It would be absurd not to take this into account when assessing our fortunes up until now. 

It seems we have played 37 (THIRTY SEVEN!) games already this season.  A club record. It must be a major factor in determining who plays and how we play. 

20 minutes ago, The French Connection said:

It seems we have played 37 (THIRTY SEVEN!) games already this season.  A club record. It must be a major factor in determining who plays and how we play. 

The club has played 37 games yet only 7 (SEVEN!) have started 20 games or more. Arblaster, Chislett, Garrity, Ojo, Ripley, Sang, and Smith. One could argue those seven include six who, with Devine, have been our most (perhaps only) consistent performers. 

The biggest factor in determining who and how we play is the manager?

Archived