onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

Advert

1 hour ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

I guess you have to gamble if you're going to try and land successful younger players but, yeah, you're right. I think Cass would be a much better player now if he'd been given the opportunities and second chances that Balmer had. I'm not party to rumours but I've never heard anything negative about the way Lewis conducts himself, it seems a shame for him to be discarded like this.

Does seem strange, given I seem to remember there being a bit of a fanfare when we signed him.

Ever since the first real transfer window Darrell Clarke had and we pretty much brought in a whole promotion squad, I have had to seriously manage my expectations. Most transfer windows have come and gone with me feeling seriously underwhelmed. At this point anything we bring in will be a boon to my mental health.

I just don’t see why we constantly disregard this window. Yes it’s more expensive / difficult to sign players, but others do it whilst we stand still / go backwards, signing loans to fill gaps for 6 months and then needing to sign more players in the summer. 

Every window should be used to strengthen and I feel we constantly waste this window as it’s too expensive. 

• Like 4

Yes i get signing players costs money however folk need a reason to go the games and more important continue to sign up to there yearly Port Vale season ticket matchday experience etc .

Losing 100 supporters who buy  a season ticket  is too many losing more is only going take the club one way and if will not be forwards .

So what we do over next 48 hrs is critical to the overall well being of the club .

If we gambled and found the money and wages for say someone like Clark Johnson and he scored goals we win half of remaining games and we have 1500 new season ticket holders because there delighted with our goalscoring forward would that not be better than not speculating to accumulate 

Personally that's what I'd do but I'm not the person making the decisions. 

Like I say big 48 hrs for the club 

25 minutes ago, robf said:

I'm with you on this. 

I think in an ideal world, you don't have to do too much in the January window, just maybe the odd loan in and out. In that ideal world you then don't pay over the odds for players.

However, for a couple of January windows we've not been in that ideal world. It's something to aspire to and would be great if we could do it but we're simply not there. Last January we were in dire need of striking additions with a day or so to go and this window (oh look it's the same)...

I think there's a short-term question - which is there's some maths to be done weighing up whether it's worth paying over the odds for someone who will potentially keep us in the division and not paying it and the loss of income a relegation battle may result in. 

And then there's the long-term question of - how do they make sure the squad is balanced so this doesn't happen every January. That's for another day but, a starter for one, I think they need to think about the number of players with injury issues that came in the summer. 

But right now, with hours to go, I think the club has to think about what needs to be done to keep us safe, even if that is breaking the bank for someone. 

Everything's fine

The port vale circus is in town

Robbie Williams at the helm!

Seriously they don't seem as bothered,   I don't think league tables or results are looked at.

Apparently we have good losses...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1