onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

Advert

Interesting research into football finances on Twitter.

Since 2014, there has been a collective net pre-tax loss of £2.9bn between Championship clubs.

Of the 214 teams to post accounts in that time, 181 posted a pre-tax loss 

Only 33 posted a pre-tax profit - and 8 of those were relegated. Only 3 achieved promotion, and 2 of those had parachute payments.

There's been one team in the last 10 years of the Championship to get promoted, without parachute payments, without posting a loss (Burnley 13/14, although they technically did lose money due to promotion bonuses).

The biggest single year pre-tax loss? Stoke City, £88.3m in 2020. The very worst of any club over a 10 year period. They have the 5th highest losses over the last 10 years, despite only being in the league since 2018. They are very, very fortunate to have the Coates.

Football is absolutely knackered. The idea that we can ever spend our way to competing at that level is fanciful, bordering on the miraculous. You effectively have to burn through millions just to stay up. We were losing a million a year just getting out of League 2.

Dunno what my point is. I guess that it's we're so far off the Championship, especially financially, that it's daft to even think about it at this stage. There's so much to do before we can even hope to finish 20th in that league.

Edited by JoeB2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Interesting research into football finances on Twitter.

Since 2014, there has been a collective net pre-tax loss of £2.9bn between Championship clubs.

Of the 214 teams to post accounts in that time, 181 posted a pre-tax loss 

Only 33 posted a pre-tax profit - and 8 of those were relegated. Only 3 achieved promotion, and 2 of those had parachute payments.

There's been one team in the last 10 years of the Championship to get promoted, without parachute payments, without posting a loss (Burnley 13/14, although they technically did lose money due to promotion bonuses).

The biggest single year pre-tax loss? Stoke City, £88.3m in 2020. The very worst of any club over a 10 year period. They have the 5th highest losses over the last 10 years, despite only being in the league since 2018. They are very, very fortunate to have the Coates.

Football is absolutely knackered. The idea that we can ever spend our way to competing at that level is fanciful, bordering on the miraculous. You effectively have to burn through millions just to stay up. We were losing a million a year just getting out of League 2.

Dunno what my point is. I guess that it's we're so far off the Championship, especially financially, that it's daft to even think about it at this stage. There's so much to do before we can even hope to finish 20th in that league.

The championship is a busted flush cash wise.. Absolute pit of debt ridden clubs mortgaging their future for a shot at the supposed promised land whilst desperately hoping they avoid the trap door to oblivion and financial ruin that comes via relegation. It's a mess.

On 21/01/2024 at 23:12, manc_vale said:

Well spotted.  It's funny how this transfer forum has become a haven of bickering to the extent that this nugget which is reported in multiple sources has gone overlooked..

Not sure whether this has been addressed, but this "nugget" has been discussed over previous pages...mostly with optimism!

Edited by LancyTony
Spelling

11 hours ago, Emile said:

I do agree let's see on Feb 1st but...

Arblaster > Jenson Weir. Unproven loan replacement replacing our probably best player this season so far
Devine > Gore probably coming in. Unproven loan replacement replacing arguably our best player in December
Balmer > Williams = proven not good enough, unproved loan replacement
Thomas > no replacement yet
Conlon > no replacement yet 

I don't think you can argue we are replacing departing players with better permanent signings because we haven't made a permanent signing so far. Balmer wasn't good enough so his replacement is potentially better already. The other two might be better than what we had, or they might not.

Like I say, I am waiting until Feb 1st to really judge things but I really hope we do improve our squad for the second half of the season.

Feb 2nd. Transfer window closes at 11pm Feb 1st,

Sorry - wasn't trying to play oneupmanship or anything, just clarifying that the window closes on the 1st so we take stock on the 2nd, really?

Edited by LancyTony
Additional comment
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

I knew you would come back with the best in Europe.

What about League one?

It's like this, Brian - Man City...Liverpool...Arsenal...do not learn from the coaching at Accrington Stanley (unless a revolutionary new coach has the chance to show a brand new philosophy?). But the evolution of the game of football starts at, or near the top, and filters downwards. It's how we've moved from 5.3.2. through 4.4.2. and 4.3.3. to playing with "false nines" and, occasionally, no recognised striker. Other sports have evolved in other ways - cricket has adopted shorter games to augment what was already on offer. Limited overs supposedly offer more excitement? It's just the way sport goes. At one time the "Fosbury Flop" was unheard of (especially in cricket!) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, manc_vale said:

The championship is a busted flush cash wise.. Absolute pit of debt ridden clubs mortgaging their future for a shot at the supposed promised land whilst desperately hoping they avoid the trap door to oblivion and financial ruin that comes via relegation. It's a mess.

The Premier League has clubs losing vast amounts of money. But losing say £100 million over 3 years will be funded by owners. 

The Financial Fair Play Rules are also doing something weird. Preventing a club that has owners loaded with vast cash resources from spending to a big enough extent to grow and challenge Man City. That's  Newcastle. They're stuck. In fact they need to sell players and will go backwards. 

Football has always had funding issues. Today is no different overall, but there are new variants of problems. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, andy jones said:

Can you or anyone else posting on here name me one match where you have seen the opposition player at kick off pass it pack to his keeper.

How can you possibly say many other teams do it!

Maybe I was already 😴

Watch. Watch football and see for yourself!

Not counting Lowe and Walters in midfield (as personally I don't fancy them) is Ojo (when fit), Sang, Chissy, Weir and Gore (if he signs) enough in midfield?

We've lost: Blaster, Devine, Conlon and Garrity (injury).

And is the balance right in midfield? Not sure what type of midfielder Gore is?

Edited by Diego Maradona

Not counting Lowe and Walters in midfield (as personally I don't fancy them) is Ojo (when fit), Sang, Chissy, Weir and Gore (if he signs) enough in midfield?
We've lost: Blaster, Devine, Conlon and Garrity (injury).
And is the balance right in midfield? Not sure what type of midfielder Gore is?
Ask at the forum.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app