onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Carlisle Utd (H) match thread Aug 26th.

ollyandpatch

Game 5 and we welcome a Carlisle side still looking for their first win in league 1 having being promoted through the playoffs as we did the season before. 

They have collected 2 points from a possible 12 (both draws at home)

When the fixtures came out I would have settled for 5 points from August could we get 10? ! 🤔

Advert

I’d be feeling very confident about this one, were it not for the fact that Carlisle have yet to win a game.  Despite recent results we’re still short up top and still look vulnerable at the other end at times, although we should have enough quality if everyone is fit.

Carlisle not won yet you say? This has 0-1 written all over it!

They tend to play 2 up front, and quite narrow in MF, which could be an ideal match-up for our formation, allowing us to push the WBs further forward, so perhaps Clark on the left and Plant on the right in that case? Happy enough with Grant and Clark if not tho.

I also wonder, assuming Chislett is fit, do we go with having him, Wilson and Thomas all in the starting XI, with Garrity dropping to the bench? Garrity is great, and his energy is always needed when we're expecting a low % of possession, but in this kind of game, where we are favourites and expected to have more of the ball, I feel like Wilson could be deployed effectively as the player to pick the lock.

Ripley

Smith        Jones     Yak

Plant          Arblaster    Ojo         Clark

Chislett

Wilson        Thomas

30 minutes ago, Clayts said:

They tend to play 2 up front, and quite narrow in MF, which could be an ideal match-up for our formation, allowing us to push the WBs further forward, so perhaps Clark on the left and Plant on the right in that case? Happy enough with Grant and Clark if not tho.

I also wonder, assuming Chislett is fit, do we go with having him, Wilson and Thomas all in the starting XI, with Garrity dropping to the bench? Garrity is great, and his energy is always needed when we're expecting a low % of possession, but in this kind of game, where we are favourites and expected to have more of the ball, I feel like Wilson could be deployed effectively as the player to pick the lock.

Ripley

Chislett

Wilson        Thomas

Think Chislett will be fit, sounds like he didnt come off due to anything serious as after the game he told Crosby he always scores at the Valley and he joked "I wish he'd told me that before the game and I'd have kept him on!"

Ripley
                              Chislett
                   Wilson        Thomas
I like the look of that team, I'd go with that

Quite a few of their players known to us. Holy (will have a stormer), Guy, Edmondsen, Butterworth. Plus the lovely Joe Garner I think
Shoot low for Holy. I can't imagine he can get down to shots any better than before. Edmondson is a grafter but never a goalscorer, so not much threat you'd hope. Butterworth was on the subs bench but as we saw, he plays on the perrifory of games. Guy is a good player and Moxon is their best player but might be moving before the end of the transfer window.

If we're at our best, we have a stronger team than them but we all know what happens when we get a bit of expectation....

Well Looking how these have been setting up away, they play very defensive and look to hit on the break ,so i cant see there being much space in behind their defence, were going to have to be patient and break them down
From what I've seen so far, we've got far more technical nous to break teams like this down than last season. Arblaster, Chislett, and Clark are crucial to this, and the pace of Thomas could be the icing on the cake.

21 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I’d be feeling very confident about this one, were it not for the fact that Carlisle have yet to win a game.  Despite recent results we’re still short up top and still look vulnerable at the other end at times, although we should have enough quality if everyone is fit.

I suspect you're right to feel cautious, we have a knack of gifting games to teams that have struggled!

I think this is a good game to show where we really are in the league. We've played against teams where we are the underdog and have more points than expected. Now we play Carlisle - a place and club I like - who are in a group of clubs fighting to stay up. If we win this, and other similar games, we will finish comfortably in mid table. So let's go and do it. 

Archived