onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

End of season awards

Powerline

3 hours ago, hamilboy said:

Played against Great Chell a number of times was not much fun watching Wes Hall running into bowl.Then you played Norton with Sobers in their team.We had Nasim ul Ghani a true gentleman who always helped us young players in practice sessions those were great days for staffordshire cricket.

Not to mention the recently deceased gentleman of Vince Lindo. 

Advert

11 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

I can only remember Chris Balderston, Phil Neale and Ian Botham. I suppose in those days, players had to find some sort of employment for the summer, as those that did get paid were on a reduced salary out of season.

Ted Hemsley.Local lad too. Sure he ended up down the pit at Lea Hall in Brereton,Rugeley.One member of his family did for sure

Just back to the player of the year awards. The news article on the official site with the vote in it said:

Supporters can cast their vote below and voting will close 5pm Friday 12th May 2023 with the result announced on our social media channels on Saturday 13th May. 

Was this the case? I didn't see any result on the 13th May so is this something else the club got wrong. It seems a bit embarrassing if you announce you're going to do something and then it doesn't happen when you say it will. Unless I missed the tweet of course...

1 hour ago, robf said:

Just back to the player of the year awards. The news article on the official site with the vote in it said:

Supporters can cast their vote below and voting will close 5pm Friday 12th May 2023 with the result announced on our social media channels on Saturday 13th May. 

Was this the case? I didn't see any result on the 13th May so is this something else the club got wrong. It seems a bit embarrassing if you announce you're going to do something and then it doesn't happen when you say it will. Unless I missed the tweet of course...

The news article was the case, but voting was still open on the Saturday, as I voted on the Saturday.

Not seen anything from the club though.

I only check Twitter, and main reason I'm back here is it looks like about the only place to get Vale news now. 😄 If you don't know Rob, I don't think anybody at the club does either.

On 15/05/2023 at 12:10, Playa Amodores said:

I can only remember Chris Balderston, Phil Neale and Ian Botham. I suppose in those days, players had to find some sort of employment for the summer, as those that did get paid were on a reduced salary out of season.

I remember the West Ham keeper Jim Standen won the FA Cup in 1964 and won the County Championship with Worcestershire in the same year!

I remember the West Ham keeper Jim Standen won the FA Cup in 1964 and won the County Championship with Worcestershire in the same year!
Brian Close ended his football career playing centre forward for Bradford City at Vale Park, injured in a tackle by Tommy Cheadle.

The goal of the season compilation is a bit of a glimpse of some of our issues. We rarely scored any goals from outside of the area but conceded lots. We've lacked a real good striker of the ball from distance. Hence we often tried to overplay it in and around the box instead of shooting.

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:
2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Brian Close ended his football career playing centre forward for Bradford City at Vale Park, injured in a tackle by Tommy Cheadle.

Tommy Cheadle was one hell of a centre half probably the best that vale have ever had if he injured Brian Close with a tackle he was tough aswell.Wes Hall and Charlie Griffith could not move Brian with a cricket ball in a test match that that they kept hitting his body with one of the toughest cricketers ever to play the game.

Tommy Cheadle was one hell of a centre half probably the best that vale have ever had if he injured Brian Close with a tackle he was tough aswell.Wes Hall and Charlie Griffith could not move Brian with a cricket ball in a test match that that they kept hitting his body with one of the toughest cricketers ever to play the game.
Sliding tackles were legal in those days. A forward was expecting them, mishaps were painful.

I know I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but the Supporters Club getting Clarke to come to an event thats nothing to do with him seems to be going out of their way to stick it to the club. I get people may want to thank him but bloody hell, we didn't do this for Micky Adams...

Archived