onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

End of season awards

Powerline

Advert

With the online poll up, there's clearly no awards event this year. Clearly trying to get people to buy a table at  £1,000 has resulted in no event and no revenue.

I wonder therefore if next year having it at say a tenner a ticket would result in a packed lounge and you'd then get a decent atmosphere and decent bar proceeds? It also opens the event up to more fans to attend too.

However, having said all that I do sympathise with the club a bit - it's very easy saying this in hindsight. They won't get the price right every time.

I guess it shows ambition to try and make it a "corporate" event but it just didn't work out this time. I think maybe it's the wrong activity for such high prices. I think you have to think about what folk are prepared to pay a hundred quid a head and what they'd want in return - clearly attendance at an awards night isn't it -  and I'd hope they learn from it.

No club is faultless and this is an error but in the grand scheme of things, apart from missing a chance to bring in some more corporate revenue, is it that big a deal? 

1 minute ago, Vale 1971 said:

Why should heads roll.
Every other season if they have a player of the season awards night on night after the game in a day where they usually play really crap and lose .
Best doing it when seasons over .
I don't think it's a big deal at all

Sent from my SM-A202F using onevalefan mobile app

Yes,have when half the players wont attend because they are on holiday. Perhaps you could pick the trophy up and pass it on to whoever wins.

24 minutes ago, robf said:

With the online poll up, there's clearly no awards event this year. Clearly trying to get people to buy a table at  £1,000 has resulted in no event and no revenue.

I wonder therefore if next year having it at say a tenner a ticket would result in a packed lounge and you'd then get a decent atmosphere and decent bar proceeds? It also opens the event up to more fans to attend too.

However, having said all that I do sympathise with the club a bit - it's very easy saying this in hindsight. They won't get the price right every time.

I guess it shows ambition to try and make it a "corporate" event but it just didn't work out this time. I think maybe it's the wrong activity for such high prices. I think you have to think about what folk are prepared to pay a hundred quid a head and what they'd want in return - clearly attendance at an awards night isn't it -  and I'd hope they learn from it.

No club is faultless and this is an error but in the grand scheme of things, apart from missing a chance to bring in some more corporate revenue, is it that big a deal? 

I just think its a shame there was no event that the fans could attend to mix with the players . The corporate brigade are there all the time . We are in danger of becoming a 2 teir club . I hope there is an open day this year .   

I think it's poor show. As a community club, does this not show disrespect? It was always a thrill for the average supporter to mix with the players and in turn for them to show their human side.

Corporate facility could have included a pre dinner meal and later awards and a bar facility for the normal paying clan.

Think this is a downward, I'll thought out idea.

Supporters club have trumped them and Vale hierarchy should feel ashamed.

Anyway. Rant over 

Why should heads roll?

First and foremost we are a football club. As has been seen in a recent poll the Vale have come 89th out of 92 clubs for fan satisfaction. Didn't we finish in the top three the first year after Carol bought the club? So what has gone wrong?

Football is not like any other business and relies solely on what fans think of the club. Fan engagement is major in this. Of course a winning team will always make fans happy with the club, but as with clubs like the Vale successful seasons are few and far between. so what we need to do is keep fans onside during the poor runs.

Fans will always identify with the players and so any encouragement should be made to have fans and players mixing. You only have to see how having players in the club shop on late openings to see how this is a successful thing to do

Keeping fans happy is so important that you would think anyone worth their salt would use any excuse to keep your customers happy with this player/fan involvement and would always look to bring the two groups together.

If the person/people cannot see this then they should not be at our club and we should bring someone in who has the football club's image and fan interest at the foremost of his plans.

By not bothering to organise a proper player of the year vote and evening seems to me to be someone who cannot be bothered to do it. Last year it was a promotion party time that was apparently not able to be done because of the upcoming Robbie concert. What was wrong with having a celebration night when the players came back from Spain and before the start of this season. This would have been another money making event where with being able to sell merchandise etc. Again why not?

Heads should roll. 

1 hour ago, rayzer said:

Why should heads roll?

First and foremost we are a football club. As has been seen in a recent poll the Vale have come 89th out of 92 clubs for fan satisfaction. Didn't we finish in the top three the first year after Carol bought the club? So what has gone wrong?

Football is not like any other business and relies solely on what fans think of the club. Fan engagement is major in this. Of course a winning team will always make fans happy with the club, but as with clubs like the Vale successful seasons are few and far between. so what we need to do is keep fans onside during the poor runs.

Fans will always identify with the players and so any encouragement should be made to have fans and players mixing. You only have to see how having players in the club shop on late openings to see how this is a successful thing to do

Keeping fans happy is so important that you would think anyone worth their salt would use any excuse to keep your customers happy with this player/fan involvement and would always look to bring the two groups together.

If the person/people cannot see this then they should not be at our club and we should bring someone in who has the football club's image and fan interest at the foremost of his plans.

By not bothering to organise a proper player of the year vote and evening seems to me to be someone who cannot be bothered to do it. Last year it was a promotion party time that was apparently not able to be done because of the upcoming Robbie concert. What was wrong with having a celebration night when the players came back from Spain and before the start of this season. This would have been another money making event where with being able to sell merchandise etc. Again why not?

Heads should roll. 

They must be too busy organising this years open day ........

Probably the wrong place to put this but I couldn’t find anywhere suitable.  Having watched the goal of the season nominations, they appear to prove my suspicions right, that there was a bit of animosity between Massey and Garrity. Massey clearly pushes Garrity away when he’s trying to congratulate him for scoring. 

I remember another goal Massey scored, Garrity didn’t celebrate with him and just walked off. I found it odd as that’s not the normal Garrity character we’re used to but then having seen the reaction on the nomination goal, I can understand why. 

11 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

They used to hold the game at Norton CC

11 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

They used to hold the game at Norton CC

You are correct and the vale have had some very good cricketers in the past Basil Hayward played for Staffordshire and Ian Buxton played for Derbyshire and was captain for years.

On 10/05/2023 at 14:54, rayzer said:

Why should heads roll?

Heads should roll. 

The only reason I can see and I have nothing to back it up.Nothing more than a guess.Maybe ,maybe someone did think about doing one in the normally way.But was over ruled by someone higher up as they wanted to make more money (understandable).But the new idea was way overpriced.So we now have nothing.

You are correct and the vale have had some very good cricketers in the past Basil Hayward played for Staffordshire and Ian Buxton played for Derbyshire and was captain for years.
Higgs ?
Late 50s centre half, did not make the first team. Saw him play on Hanley Meakins pitch.

Archived