onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Bristol Rovers

Fosse69

4 minutes ago, Valiant in Brum said:
26 minutes ago, Warren said:
We don't know what his wages are. 

We don't but he is still taking one that could be put somewhere else.

I get this. But the reason we didn't sign someone like Stockton is because he wanted too much and also has not been fit (guessing). Strikers cost more. Ability wise, there are not better support attacker players than Wilson at L1 level. 

Change, especially big change, is always risky in any business. The best route is incremental change and try to keep most of our strike force if they can stay fit between them.

Advert

Charlton is very winnable, lost 6-0 last week, beaten 3-2 at home against Morecambe and on the beach so no reason we can’t get our first double.

Oddly I have had a feeling for a while we are doing to wreck another Devon promotion party. It’s key now for momentum and positivity going into the summer than we produce the levels of yesterday into the last two games.

Another point also makes it irrelevant what anyone else does and i want us to get to 50 points as still feels a bit like a kop out avoiding relegation on less than 50, we went down on 49 last time so from a psychological point of view.

All we want is effort and not the lazy attitude of some recent games, as they saw yesterday do that we will back you to the hilt regardless of ability.

Is setting up for AC to get the job if we get another 3-4 points, personally I don’t mind that, it’s worked for Plymouth and it’s not as if his record is bad, we had 1 defeat up until the Rovers game with him last season over something like 18 games and we’ve won 2 of 3 this season (he did Charlton at home).

If your in a job role and do that your hoping for a promotion aren’t you? It may work well but get that many fans will want the big name or experienced man.

3 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Charlton is very winnable, lost 6-0 last week, beaten 3-2 at home against Morecambe and on the beach so no reason we can’t get our first double.

Oddly I have had a feeling for a while we are doing to wreck another Devon promotion party. It’s key now for momentum and positivity going into the summer than we produce the levels of yesterday into the last two games.

Another point also makes it irrelevant what anyone else does and i want us to get to 50 points as still feels a bit like a kop out avoiding relegation on less than 50, we went down on 49 last time so from a psychological point of view.

All we want is effort and not the lazy attitude of some recent games, as they saw yesterday do that we will back you to the hilt regardless of ability.

Is setting up for AC to get the job if we get another 3-4 points, personally I don’t mind that, it’s worked for Plymouth and it’s not as if his record is bad, we had 1 defeat up until the Rovers game with him last season over something like 18 games and we’ve won 2 of 3 this season (he did Charlton at home).

If your in a job role and do that your hoping for a promotion aren’t you? It may work well but get that many fans will want the big name or experienced man.

I’ve said it before, the great JR was a number 2 to Big John McGrath, the rest is history.

18 minutes ago, Warren said:

Worrall is not getting younger albeit his fitness is unquestionable. I don't think we can afford to churn the squad. The best approach is to keep as many as we can and strengthen defence, left back and keeper options. I think we tested our players under Crosby at Ipswich and against mid table Bristol yesterday and when at it they're a pretty useful team at this level. 

I feel Charlton are positioned where we should be if we had not imploded our season in February and March. They're sold mid table. Plymouth could be a very interesting test. I sort of don't want to ruin their party, but it's a chance to show we are really at as a team

After our almost capitulation I would looking to offload as many as possible. Covolan, Stone, Conlon, Pett, Politic, Benning, Wilson, Proctor, Massey, Del Boy, Robinson, Holden......unsure of their contract status. Jake Taylor and Kian Harratt would be improvements. Harratt would start more games, Jake Taylor when playing, compared to anybody else has far more quality than what we have currently. All loanees can return.

52 minutes ago, Valiant in Brum said:
58 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:
I like Wilson. Cult hero status.
One of the absolute basics for being a professional athlete is being fit and available to compete. He rarely is, for a number of reasons. Playing 31% of minutes and scoring 3 goals just isn't anywhere near enough.
For that I think he should be released. I'm also not sure he's quite as irreplaceable as people argue. 

His wages could free up more reliable replacements.

...seems to be the most common reason people give for binning him....  Reliable replacements. Hmmm. Will be interesting.

8 minutes ago, MelbourneValiant said:

After our almost capitulation I would looking to offload as many as possible. Covolan, Stone, Conlon, Pett, Politic, Benning, Wilson, Proctor, Massey, Del Boy, Robinson, Holden......unsure of their contract status. Jake Taylor and Kian Harratt would be improvements. Harratt would start more games, Jake Taylor when playing, compared to anybody else has far more quality than what we have currently. All loanees can return.

Sorry are you for real.

keep Benning robinson (young with potential) Wilson Worrall pett.

no to jake Taylor ( injury prone). Harratt undecided

8 hours ago, werstayinup said:

I know he gets loads of stick on here so I dont expect many to agree but i thought Donnelly had a decent game yesterday,yes he has made mistakes(like they all have) but he is a young lad in his first few months playing League football and i dont think he has been as bad as many make out tbf

Watching another game than me then. We deserved to win despite Donnelly playing, I thought he was shocking yesterday and thank god Benning had a great game as Rovers tried to exploit our weak left side every time they could. In a whole Donnelly has been very poor since joining us and I would have liked to see some improvement but I would say yesterday was possibly his worst game yet for us.

Interestingly Burton could be our insurance policy on the small 500/1 chance of the drop… if they lose at Lincoln they then have to go to Plymouth at weekend. Assuming they lost that we’d be well above them on goal difference which means even if all the 10 results needed went against us, Burton would have then lost to Cambridge and MK for that to happen and almost certainly their goal difference would be far worse than ours.

1 hour ago, Warren said:

I think he can be targeted more because he is a second striker and gets on the ball in the opposition half. It's when he's deep he gets clogged. They would not do that to what I call a penalty box striker. 

He is easily our best player when ball at feet, hence why he will be a target, also, he’s not the fastest so add this then he is also pretty easy to take out.

10 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Interestingly Burton could be our insurance policy on the small 500/1 chance of the drop… if they lose at Lincoln they then have to go to Plymouth at weekend. Assuming they lost that we’d be well above them on goal difference which means even if all the 10 results needed went against us, Burton would have then lost to Cambridge and MK for that to happen and almost certainly their goal difference would be far worse than ours.

Give me £100 and I’ll give you £600/1

4 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Fitness management

It’s a different scenario.  We aren’t usually managing Wilson’s fitness when he comes off.  He’s usually been kicked and is injured, leading to him being missing for the next X number of games.  It’s when he subsequently returns that we manage his fitness, to get him back up to speed.

Archived