onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Squad for next season

Valiiant

I personally do think big changes or needed, the majority of our squad is league 2 level and I think DC will make quite a lot of changes. 
For me, all of the loan players can go back. 
Then, Benning, Massey, Proctor, Wilson, Conlon, Holden can all go. Not sure if I’ve missed anyone off That’s out of contract? I’d keep Worrall for another season but think he will be off for a better, longer deal, the others out of contract I would keep.

If our budget isn’t particular high, we need to ensure we sign quality over quantity but more importantly players that will be available week in week out  injuries destroyed us this season and hampered us last year (why I would let Wilson go) 

I think this window we need to move the majority of league 2 players on and sign league 1 players like Harrison and Ojo. 

Advert

31 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Overachieved? Surely 16th isn’t over achieving and is where we should be? We have been poor since beating Plymouth not just the last few games. 

Compare and contrast that with the fact that, before a ball had been kicked at the start of the season, the bookies had as down as defo getting relegated.

For my part I still think we'll finish the season in the top half of the league.

28 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

If our budget isn’t particular high, we need to ensure we sign quality over quantity but more importantly players that will be available week in week out  injuries destroyed us this season and hampered us last year (why I would let Wilson go) 

While I understand your thinking, if we do go and acquire some good players - lets say James Wilson-2, and he's really good, what will your opinion be if opposition defenders decide to kick him up in the air at every opportunity and cause him (and other good players) lots of injuries.

Watching Willow when he came on last week - seemed to be sprinting for the ball OK to me...??

9 minutes ago, Osh said:

While I understand your thinking, if we do go and acquire some good players - lets say James Wilson-2, and he's really good, what will your opinion be if opposition defenders decide to kick him up in the air at every opportunity and cause him (and other good players) lots of injuries.

Watching Willow when he came on last week - seemed to be sprinting for the ball OK to me...??

The thing with Wilson is that a lot of his injuries aren’t because he’s been kicked about, his whole career he’s been extremely injury prone. Clearly our best player so I completely understand why fans would want him to stay, I just don’t think for the wage he will be on, we are getting anywhere near enough from him and it’s hurt us this season. Yeah he looked ok, didnt look 100% to me and the issue is by the time he gets fully fit were likely to only get a few games before his injured again. 

14 minutes ago, Osh said:

Compare and contrast that with the fact that, before a ball had been kicked at the start of the season, the bookies had as down as defo getting relegated.

For my part I still think we'll finish the season in the top half of the league.

Bookies are more than often wrong, always put the team that goes up in play offs to go down. I don’t think we were ever going to go down personally. I thought we would finish just below half way. I just don’t understand this view that we have overachieved. If we have overachieved in 16th with a minus 15 goal difference then what was acceptable, relegation? For me we’ve done well so far this season, been pretty damn shocking since Plymouth, odd half hour aside and find ourselves probably where abouts we should be. 

Id definitely take top half! For me I’m happy to finish 16th and then go for top half next season but I do think some big changes are needed to get there. 

Yep. I think staying up is the achievement this season, overachieving would be top half.
I'm happy with staying up. It's a shame this season has petered out, but I do expect the next few years to be stabilizing in league one and not really fighting for the playoffs.
The gamble to weaken the squad in January will look like a master stroke if we use that money saved towards a better squad in summer - time will tell.

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

The thing with Wilson is that a lot of his injuries aren’t because he’s been kicked about, his whole career he’s been extremely injury prone. Clearly our best player so I completely understand why fans would want him to stay, I just don’t think for the wage he will be on, we are getting anywhere near enough from him and it’s hurt us this season. Yeah he looked ok, didnt look 100% to me and the issue is by the time he gets fully fit were likely to only get a few games before his injured again. 

Bookies are more than often wrong, always put the team that goes up in play offs to go down. I don’t think we were ever going to go down personally. I thought we would finish just below half way. I just don’t understand this view that we have overachieved. If we have overachieved in 16th with a minus 15 goal difference then what was acceptable, relegation? For me we’ve done well so far this season, been pretty damn shocking since Plymouth, odd half hour aside and find ourselves probably where abouts we should be. 

Id definitely take top half! For me I’m happy to finish 16th and then go for top half next season but I do think some big changes are needed to get there. 

If I take a negative view. We destablised our defence in the transfer window and with all of our attackers out at the same time. So we couldn't defend or attack. 

Based on our previous L2 position, transfer activity, a reasonable starting point, if lots of money is placed, shorten the odds.

4 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Overachieved? Surely 16th isn’t over achieving and is where we should be? We have been poor since beating Plymouth not just the last few games. 

In my head at the start of the season I had 16th down as a target for where we should have aimed for. Anything better would have been a bonus anything worse would have been a concern.

I would say that we overachieved in the first part of the season and have under achieved since Plymouth but overall we are about where I expected us to be.

That is the whole point of a season I suppose that things even out and teams find themselves in a position that reflects their ability. I think what WV is saying is that we have generally overachieved in the games where we have had a full strength squad and that the injuries have caused us to underachieve in the games where we haven't.

1 hour ago, Vale 1971 said:

You cannot just coast through games especially now Stoke are getting it together 

I see no relevance of how Stoke are doing when we are discussing our squad for next season. 13th is hardly "getting it together"...the manager starts 5 Premier League loans each game and has a points per game ratio equal to his predecessor Uncle Michael...

Stone, try settle contract up , if not have to keep as a No.2

Smith New contract offer

Forrester assume still under contract keep

Cass as above with Forrester

Agyakwa release

Jones Release

Benning Release

Robinson Release

Pett New 1 year deal

Ojo assume under contract Keep

Conlon Release

Garrity Offer new deal

Holden Release

Worrall Offer new deal

Massey try to terminate contract mutually, i assume he came for more than 1 year. 

Proctor Release

Wilson Release

Harrison Keep as still under contract

Loanees

Return all to parent club. I did rate Butterworth but the fact he's morphed into Lord Lucan suggests he won't be one we'll be after. 

So under my harsh regime we'd be left with 8 players .

Smith New contract offer
Agyakwa release
Jones Release
Benning Release
Robinson Release
Pett New 1 year deal
Conlon Release
Garrity Offer new deal
Holden Release
Worrall Offer new deal
Massey try to terminate contract mutually, i assume he came for more than 1 year. 
Proctor Release
Wilson Release
Loanees
Return all to parent club. I did rate Butterworth but the fact he's morphed into Lord Lucan suggests he won't be one we'll be after. 

This is the spot on

10 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Smith New contract offer

Agyakwa release

Jones Release

Benning Release

Robinson Release

Pett New 1 year deal

Conlon Release

Garrity Offer new deal

Holden Release

Worrall Offer new deal

Proctor Release

Wilson Release

Loanees

Conlon has another year doesn’t he? If not then release I agree.

2 minutes ago, 1 said:

Conlon has another year doesn’t he? If not then release I agree.

Yes i think you are right , so negotiate a mutual agreement.

I realise i'm very harsh but it's only an opinion . I'm sure at least 4 of my releases will still be here. 

44 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Smith New contract offer

Agyakwa release

Jones Release

Benning Release

Robinson Release

Pett New 1 year deal

Conlon Release

Garrity Offer new deal

Holden Release

Worrall Offer new deal

Proctor Release

Wilson Release

Loanees

I’m pretty sure Clarke/Flickers will do something similar. They are ambitious and know this squad realistically can’t challenge for the playoffs. It’s time to roll the dice and back our recruitment strategy. 

10 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I’m pretty sure Clarke/Flickers will do something similar. They are ambitious and know this squad realistically can’t challenge for the playoffs. It’s time to roll the dice and back our recruitment strategy. 

That assumes we have a big transfer/ signing pot. I don’t think we have.

Archived