onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Squad for next season

Valiiant

1 minute ago, Osh said:

O see where you are coming from, Daz, for me we're not as bad as people make out.  Apart from last weekend, I think we've been getting better despite our injury problems.  I also think it would be a massive gamble to get rid of most of the squad in the hope things get better.

Again, just my humble opinion, others have different views which I respect.  Might not agree with but I do respect.

I don't think wholesale changes will work Osh.

The Potteries is a hard area to attract players to. Hall and Garrity jumped at the chance to have a crack at League footie. I think Cass,Wilson and Jones saw us as a club to establish themselves. All the squad have their own stories.

I still think on our day we are a match. I fancy Ipswich and Sheffield to go up so the division will be a little easier I feel

Advert

2 hours ago, Osh said:

I swore I’d stop getting involved in this and keep my gob shut, but – as a committed Vale fan, I can’t resist replying.

So, here’s my list

Stone – I’d keep but send out on loan; I’d recruit a Championship keeper as a priority and also a young keeper as backup.

Smith - Keep. Yes, he does have some limitations but I think he has improved since the start of the year  He needs to keep improving..

Forrester - Keep. Massive potential.

Cass - Keep. I’d give him another season, at least.  Again has potential but needs to prove a bit more.  If he can’t then I’d let him go the following year.

Agyakwa – I’d need to see more of him.  He looked nervus on his debut but doesn’t everyone.  I’d want to see him through to the end of the season before deciding.

Jones - Keep. For me he’s currently Player of The Season and is the one player who can make an 80 yard pass in to the forwards.

Benning – Has to go, sadly. Think EFL2 is his level.

Robinson - Keep. Huge potential and needs Clarky, et el, to coach him to grow.

Pett - Keep. First name on the team sheet right now; has grown as the season has progressed.

Ojo - Keep. Graer class, good EFL1 player.

Conlon - Keep. He’d get one more season for me, even given the option to move to LB/replace Benning.

Garrity - Keep. Greatly improved.

Holden - Undecided. I’d give him until the end of the season; he’s ripping up trees in training but not getting much game time.

Worrall - Keep. I’d tie him up for 2 years and then get him into the coaching staff.

Massey - Get rid. I just don’t see the player that others see.  And that’s being kind.  Think he’d do OK at EFL2 level, though.

Proctor - Keep. I’d hate – utterly hate to play against him.  Natural striker and must be hated by the opposition defence.

Harrison - Keep. Done enough to earn another year but I don’t think he’s as fantastic as everyone makes out.  Needs to do a LOT more for me..

Wilson - Keep. By a country mile Vale’s best player and such talent.  There’s a reason why he’s been injured so much as other teams kick him up in the air every week.  He’s Vales No9!!

Loanees

Stevens - Not good enough.

Donnelly – If we can keep him I would, again so much potential.

Politic – I’d give him one more year to prove himself.  He’s out of contract so shouldn’t cost us a fee.

Butterworth – I’d keep him another year, think he’d work very well in the hole behind Taylor.

Taylor – Flattered in front of gal so far but his movement is sublime.  Sign him for 2 years and lets see the goals go in. 

Some are saying that not one in the team has developed at all this; I find that astonishing.  Garrety has made great strides, as has Smudger and Jones, Willo is easily comfortable at this level, as is Pett and Forrester.

For me we need a keeper and three or four outfield players, they need to bed in quickly and mesh as a team.  More importantly we then need to play with confidence as you can see, since the back end of last year – when we had zero strike force, we’ve struggled to do that.  Look at the compliments we’ve been paid by Ipswich, Barnsley, Derby, Plymouth, Bolt etc, we’re not far off having a very good team.

So, (baring a major disaster in the next 8 weeks) we’ve stayed up this season.  Job done; mission for this season accomplished.  Next season we need to aim to finish in the top ten and then following season develop further and getting in the play-offs.  If we can build on and off the field as a club and be in the Championship in 3 years’ time we stand less chance of dropping straight back down.  EFL2 steady before Championship Ready.

Just my 2’ worth.

UTV and KTF!

I agree with most of this - Harrison, for me, has had to do an extra shift than most, as he's been  mostly without a recognised striker alongside him...so his focus hasn't always been on getting goals. He's hit double figures in  his first season with us, which is good, especially as he's also had time out injured. 

I've a lot of sympathy with you, on this - It's difficult not to reply when you see the usual  suspects telling us we have a low, or even minus, budget, and also know what other team's budgets have been? Also, questioning Carol's investment into our club - £1.2 million spent on the ground doesn't suggest we're sinking? But - hey ho - it is what it is!!

53 minutes ago, DazFred said:

You mean you wouldn't get rid of all of the squad Osh? Those who have been absolute tripe,yet got us close to the playoffs?

On our day we're as good as anyone. Trouble is we've not been pretty on the eye at home and lost too many points especially from leading positions.

Are you having a midweek little tipple @DazFred?

Close to the play offs? What are you talking about?

Everyone in our league is as good as anyone on there day

12 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

I've a lot of sympathy with you, on this - It's difficult not to reply when you see the usual  suspects telling us we have a low, or even minus, budget, and also know what other team's budgets have been? Also, questioning Carol's investment into our club - £1.2 million spent on the ground doesn't suggest we're sinking? But - hey ho - it is what it is!!

I'm 62 this year and have run my own business (nowhere near as big as the Shannahan's) for over 30 years and I'd never, ever let anyone know what my budget was on anything. So how people know what our budget is is beyond me.

I dont know Carol, I do know Kevin - he was a customer of mine many years ago, and they're no mugs.  There's no way that let anyone know how much they have to spend.  Its just not good business sense.

Again, just my point of view.

11 minutes ago, Vale 1971 said:

Conlon Smith and Worrall struggled in league 2 many a game.
Did they not fella

Worrall has played in the Championship and has always been one of our most consistent performers.

Conlon was Player of the Season and had double figures for goals and assists.

I wouldn't say Smith struggled either.

1 hour ago, WV said:

Or one that has actually overachieved and has just been a bit poor in a few games recently when we have been missing strikers or defenders ? 

How very dare you!

Totally agree m8

6 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Worrall has played in the Championship and has always been one of our most consistent performers.

Conlon was Player of the Season and had double figures for goals and assists.

I wouldn't say Smith struggled either.

Totally agree

Stone – Get rid

Smith - Keep - Starter

Forrester - Keep - Starter

Cass - Keep - Squad

Agyakwa – Get rid 

Jones - Keep - Squad 

Benning – Get rid

Robinson - Keep - Squad

Pett - Keep - Squad 

Ojo - Keep - Starter 

Conlon - Get rid

Garrity - Keep - Squad

Holden - Get rid

Worrall - Keep - Squad

Massey - Get rid

Proctor - Get rid

Harrison - Keep - Starter

Wilson - Get rid (Would Keep but injuries are ridiculous)

Loanees

Stevens - Get rid

Donnelly – Get rid

Politic – Get rid

Butterworth – Keep - Squad

Taylor – Keep - Squad

Starters are potentially very good League 1 players and the new signings need to be at or have the potential to be that level. The squad players are more than good enough for League 1 and provide good back up. My team would be something like this to start the season. All this hangs on the fact that we have the funds to continue improving and are not going to just try and tread water again....

New Keeper

Forrester    Smith      New LCB

New  RWB                                           New LWB

New DCM     Ojo

New ACM

Harrison  New ST

Maybe too ambitious and leaves us with a massive job, where Flickers and the recruitment team would need to earn their money like they did in summer 2021 and not the last two windows

49 minutes ago, Vale 1971 said:

Conlon Smith and Worrall struggled in league 2 many a game.
Did they not fella

There were big rumours of Conlon leaving us to a League 1 side...until he got an injury, i think? Wozza was in the top few in the League for assists - he only "struggled" to get goals for himself. Smudge was still fairly young when he went on loan - he came back a much improved player...so much so DC called him "his warrior" (or that may have been Tom Conlon? - but, either way, NS is much admired by DC)...so - probably not...fella!

1 hour ago, Vale 1971 said:

Well ive seen with me own eyes they have struggled .
Worrall plays well one in 4 games.
Conlon for the love of football and Vale is not up to the job if he was people be purring about him .
Smith his admired by lots but I see a cumbersome slow player who does not do anything quickly
Yeah he as improved fair play to him for that but for me I wouldn't be bothered if he leaves .
UTV

I'm hoping he stays and gets up to 700-800 games. He works hard to improve and can be a top level defender at L1 level. He is addressing his weaknesses and plays most games. My bone of contention with him has been on the ball, but he's definitely working on that one. 

3 hours ago, Vale 1971 said:

And that's your right you want keep him and he stays great for you.
No problem with people liking players or not liking them you could go through the squad and every single supporter /follower on here will have a different view.
People might like the goalies I think they both are potentially good but then they will let in a 25 yard shot and I'll think what if Vale had that shot at the other end the opposition goalie would probably save it however with lot of our goals conceded this season who's trying block the shots so they don't even get through to the goalie ,or should I put it another way who should be blocking them ?.
UTV

I'm with you on the blocking issue. I think we should be better at that. I'm not sure who should be out there when the ball rolls out to 25 yards but I'm thinking the defensive midfield doesn't react. However, we are playing three centre backs and that may shift the emphasis towards them more than if there is two. 

Another philosophy here is to be solid in the box and if they shoot from 25 yards so be it. If we had a top keeper like Allisson, the chances of scoring are then pretty low (his team's problems lie elsewhere!) from outside the box. But both our keepers have been letting too many direct shots in and not holding / clearing so that rebound opportunities are given as well. I thought this is what Stevens had been brought in to fix - but he hasn't. So he's not the solution. 

A bit like Smith, I think Stone can be coached and improved. He's got the remainder of the season to prove himself. 

12 hours ago, WV said:

Or one that has actually overachieved and has just been a bit poor in a few games recently when we have been missing strikers or defenders ? 

Overachieved? Surely 16th isn’t over achieving and is where we should be? We have been poor since beating Plymouth not just the last few games. 

Archived