onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Squad for next season

Valiiant

I know there's still a bunch of games left but I believe we've seen enough of the players to know which ones we would like to keep, sell/release and kick up the arse. If we stay up this season we would have made our objective. But form and performances in the second half of the season so far have been a big worry.

Stone - Get rid. Not sure he's League One level even as a number two.

Smith - Keep. Clearly has his limitations but is one of the few that rarely lets us down.

Forrester - Keep. Probably the one player we have that has the most potential. Needs to keep improving.

Cass - Keep. Hasn't convinced but is still young and his versatility is a plus.

Agyakwa - Get rid.

Jones - Keep. Not great at actually defending but is the one defender we have that can actually pass the ball more than 5 yards.

Benning - Get rid. Not League One level, simple as that.

Robinson - Keep. Needs to work on areas of his game clearly but the potential is there.

Pett - Keep. You know what you always get from him and always does a job.

Ojo - Keep. Done well in general and is one of the few players we have that is genuinely League One standard.

Conlon - Get rid. Just doesn't cut it at this level. Far too slow and cumbersome. Great lad though.

Garrity - Keep. Took a while to warm to League One but is improving all the time. Should be played further forward though.

Holden - Get rid. He's been awful and the gamle by Clarke clearly hasn't worked.

Worrall - Keep. One of our most consistent and reliable players.

Massey - Get rid. I think he's been awful more often than not, though certainly not helped by Clarke at times.

Proctor - Keep. If he can keep himself fit he's a decent squad option.

Harrison - Keep. Done pretty well overall.

Wilson - Get rid. Just can't rely on him and is no doubt on a big wage by our standards.

Loanees

Stevens - Not really convinced during his time here.

Donnelly - Has done okay but only that.

Politic - Has ability but doesn't show it anything like often enough.

Butterworth - Plenty of effort and endevour but little quality or end product.

Taylor - You can see why Oxford were happy to let him go. 

May have missed one or two out. Some massive changes clearly needed on the pitch this summer.

Advert

I’d keep every player we have now, sign them up on long term contracts because I have no faith at all that our recruitment team will bring in better than we have. The last 2 transfer windows our squad has got weaker and weaker so let’s just work with what we’ve got now, try and stay up.

It’s a tricky one. To be honest as each week passes by my finger points less at the players and more at management. Which player, any player has improved over the season? I can’t think of one and frankly if our coaching staff were any good you’d see something. 

That retained list above is reasonable but I don’t get the idea of keeping Proctor and getting rid of Wilson. Proctor is just as big a crock as Wilson has been. In fact you could call them the “sick note bros”. 

Dunno what money Wilson is on but as a standard of player he is worth 6-8k per week based on ability and I doubt we are paying out that. 

We need investment, the glimmer of hope I have is that a well run club will have a greater appeal to those investors than one run by drunken sailor Smurfwaite. I don’t think Carol has the funds to pump more money in because I’m sure if she could, she would. She wouldn’t want to see us struggling and I’m sure she’d remortgage her house to help this club. 

On 19/03/2023 at 13:25, philpvfc said:

I’d keep every player we have now, sign them up on long term contracts because I have no faith at all that our recruitment team will bring in better than we have. The last 2 transfer windows our squad has got weaker and weaker so let’s just work with what we’ve got now, try and stay up.

Not the recruitment teams fault if the budget is £0. When will people realize that nice as Carol is, good intentions are not going to sustain success. Not that I’m advocating her to go, as the club is well run, but we need it to be well funded and any means of investment need to be explored. 

Any American turf companies out there guys? 

37 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Not the recruitment teams fault if the budget is £0. When will people realize that nice as Carol is, good intentions are not going to sustain success. Not that I’m advocating her to go, as the club is well run, but we need it to be well funded and any means of investment need to be explored. 

Any American turf companies out there guys? 

As mentioned before, our budget has not been zero in the last 2 transfer windows and what has our recruitment team done to improve a promoted squad? Brought in loan players that not one has been good enough, brought in another center midfielder (Holden) when we already had plenty, especially with bringing in OJo, yet we are left short at LWB, Center Forward, Center back and left back. On both occasions everything was left to the last minute and we let better players leave the club than we brought in. 
Budget might be tight, but they were allowed to bring players in and they have failed miserably.

18 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Budget is a factor but not the only factor. Luton are 4th in the Championship. You've got to be clever, and I'm not sure our recruitment department has been for nearly 2 years now.

Well it has never really been that great because go back a few years before that and you have us relying on Smurfwaite and his magic agents catalogue or whichever rubbish player Phil Sproson wanted to fob us off with for a few quid. 

14 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

Budget is a factor but not the only factor. Luton are 4th in the Championship. You've got to be clever, and I'm not sure our recruitment department has been for nearly 2 years now.

You may be right but you also need a bit of luck with any signing, even more so with young players.

Overall last season we signed some good players at that level.  Even in that January window Hall and Charsley had an impact when they came in.  This season we’ve struggled to do the same.

I don’t think it’s unfair to say we’ve also been pretty poor in the loan market, although Taylor could yet come good.

Luton in league two had a bigger budget than we have now and we have one promotion in those two years which isn't bad going. Flickers talks corporate sh*te a lot of the time but you can't say he's had a bad January when technicaly his budget was a minus in January. You tell me who out there can improve a team and cut the wge bill buy about ten ģrand a week.

None of the current squad are top six league one players maybe five or six could stay and help us get top ten. We need at least ten league one quality players in the summer but that will cost money that I don't think we have. Buy your season tickets folks spend what you can at the club shop it all goes towards the budget it's no good saying we're crap so I'm not buying a ticket because guess what that makes us more crap. This lady is pumping millions into our club let's help her out if you can.

10 hours ago, dishydave said:

None of the current squad are top six league one players maybe five or six could stay and help us get top ten. We need at least ten league one quality players in the summer but that will cost money that I don't think we have. Buy your season tickets folks spend what you can at the club shop it all goes towards the budget it's no good saying we're crap so I'm not buying a ticket because guess what that makes us more crap. This lady is pumping millions into our club let's help her out if you can.

IMHO, Dave Worrall, Wilson when he's match fit and next year possible Forrester are top 6 Lge i players, the rest is on point.

There’s not one player in the squad that I would be really worried about losing. We don’t have that nucleus of talented players that teams are going to be sniffing around, at this level anyway. Half a dozen teams would go all out for Garrity, but none in L1 I wouldn’t have thought. Smith would be a loss, but how much really with all summer to regroup.

Archived