onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Burton Albion v Port Vale

Fosse69

I would start Benning and Massey and be positive from the off down the flanks.

As much as I like Hall,defensively he has been poor...defo at fault for the last goal at Exeter,poor control gave the ball away v MK for the first goal. However I prefer him to Jones and he's good going forward.

I'd be tempted to play Walker alongside Conlon due to a longer passing range to get Harrison in behind or up to Garrity to battle for. I wouldn't start Proctor...he simply isn't fit. I think a deeper lying Walker frees up Conlon.

That said I think Cass looks lost at RWB as does Forrester. They are defenders first and foremost. We have options of Charsley and Holden to change the front 2 even though they are a bit lightweight. Burton conceded 4 against Bristol and Accie so we need to be positive.

Here's hoping the 1800 are given a performance to get behind.

Stevens,Cass,Smith,Hall, Massey,Walker, Conlon,Ojo,Benning Garrity,Harrison

Advert

22 minutes ago, DazFred said:

I would start Benning and Massey and be positive from the off down the flanks.

As much as I like Hall,defensively he has been poor...defo at fault for the last goal at Exeter,poor control gave the ball away v MK for the first goal. However I prefer him to Jones and he's good going forward.

I'd be tempted to play Walker alongside Conlon due to a longer passing range to get Harrison in behind or up to Garrity to battle for. I wouldn't start Proctor...he simply isn't fit. I think a deeper lying Walker frees up Conlon.

That said I think Cass looks lost at RWB as does Forrester. They are defenders first and foremost. We have options of Charsley and Holden to change the front 2 even though they are a bit lightweight. Burton conceded 4 against Bristol and Accie so we need to be positive.

Here's hoping the 1800 are given a performance to get behind.

Stevens,Cass,Smith,Hall, Massey,Walker, Conlon,Ojo,Benning Garrity,Harrison

I nearly like this. But worry we will be in lots of situations where crosses are possible with only 2 players in the box. That said when Massey gets to the edge of the box, and to some extent Benning, their dribbling threat allows the midfield to catch up and both think about what they are trying to do. The RCH and LCH become important in the build up so they can play with the wing backs and the midfield can concentrate more on posing a threat on the edge of the box and in the box. Does that cement places for Hall and Forrester? Are they the best in forward positions?

3 minutes ago, Warren said:

I nearly like this. But worry we will be in lots of situations where crosses are possible with only 2 players in the box. That said when Massey gets to the edge of the box, and to some extent Benning, their dribbling threat allows the midfield to catch up and both think about what they are trying to do. The RCH and LCH become important in the build up so they can play with the wing backs and the midfield can concentrate more on posing a threat on the edge of the box and in the box. Does that cement places for Hall and Forrester? Are they the best in forward positions?

Agree. The quality into the box hasn't been good enough. We desperately miss Wilson's ability to drop deep and run at the defence or pull the defenders out leaving space for Proctor and Garrity to attack.

L1 is much tougher than L2

With only having 1 striker, do we have to go 352?

What about 433 (attacking) 451 (defending)? Especially away from home.

Stevens

Robinson        Smith         Hall          Benning

Ojo/Walker         Conlon

Garrity

Massey                       Harrison                  Holden

Just a thought????

13 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

With only having 1 striker, do we have to go 352?

What about 433 (attacking) 451 (defending)? Especially away from home.

Stevens

Robinson        Smith         Hall          Benning

Ojo/Walker         Conlon

Garrity

Massey                       Harrison                  Holden

Just a thought????

I think Clarke is committed to variations of the 3/5 at the back. The success of the above depends on being good at ball retention because the opposition will attack the back four if not. In particular Robinson is good on the ball and not so good off it. In this formation Benning will find it harder to get forward and then a case comes for taking him out for Hussey because Hussey is bigger and defensive. You hope Holden is doing the Benning job at LWB. 

Overall I think we should stick with the processes system (I say with a smile) because we just need a result before we start finding ourselves in a hole. 

The pitch size is 110 by 72. That is medium sized. Don't think it matters much. 

14 minutes ago, Warren said:

I think Clarke is committed to variations of the 3/5 at the back. The success of the above depends on being good at ball retention because the opposition will attack the back four if not. In particular Robinson is good on the ball and not so good off it. In this formation Benning will find it harder to get forward and then a case comes for taking him out for Hussey because Hussey is bigger and defensive. You hope Holden is doing the Benning job at LWB. 

Overall I think we should stick with the processes system (I say with a smile) because we just need a result before we start finding ourselves in a hole. 

The pitch size is 110 by 72. That is medium sized. Don't think it matters much. 

I agree Clarke likes 352. And that's the formation we'll play.
It was the formation change that was my main point. Not too fussed about personnel. Just exploring other formation possibilities that can work with just one striker. 

Playing 433 may allow the 'wingers' in Holden and Massey to get forward without having to worry too much about their defensive duties as we have 4 at the back. I suppose a bit like we played under Askey with Amoo, Pope, Worrall up top.

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

Walker has to start. Although I thought both wing backs did well Tuesday I would play Benning and Massey. This is a big game and we need something from it. Proctor has been poor so far but I still think we need to play him until we sign more forwards. Holden out for Prcotor 

Don't think it's any secret that me and you have been banging the Walker drum since he signed.

He's quality. Lacks pace and gets caught out in the central areas hence ridiculous amount of yellows. 

But for me a fit Walker is in our starting X1 whether we have Ojo and Conlon available or not. 

Pings the ball around for fun and not speculative passes or Hollywood balls, actually balls on the money.

I could put the case that had he not got injured at Hartlepool we wouldn't of had those wonderful days v Swindon and Mansfield because we'd of gone up automatically. 

Local Derby. Sold out away following and a perfect time to make a mark on League One. Minimum of a draw possibly 1-1, or Vale win either 1-0 or 2-1. So far Burton have lost 3-0 away to Wycombe, 0-4 at home to Bristol Rovers & having a player sent off after 89 seconds amazing, followed by a 4-4 draw at Accrington after leading 3-1 & went into added time 4-2 ahead. Finally put up a decent effort at home to table toppers Ipswich on Tuesday night losing only 1-0 who were roared on by 1,500 amazing following from Suffolk.

Burton are vulnerable so Vale need to put the pressure on them and get all three points if at all possible.

Also a Vale fan asked where is Rekeil Pyke playing Shrewsbury Town is your answer as I watched him play on Tuesday v Derby County.

UTV

I’d love to see us go for it and smash em tomorrow but it’s a problem when you don’t have fit strikers!!

Instead I’m hoping to avoid defeat but with a bit more quicker attacking fluidity than Tuesday. 

I would start 343 tomorrow. It’s not a pitch were we will get outnumbered in the middle so don’t need 3. 

Stephens

Forrester Smith Hall

Robinson Ojo Conlon Benning

Massey Harrison Holden

Don't think it's any secret that me and you have been banging the Walker drum since he signed.
He's quality. Lacks pace and gets caught out in the central areas hence ridiculous amount of yellows. 
But for me a fit Walker is in our starting X1 whether we have Ojo and Conlon available or not. 
Pings the ball around for fun and not speculative passes or Hollywood balls, actually balls on the money.
I could put the case that had he not got injured at Hartlepool we wouldn't of had those wonderful days v Swindon and Mansfield because we'd of gone up automatically. 
You are spot on sir.

Walker gets us passing with purpose folk going on about him not being quick enough well he is quick with his variety of passing passing that stretches the opposition out .
What I have noticed when he joins the action we seem to be more positive by the time Smith passes it for example all the opposition back in there defensive shape so it breaks down quickly .
As I keep going on about the initial pass is the most important .
Get that right more goal scoring opportunities will be the outcome meaning a higher percentage of winning games .

13 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Walker gets us passing with purpose folk going on about him not being quick enough well he is quick with his variety of passing passing that stretches the opposition out .
What I have noticed when he joins the action we seem to be more positive by the time Smith passes it for example all the opposition back in there defensive shape so it breaks down quickly .
As I keep going on about the initial pass is the most important .
Get that right more goal scoring opportunities will be the outcome meaning a higher percentage of winning games .

If Conlon is in the team he can come and take it off Smith. But we want him when playing much higher up the pitch. If we have effective attacking WBs and a good passing defensive midfield player then build up play can take any route. At MK Dons we were not effective in the middle / left first half. Got better after the break for a while. But not a sustained and coordinated team effort. 

Archived