onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

10 hours ago, eh up nah said:

Yes, fair point mate,  he posted a couple of good returns.

I was always surprised Hanson didn't do more after he left Bradford(maybe injuries I don't know?) Wells and him were a good partnership the year they went up with us and had the run to the League cup final.  Having just googled him apart from 1 half decent season at Grimsby his career fell off a cliff after 2017 and would only have been 29 then(34 now).

Advert

The panic and impatience emanating from some posts on here is nothing short of hilarious. In Clarke and Flitcroft we have the most efficient and shrewd people we could ever hoped to have at the helm. In their first season they kept us in the football league and in their second season they got us promotion with an unforgettable trip to Wembley. Please forgive me for having faith and belief that they will pull the strings, push the buttons and wave the wonga to get the right people in. I see no reason why the players who will come in, will in the main, be better than the players who have gone out. I really do believe this. There’s loads of good players out there.

I'm on that page to Playa, two of our most talented players gone to rivals.
The Jake Taylor transfer makes no sense from a Port Vale FC perspective unless it's injury related. A talented player, we've paid him whilst he recovered from injury, he comes back, shows what he's capable of and he leaves on the basis that we cannot guarantee him game time with a cover that PVFC are protected. 
How come managers are not inquiring about and willing to pay money for the likes of Garrity, Pett, Walker and Charsley, players that DF/DC and some fans consider are ahead of Taylor in the midfield pecking order. Info would likely have got out if other managers had inquired.
Having watched every Vale game last season, Garrity had 12 Lge goals but only 1 assist from 43 Lge starts, what happens if his goals dry up as his all round game looked wanting at Lge 2 level.  Pett has limited passing range and hardly has a physical presence, sadly Walker looks like an injury waiting to happen, Charsley appears a solid Lge 2 player to me.
With Vale moving up a Lge I would have thought the management team would have kept an open mind on who starts/game time but I guess Jake Taylor just isn't a DC type player. 
I am not criticizing Garrity, Pett, Walker or Charsley as they all played their part  last season and appear solid guys from their interviews etc.

All the guys did well for Vale 

How do you know if other clubs aren't making enquiries about our players, nobody really knows what's going on behind the scenes

16 minutes ago, Dr Delgado said:

The panic and impatience emanating from some posts on here is nothing short of hilarious. In Clarke and Flitcroft we have the most efficient and shrewd people we could ever hoped to have at the helm. In their first season they kept us in the football league and in their second season they got us promotion with an unforgettable trip to Wembley. Please forgive me for having faith and belief that they will pull the strings, push the buttons and wave the wonga to get the right people in. I see no reason why the players who will come in, will in the main, be better than the players who have gone out. I really do believe this. There’s loads of good players out there.

I think with the season just 3 weeks away we 'may' have missed out on a few of our top priorities, however, better players and their representatives will 'shop around'. DF & DC will have had a list of priorities prepared months ago. It is a matter of bringing it to fruition.

8 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

The Jake Taylor transfer makes no sense from a Port Vale FC perspective unless it's injury related. A talented player, we've paid him whilst he recovered from injury, he comes back, shows what he's capable of and he leaves on the basis that we cannot guarantee him game time with a cover that PVFC are protected. 

How come managers are not inquiring about and willing to pay money for the likes of Garrity, Pett, Walker and Charsley, players that DF/DC and some fans consider are ahead of Taylor in the midfield pecking order. Info would likely have got out if other managers had inquired.

Having watched every Vale game last season, Garrity had 12 Lge goals but only 1 assist from 43 Lge starts, what happens if his goals dry up as his all round game looked wanting at Lge 2 level.  Pett has limited passing range and hardly has a physical presence, sadly Walker looks like an injury waiting to happen, Charsley appears a solid Lge 2 player to me.

With Vale moving up a Lge I would have thought the management team would have kept an open mind on who starts/game time but I guess Jake Taylor just isn't a DC type player. 

I am not criticizing Garrity, Pett, Walker or Charsley as they all played their part  last season and appear solid guys from their interviews etc.

Some fair points made.

My gut feeling was that Taylor would move on sooner rather than later, not to Morecambe if I’m honest but probably to a higher end Lg2 club.  As you say, was down the pecking order for whatever reason, fitness mostly, and obviously would want more games than he’d possibly get here.

With regards to the other players, when a team gets promotion and has a bit of success on the pitch I’d expect managers of other teams to be looking at those players.  Fans never get to hear a fraction of what goes on so chances are we’ve batted away enquiries for many of our players.  In the case of Garrity, no way a guy scoring 12 from midfield is not going to attract some interest.

Common sense would say Taylor and Gibbo will do well at their new clubs, but it could easily go pear shaped.  The main thing is that we recruit better replacements and have a bit of luck with their fitness and performance levels.

21 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Some fair points made.

My gut feeling was that Taylor would move on sooner rather than later, not to Morecambe if I’m honest but probably to a higher end Lg2 club.  As you say, was down the pecking order for whatever reason, fitness mostly, and obviously would want more games than he’d possibly get here.

With regards to the other players, when a team gets promotion and has a bit of success on the pitch I’d expect managers of other teams to be looking at those players.  Fans never get to hear a fraction of what goes on so chances are we’ve batted away enquiries for many of our players.  In the case of Garrity, no way a guy scoring 12 from midfield is not going to attract some interest.

Common sense would say Taylor and Gibbo will do well at their new clubs, but it could easily go pear shaped.  The main thing is that we recruit better replacements and have a bit of luck with their fitness and performance levels.

I don't wish either any ill. Hope both do well,  not at our expense obviously.

But look at how it's gone for Manny at Chesterfield, another quality player always in the physio room.

I think eventually despite my disappointments both going will be seen to be the right decision long term.

1 hour ago, Dr Delgado said:

Do you mean that the players that come in will be better than the ones who have gone out? It doesn't quite read like that. 

4 minutes ago, Lifelongvalefan said:

Who is he ?

7CA7006D-07A3-4410-80A1-0C9AD3FCDF79.png

Going on boots alone it looks like the trialist from the Kidsgrove game (named by some as Derek Agyakwa).

This is our photo from our gallery of the Kidsgrove game (same boots). 

IMG_7729-725x719.jpg.55fc80e40060a6eeb7e7c586c2598692.jpg

Do we have a recall clause for Covalan? I can't understand why we would allow him t leave without having a replacement signed. It seems that a keeper has been targeted but is some way off actually signing. If as seems likely it could depend on his current club getting a replacement, much can go wrong. We could start the season with Carlo Nash on the bench at this rate! We are desperate for two decent striker's at the moment. I hope we don't we don't kick off with just Wilson and Proctor as the only striker's, and Garrity as emergency back up. I see that Ryan Edmondson scored onother two goals for Carlisle at the weekend. Surely he would have been worth a punt as a backup.

9 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Yeah these are good points well made, Paul. I think the reason it's difficult to understand is because none of us are privy to what happens behind the scenes, we're not involved in negotiations and there could be many varying factors as to why the decision was made to let him go. His attitude, work-rate in training), he had 2 years left on his contract so Taylor might have been looking at more pay elsewhere (I'm sure Sproson saw an opportunity to make a few quid too). There's no doubt discussions would have been had with the physio team about the likelihood he will suffer another injury. And if Taylor is as rumoured to be demanding more game time then Clarke will look at how many games he has played, and what he has done since he has come back from injury. An assist against Hartlepool and a solid performance against a poor Mansfield side. 

Gibbo is a different situation. Again, it's rumour but it looked like he was set to go in January if it wasn't for the injury and I think Vale would have done everything they could to keep him but couldn't break the wage structure and understandably so. Also sometimes players just want to leave and there's nothing you can do.

I've said many times before but Clarke and the backroom team have delivered us a promotion in their first full season, an incredible, against the odds feat considering the circumstances and how challenging it is to get out of League 2 these days. I'm a believer of they know best until things go very wrong, they have earned the trust of the supporters and I'm sure there will be some stumbles along the way, their decisions overall will continue to strengthen our position in the EFL season on season. Time will tell regarding Taylor and Gibbo, the latter being more likely to have a very strong season if he can avoid injury.

Regarding why there is no talk of any clubs approaching our players, again, could be a number of reasons. It's common knowledge that agents will get their clients name thrown around as gossip to generate interest, I assume none of our players want to leave at the moment. There might have been an initial enquiry and they have been shut down immediately. I'd be very surprised if not one club reached out and asked about Garrity considering the season he's just had.

You are missing Conlon in that list of players and I do think that Taylor leaving is an indicator that Conlon is returning sooner than expected.

A big week for the club. We have one of our two first-team friendlies and really need to start adding to our 17 professionals (+ 1 scholar) to ensure the new signings gain fitness and tactical familiarity before Fleetwood. 

I imagine Holden will be offered a 6 month deal - understandable if it is low-cost but doesn't seem to fit into the strategy of offloading physically fragile players. Flitcroft talked about having some young lads brought in to 'support' the first-team and I imagine Agyakwa will be part of that, if signed.

We've been told to wait and I hope this is the week in which movement begins to happen. With the paucity of first-team friendlies and the admittance that we are still 6-7 players short under 3 weeks to go, it should be a very fast-paced fortnight. I did think we'd have a GK lined up with Covalan's departure, but Zooming players from the training camp suggests not.

Archived