onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Do we have a recall clause for Covalan? I can't understand why we would allow him t leave without having a replacement signed. It seems that a keeper has been targeted but is some way off actually signing. If as seems likely it could depend on his current club getting a replacement, much can go wrong. We could start the season with Carlo Nash on the bench at this rate! We are desperate for two decent striker's at the moment. I hope we don't we don't kick off with just Wilson and Proctor as the only striker's, and Garrity as emergency back up. I see that Ryan Edmondson scored onother two goals for Carlisle at the weekend. Surely he would have been worth a punt as a backup.

How do you know we are sone way off signing a keeper ???

He could be signing today

The fact is we don’t know anything so lots of people are presuming the worst

It’s got to be a vale fan condition that makes your cup half empty all the time

Fully understandable because of all the years of crap we have had to endure lol

Advert

Two genuine questions:

1. What does the training camp in Spain offer over a training camp in the UK? There are other facilities of similar quality in this country and the lads could still be taken on a 'residential'. They've all just been on holiday.

2. Why are the club secretary and the director of football there? 

I do find it a bit odd we're having to video call potentially vital signings as opposed to having club representatives meet them in person. Call me old-fashioned but if I was making a career move as important as switching company and maybe moving across country, I'd want to meet people in person first!

4 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Yeah these are good points well made, Paul. I think the reason it's difficult to understand is because none of us are privy to what happens behind the scenes, we're not involved in negotiations and there could be many varying factors as to why the decision was made to let him go. His attitude, work-rate in training), he had 2 years left on his contract so Taylor might have been looking at more pay elsewhere (I'm sure Sproson saw an opportunity to make a few quid too). There's no doubt discussions would have been had with the physio team about the likelihood he will suffer another injury. And if Taylor is as rumoured to be demanding more game time then Clarke will look at how many games he has played, and what he has done since he has come back from injury. An assist against Hartlepool and a solid performance against a poor Mansfield side. 

Gibbo is a different situation. Again, it's rumour but it looked like he was set to go in January if it wasn't for the injury and I think Vale would have done everything they could to keep him but couldn't break the wage structure and understandably so. Also sometimes players just want to leave and there's nothing you can do.

I've said many times before but Clarke and the backroom team have delivered us a promotion in their first full season, an incredible, against the odds feat considering the circumstances and how challenging it is to get out of League 2 these days. I'm a believer of they know best until things go very wrong, they have earned the trust of the supporters and I'm sure there will be some stumbles along the way, their decisions overall will continue to strengthen our position in the EFL season on season. Time will tell regarding Taylor and Gibbo, the latter being more likely to have a very strong season if he can avoid injury.

Regarding why there is no talk of any clubs approaching our players, again, could be a number of reasons. It's common knowledge that agents will get their clients name thrown around as gossip to generate interest, I assume none of our players want to leave at the moment. There might have been an initial enquiry and they have been shut down immediately. I'd be very surprised if not one club reached out and asked about Garrity considering the season he's just had.

You are missing Conlon in that list of players and I do think that Taylor leaving is an indicator that Conlon is returning sooner than expected.

Good post although I do disagree with a few points, I think it’s harsh to say alls Taylor did was get just an assist and then a solid performance at Wembley. He was outstanding at Wembley and won us the game against Hartlepool where we created nothing until he came on. Mansfield weren’t a poor side, they set up wrong and we were fantastic but they aren’t a poor side. Taylor played excellent as did the other 10 against a strong side. 

RE Gibbons, I don’t think we needed to break our wage structure, from what I’ve heard / read he was on quite a bit less than some of the new arrivals and our offer at the end of the season wasn’t what he was after. I don’t think he wanted to leave. (Our wage offer understandable to some extend given his injuries) 

For me we 100% need another creative CM to replace Taylor, I know DF said they had enough midfielders but with Conlon not being fit, even if he comes back early it will take time to be back to 100% I think we need someone there. 

2 minutes ago, vale victory said:

How do you know we are sone way off signing a keeper ???

He could be signing today

The fact is we don’t know anything so lots of people are presuming the worst

It’s got to be a vale fan condition that makes your cup half empty all the time

Fully understandable because of all the years of crap we have had to endure lol

Apparently the keeper we want is under contract at a club who will only let him go if / when they get a replacement. So we will have to wait for the keeper I think 

15 minutes ago, Alsager Whites said:

Two genuine questions:

1. What does the training camp in Spain offer over a training camp in the UK? There are other facilities of similar quality in this country and the lads could still be taken on a 'residential'. They've all just been on holiday.

I do find it a bit odd we're having to video call potentially vital signings as opposed to having club representatives meet them in person. Call me old-fashioned but if I was making a career move as important as switching company and maybe moving across country, I'd want to meet people in person first!

They’ll have arranged this as will no doubt have wanted somewhere to put in some guaranteed warm weather training which although there’s a heatwave now you can’t ever guarantee in this country. Also the added benefit of working on stuff away from prying eyes. Loads of other clubs have done the same, Bristol Rovers have just been over in Portugal.

As for the other one they’ll be over there to work as well. When having discussions with players am certain we still do zoom calls now save them having to travel up to the club. Plenty of other companies still do zoom calls for interviews. The only thing they really need to do in person is the medical.

28 minutes ago, capirex said:

Do we have a recall clause for Covalan? I can't understand why we would allow him t leave without having a replacement signed. It seems that a keeper has been targeted but is some way off actually signing. If as seems likely it could depend on his current club getting a replacement, much can go wrong. We could start the season with Carlo Nash on the bench at this rate! We are desperate for two decent striker's at the moment. I hope we don't we don't kick off with just Wilson and Proctor as the only striker's, and Garrity as emergency back up. I see that Ryan Edmondson scored onother two goals for Carlisle at the weekend. Surely he would have been worth a punt as a backup.

But he's prepared to wait until after the start of the season on July 30 for some targets rather than sign inferior players for the sake of getting them early.

19 minutes ago, Alsager Whites said:

Two genuine questions:

In addition to team bonding and training, I think it's also perhaps just genuinely to have a nice time as a squad. The club have put an emphasis on looking after players and staff and a trip to Spain may just be seen as one of those things that shows potential recruits that the club is seen as a good place to join to as it looks after you and treats you well. I know they also invite all the players' families into the directors suite, which again the club don't have to do, but they do to show how they value their staff.

In that light, I can see why other staff are going too. 

I do agree with the Zoom call point. 

30 minutes ago, Alsager Whites said:

Two genuine questions:

Professional football club goes on professional preseason tour at spa hotel with physiotherapy facilities instead of running up hills in Hanley Forest Park like under previous owners. I know what you're saying but it's not really our concern is it? It may even be cheaper than equivalent facilities in the UK.

With the moving companies thing, football is it's own weird little bubble and I'm not sure you can really compare them. We're Hussey's 10th club and Proctor's 15th. Players get blindsided with 23:30 transfer deadline day moves all the time. I'm not sure it's as big a deal to footballers who are used to that transient lifestyle as it is to people in other sectors who have permanent, open ended contracts, buy houses and put down roots.

Strong hint in Darrell Clarke's latest comments that more patience may be required...

“But what I will say is I would rather have a good player for 44 or 45 weeks of the year than an average player for 52 weeks of the year. So, we are working hard to make sure we get the right personnel into the club."

36 minutes ago, Alsager Whites said:

Two genuine questions:

Two good questions:

1.  Wonder if the facilities over there were cheaper than the UK and actually available for when we wanted to use them?  Also allows them to bond in the hotel - rather than going back to their homes if over here.

2.  Wonder if they have already met up with the goal keeper(s) - if they have a couple lined up and trying to sort out contracts.  They may have done the presentations and shown him/them around the ground and this zoom call was trying to sort out the final contract issues with the goal keeper they want at the club.  If all sorted the goal keeper may fly out to be with the team if contract sorted, so he can start the team bonding process.

Two genuine questions:
I can assure you since covid most companies have switched to video calls permnantly.

Archived