onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

4 minutes ago, Warren said:

Accrington are a club playing about 5 levels above their natural status. But that is not true anymore because they have developed the whole club in a very well run manner to be fit to regularly survive at League 1 level. 

Accrington are now an established league one football team. I’m not sure how their budget measures up with say newly promoted teams like us Exeter and forest green? Or is it simply because Coleman is a terrific manager and had got a great scouting system at lower level football? They seem to sign players each season who have a great season and keep them mid table. Got to admire them so much. 

Advert

1 hour ago, MBE said:

My theory is Hussey has bulked up to play predominantly at LCB as cover for Hall  if injured or should Hall play CB if we need additional height in the middle. 

He’s not dynamic enough to play at LWB on our pitch.

I hope not, I like Hussey, I think he has a good touch and can deliver a good ball from wide positions. I certainly do not rate him as a centre back due to his aerial frailties. Newport really played on that when we played them at home. 

Just now, sandyford_valiant said:

Accrington are now an established league one football team. I’m not sure how their budget measures up with say newly promoted teams like us Exeter and forest green? Or is it simply because Coleman is a terrific manager and had got a great scouting system at lower level football? They seem to sign players each season who have a great season and keep them mid table. Got to admire them so much. 

I love seeing Accrington's transfer business - it's always really obscure and bizarre.

This summer they've signed a 23yo from Newcastle who's only played 4 games of competitive football; a 35yo winger released from Shrewsbury; and a 26yo who has been playing for Brackley Town for the last 6 years.

Yet you just expect them to be competitive and finish mid table.

Just now, valeparklife said:

I love seeing Accrington's transfer business - it's always really obscure and bizarre.

This summer they've signed a 23yo from Newcastle who's only played 4 games of competitive football; a 35yo winger released from Shrewsbury; and a 26yo who has been playing for Brackley Town for the last 6 years.

Yet you just expect them to be competitive and finish mid table.

Whalley from Shrewsbury is still half decent, Shrews fans I've spoken to are gutted he's gone but I think he played at Accy with Coleman before when they were coming up the leagues.

19 minutes ago, Warren said:

I think we have a decent defence. Assume 3 centre halves and wing backs. It is essential the centre halves are comfortable on the ball and can play out from the back. So the right centre half and left centre half should be able to join in play with the wing backs. For me Smith gets in our team for tackling and blocking etc. But he hasn't so far proven to be good enough on the ball. So he is the middle centre half? If so we then don't have a really big centre half who can deal with big centre forward teams? 

I guess who we sign in the next few weeks plus adapt the defence to the opposition are responses to my queries.

Never seen Smith struggle against big centre forwards, particularly after he has brought them down to earth...so to speak.

2 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Whalley from Shrewsbury is still half decent, Shrews fans I've spoken to are gutted he's gone but I think he played at Accy with Coleman before when they were coming up the leagues.

Deji Sotona is a 19 year old centre forward who was at Man United , but went to nice , now looking for a club on a free ,  few league one clubs looking at him ! would fit the "Matrix " ideology , come on DC DF take a look quick 

5 minutes ago, jeffers said:

Never seen Smith struggle against big centre forwards, particularly after he has brought them down to earth...so to speak.

True, always say one of Smudgers great games was at Wycombe when he pretty much kept Akinfenwa of all people quiet all game. Plenty of bigger players have tried and failed at that down the years. Think it was Pope as well who said he was one of the strongest centrebacks he’s come up against in training. I think sometimes people get a little too invested in size for a centre back. Some of the greats at that position like Cannavaro were under 6ft.

35 minutes ago, Warren said:

I think we have a decent defence. Assume 3 centre halves and wing backs. It is essential the centre halves are comfortable on the ball and can play out from the back. So the right centre half and left centre half should be able to join in play with the wing backs. For me Smith gets in our team for tackling and blocking etc. But he hasn't so far proven to be good enough on the ball. So he is the middle centre half? If so we then don't have a really big centre half who can deal with big centre forward teams? 

I guess who we sign in the next few weeks plus adapt the defence to the opposition are responses to my queries.

There's a fair argument that height is overrated as a defensive attribute the further up the pyramid you go anyway. It seemed like we were most susceptible to up and unders from lower-ranked League Two teams, and it seems to make some sense that better teams are using more methodical ways to attack. I enjoyed the way the relatively short back three concentrated on winning secondary balls in the last two games of the playoffs. And I'd rather have dynamic CHs that can join in when we're further up the field.

Still might be a bit nervous about set pieces, but Proctor, Walker, and Hall, plus Smith's strength and Garrity's leap might give us enough aerial protection. Cass isn't lacking height too, though it did seem like this was his only true weakness last year.

1 hour ago, jeffers said:

Bang on. Smith loves a scrap, Hanson, Bishop, Davison etc.

The only time i've seen him really struggle was the 2-3 home defeat to Wycombe. Akinfenwa had him on toast that day, nothing to be ashamed of there for Smith. That said he learnt and played excellent in the reverse fixture, think was 0-0 ? 

Smith is 100% our number one middle CH, it's when he has time on the ball as a right sided ball playing CH that he has issues . 

PS

Can i add i actually thought Smith was better in his debut season in League one than subsequent seasons until last year. 

3 hours ago, philmpv said:
3 hours ago, newchapel valiant said:
Wilson seems to be walking fine in train ning gear and no cast. Looked fit enough to me. 

You can't believe your own eyes. Someone on FB said he was out for 8 weeks. Nuff said

Well he wasn't  training this morning. Make of that what you will!

image.thumb.jpeg.52b24a1989872054377fb651213a715d.jpeg

I understand now why people are worried we are going to get relegated already if we don't make any signings.

Coming back to the point made previously about the different opinions and the feeling that people are shut down if their view is different to the majority - I think we all enjoy the dynamics of the forum, certainly during a season when matches are played, but I've always said that with an opinion it has to be balanced and people posting things like "We're getting relegated" and the recruitment has been "very poor" isn't balanced. Not at all. It's knee-jerk. The season hasn't even started yet. 

Archived