Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert:

1 hour ago, 1 said:

Good shot stopper and cross catcher.

needs to kick the ball away with confidence and consistency

Of those 3 attributes he has the easiest one to fix.

Cov will come good.

The bloke is 30 years old, he’s not a kid and his messing about on the ball must have always been a trait to his game. He needs to get out of the habit, but I think it’ll be something that rears it’s head again. 

It’s too early yet to say how good he will be for us, but he’s got a lot to live up to in terms of the points and games that Brown saved for us over his time here. 

• Like 2

On 22/08/2021 at 11:50, andy jones said:

The one thing we all share is 'hope'. I have been 'hoping' for 65 years so there's no way I won't be 'hoping' until I breath my last.

My concern is the fact that Carol is making an immense effort to bring youngsters into supporting the club.

So at the minute we have over 1,000 new 'hopers' turning up for matches.

But have we got the type of Manager we need to keep those youngsters supporting the club.

Football has changed dramatically and turgid defensive teams who grind out results are not the future.

When questioned on TV after a match at Arsenal once about his team's defensive display a Stoke manager (Durban?) replied if you want entertainment go the circus.

Managers who set up not to lose, rather than score at least one more than the opposition, are not going to make those kids lifetime supporters... They will be off to the circus.

Kids, largely, support winning and successful teams. They followed the "1-0 to the Arsenal" Arsenal because they were winners. Hopefully - when things start to run for us, we will be that winning team? The football wasn't that bad in the unbeaten run, either!

9 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

The bloke is 30 years old, he’s not a kid and his messing about on the ball must have always been a trait to his game. He needs to get out of the habit, but I think it’ll be something that rears it’s head again. 

It’s too early yet to say how good he will be for us, but he’s got a lot to live up to in terms of the points and games that Brown saved for us over his time here. 

In his first season Brown was outstanding. In his second season he was very good. Last season we saw the beginnings of a decline in my opinion. Covolan has had a couple of dodgy moments but he hasn’t yet been responsible for any goals we have conceded. Give the bloke a chance. Torquay fans thought he was the dog’s danglies and they have seen far more of him than we have. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

In his first season Brown was outstanding. In his second season he was very good. Last season we saw the beginnings of a decline in my opinion. Covolan has had a couple of dodgy moments but he hasn’t yet been responsible for any goals we have conceded. Give the bloke a chance. Torquay fans thought he was the dog’s danglies and they have seen far more of him than we have. 

Like I said it’s too early to be judging and comparing him to brown just yet which is what was going on a few posts ago. 

Advert:

14 hours ago, LancyTony said:

How is that debatable? The very good saves can be seen on video clips...and even Scott Brown's top fanboys wouldn't say he dominated his area!

i agree, but he was a good shot stopper on his day and didnt go walkabout.! just a thought☺️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Hasn’t been responsible for any goals but was responsible for the defeat to Northampton which is bigger. And very nearly responsible for a penalty against Stevenage. All for the same errors. At his age he should know better. It’s a matter of time before he does it again and gets another red card imo. 

Hasn’t been responsible for any goals but was responsible for the defeat to Northampton which is bigger. And very nearly responsible for a penalty against Stevenage. All for the same errors. At his age he should know better. It’s a matter of time before he does it again and gets another red card imo. 
How can you say he was the reason we lost against Northampton? We were 1 down with 11 on the pitch and not looking great at that point? 'Very nearly responsible' for giving away a penalty? That's not the same as giving one away is it? If we're blaming players for what could have happened, then are you blaming Worrall for only getting a draw against Carlisle?

• Haha 1

Advert:

16 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

There were 10 other players who were equally culpable for that defeat at Northampton. 

• Like 2

I think the battering of Covolan is a bit harsh and comparisons to Brown are slightly forgetful...

Brown came walkabout for Walsall's first goal at Vale Park when caught in no mans land, then air kicked a back pass...

Covolan getting a red is it any different to Joyce v Tranmere when 2-0 up to fly in recklessly and cost us the game? 

Equally against Stevenage him bursting out to head a ball clear at one point probably saved a goal as it was going to be one on one so its about balance, he made a mistake unfortunately when keepers make a mistake it usually costs a goal.

He will learn, its the highest level he has played at in England and I am sure will improve, lets not destroy his confidence after 4 games when in fairness he has kept 2 clean sheets in his last three games and not at fault for either goal he conceded.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, philmpv said:

How can you say he was the reason we lost against Northampton? We were 1 down with 11 on the pitch and not looking great at that point? 'Very nearly responsible' for giving away a penalty? That's not the same as giving one away is it? If we're blaming players for what could have happened, then are you blaming Worrall for only getting a draw against Carlisle?

He got sent off. Which gave us literally no chance of getting back into the game. For me the keeper had a huge part to play in that defeat. That was a penalty imo on Saturday. He needs to learn and fast. It’s a more much important position than a winger, one error costs matches. 
No I wouldn’t solely blame Worrall as there wasn’t one thing that cost us the game. We had quite a lot of chances I thought. 

37 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

There were 10 other players who were equally culpable for that defeat at Northampton. 

Sorry don’t agree at all. None of those other 10 players got themselves sent off. He’s in a key position and shouldn’t be messing around with the ball. 

42 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Agreed, if people want to say he exacerbated our problems by reducing us to ten men fine can go with that but in terms of blame for the defeat I’d start with those who failed to do their job defending on a set piece firstly.

I do think in general some people are being very unfair on Covolan. He actually did a more than decent job for us on Saturday outside of a mad few minutes and frankly was a major reason Stevenage were not out of sight by half time. 

Edited by Guppys left peg
  • Like 4

Advert:

10 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Sorry don’t agree at all. None of those other 10 players got themselves sent off. He’s in a key position and shouldn’t be messing around with the ball. 

Quite agree and I can't understand how anyone can possibly defend a player who was red carded twice in a matter of days.

• Like 2

Cov has conceded 2 in 4.

Stone has conceded 2 in 1.

Bar a few dodgy decisions with the ball at his feet Cov has been virtually a by-stander with the odd competent save or cross thrown in.

At lot of other players have made more dodgy decisions with the ball at their feet but get away without criticism that lasts days.

• Like 3