Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

I didn't think we ever changed formation, just personnel.

Johnson off, Walker to CB, Pett to Walker's position, Garrity to Pett's position. It worked second half so credit due. But I never saw a switch in formation to a back 4.

8 minutes ago, Doha said:

Not sure where claims of 343 first half today are coming from.

1 minute ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

There needs to be a process, though. And fans get cranky when they feel they're being talked to like idiots by idiots.

There has been a process. We hired a recruitment manager, and didn’t just recruit players from either Macclesfield or Sproson’s list. It’s been 4 games. We’ve looked decent for most of the season. And how are we being talked to like idiots? Clarke’s been pretty spot on with his assessments so far. 

And are these the same two idiots who have both won promotions out of this league? Sure, they may not work out with us, but clearly they know what they’re doing at this level. 

Take your Pope blinkers off.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Still keeping the faith and maintain that we have better players all over the pitch but the first 45 minutes today was really awful.  For me that looked like 5-3-2 formation, with Worrall looking like he was playing in the midfield 3 until the second half.  Not seen a replay of the goal but the wall didn't look right and 5 minutes later the same happened again and we got away with it, surely the keeper should be positioning them better, maybe I'm being harsh on him.

Second half much better but still lacking that bit of quality.  I don't buy that we had a really tough stuff as made out, Carlisle and Stevenage are 2 bang average mid-table sides, they will not be challenging at the end of the season and Northampton and Tranmere beaten at home.  I agree very early days but for me these next 3 games are tougher than the 3 games we just had.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Powerline said:

There has been a process. We hired a recruitment manager, and didn’t just recruit players from either Macclesfield or Sproson’s list. It’s been 4 games. We’ve looked decent for most of the season. And how are we being talked to like idiots? Clarke’s been pretty spot on with his assessments so far

And are these the same two idiots who have both won promotions out of this league? Sure, they may not work out with us, but clearly they know what they’re doing at this level. 

I don't have Pope blinkers on. Flitcroft spends lots of money and it worked once - Bury aren't doing so well these days. Darrell Clarke succeeded with Rovers. They still talk rubbish and expect us to nod away. The arrogance of DC is so hard to accept, especially after the way he's set us up so far... surely nobody accepts he's got the shape right?

As Vale manager, he's won all his games in a 6-week period. Barring that run, its been abject.

Do I want him gone? No. I'd like him to be more than a pound shop Mourinho and learn from his mistakes. I'd like him to put his ego aside. I'd like him to realise that he doesn't get a season free pass to get no results.

Edited by johnjeffersfanclub
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fans talk. Down school, at the game at work. That is the way it always was. The internet just gives a different outlet.  And it is the same thing really. Everyone has their own opinion as to who is good, how the manager is, how we should play. Part of the fun of the game.

I'm saying nowt until ten games in. I have my thoughts, but saying nothing.  Let us see.

For the abuse  I have got for being sceptical about the project, fine. I will keep that to myself. But the implication that I want Vale to fail, is out of order.

You think I have followed Vale for 50 years, wanting them to fail? And I sit watching every game having paid 150 quid to watch Vale  fail?

I'm just sad that we have sunk to this level. And desperate for us to move on up, To the place we belong. Mid L1. I'm fed up with us lagging behind the likes of Crewe Fleetwood Burton. No disrespect to them but surely we should be capable of being up their with them?

I am used to the fact being a Vale fan is signing up to a depressing experience.

But it is really getting very tiresome.

Will I be back next week? Of course.

Edited by toyahw
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Powerline said:

There has been a process. We hired a recruitment manager, and didn’t just recruit players from either Macclesfield or Sproson’s list. It’s been 4 games. We’ve looked decent for most of the season. And how are we being talked to like idiots? Clarke’s been pretty spot on with his assessments so far. 

They speak right to you. Lap it up and enjoy it,

7 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Are you p1ssed up?

No didn't have a drink yesterday and rarely drink at all just have the odd one now and again .

Going back to the match James Wilson and two very easy chances missed second half really he should be putting them away a free header from 5yards out and just in front of goal from another cross poor control when he should be just rifling it home .

He is a big concern because lesser talented players would have put them both away easily .

Not unhappy with a point though and considering we should have being losing by a few at half time the second half transformation was needed and certainly seemed like DC as done his job well in the second half yet again as we certainly were the  better side after the break .

Worrying that we are only playing 45 out of the 90 minutes thus far in order to obtain victories we need be making sure both halfs of games we are at it so to speak .

Early days though and Wilson already missed 3 sitters in 2 games away and not really done much in a good way in the home games either lets hope this new signing is a forward who can put sitters away because for me I'd rather us play young Bailey at present than I played for Man Utd Wilson can see why is career has nose dived he needs to put in the extra training and hrs and get himself back there that Powell at Stoke as had the same story but he is starring at a small club and that can only lead him.back to a big club so take note Wilson .

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Like 2

Lots of interesting thoughts and opinions today. 

In my opinion, DC is playing large parts of games with an ineffective formation. He is also not utilising the strengths of certain players by playing them in roles they are not best suited to do. 

Players that have consistently stood out for the right reasons include Legge, Woz and Jones. 

Players that have not performed yet are Wilson and Benning. 

For me, we need to pair Proctor with Wilson up front and give them a run of games together to form a partnership. That gives us Woz, Amoo, Rodney, Politic and the young youth (I can never remember his name!) To fight it out for the wing positions. 

I'd favour 442.

Convolon

Cass Smith Martin Jones

Woz Pett Walker Rodney

Wilson Proctor

Obviously Legge when fit (for Martin)

When Conlon is back, I think the formation would need to change to accommodate him. 

With players like Gibbo, Amoo and Politic on the bench there's the scope to put pace and aggression onto the pitch for the last 30 minutes of games. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, johnjeffersfanclub said:

I don't have Pope blinkers on. Flitcroft spends lots of money and it worked once - Bury aren't doing so well these days. Darrell Clarke succeeded with Rovers. They still talk rubbish and expect us to nod away. The arrogance of DC is so hard to accept, especially after the way he's set us up so far... surely nobody accepts he's got the shape right?

As Vale manager, he's won all his games in a 6-week period. Barring that run, its been abject.

Do I want him gone? No. I'd like him to be more than a pound shop Mourinho and learn from his mistakes. I'd like him to put his ego aside. I'd like him to realise that he doesn't get a season free pass to get no results.

It’s not been abject though. We played well against Tranmere and Sunderland. Carlisle a draw was a fair result. And by all accounts today we played well second half after he changed it. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ron C said:

They speak right to you. Lap it up and enjoy it,

No, I think Flitcroft does talk rubbish and Clarke comes across as an arse. However, they’re not two nobodies saying all this. Both have won promotions from this league. So clearly they know what they’re doing at this level. It may or may not work out with us, but I’m willing to give them more of a chance than 4 bloody games.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, philmpv said:
10 hours ago, Warren said:
The top two will stretch away and be beyond us catching up. So we need to win at FG next week. It's time to turn robust defence and good chance creation into a significant result. 

Have I read this right? If we lose next Saturday, our 5th game, we cannot possibly catch up with the top 2 in the next 41 games?

It’s a 60 pointer 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Powerline said:

No, I think Flitcroft does talk rubbish and Clarke comes across as an arse. However, they’re not two nobodies saying all this. Both have won promotions from this league. So clearly they know what they’re doing at this level. It may or may not work out with us, but I’m willing to give them more of a chance than 4 bloody games.

I don't think anyone could seriously be wanting them sacked, as we stand.

My issue is that DC has come out with some astonishing rubbish, blaming everyone else but himself. I found his excuses last year laughable and fit only for children or people who have never really been involved with football.

This season, he has spoken more. I see through his rubbish. It irritates me that others drink it up. All managers/coaches spin to some extent. His is classless and shameless blame shifting.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 1 said:

He openly said on the stroke of half time he questions the recruitment management (or similar.) I think he’s sour because the unprofessional way the club was run before allowed for people like him to scurry in and make hay because nobody knew differently. Now he can’t, and his way of getting back at Vale is being overly critical of certain players who play in the positions he would happily fill with nonsense to line his pockets.

A real shame as Sproson is a real Vale legend to me but i have to agree with what you say