onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

16 minutes ago, Doha said:

They were nothing special whatsoever, Vale just bottled it. 

Hartlepool fans right about Johnson in a back 3. 

Worrall completely nullified at RWB. Soon Gibbons is back the better. 

I was delighted to sign a mentalist in goal. Not that kind of mentalist though. Puddled. 

Wilson poor before missing an open goal sitter and worse after as he’d clearly lost his head. 

Heard a few “Clarke out by September” comments, beyond daft. 7 debuts today, it’ll take a bit of time to come together. 

Weak referee easily led by modern game management. Amazing how every Vale challenge caused a head injury isn’t it? 

<ovf censored> ground no fans, sick of this tinpot league.

Worrall was hardly in the game today. TBH I’m not sure that position would get the best out of Gibbo either, because you’re asking a right back to play like a winger and do what worrall does as a winger. Equally when the ball goes backwards you’ve got worrall having to play as a right back which isn’t natural to him.  But I think we get the best out of those 2 as a pairing rather than one of them being on their own and being asked to play high up the pitch. 

Until they scored we were on top without creating much and I thought we were keeping the ball well and working the channels. But once they scored we went flat. It was clear the long throw was causing us issues, that’s where we missed Legge to attack the ball in those situations. The Wilson miss is a turning point for us, he should have scored and that gets us back in the game. Jones and Johnson played like strangers and i thought the left hand side was a problem for us.

Early days though and nothing to get too carried away over yet.  

Advert

5 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

Rodney played quite well and worked hard and … and… if you can’t say something positive don’t say anything…..

…….

……

What did he do? Can’t recall him doing anything well. It’s a forum for comment, whole point is to say something. He wasn’t good today. 

I don't like 3-5-2. It becomes too defensive and worrall is not a wing back.  We need to be playing it through Pett and Conlon.  I don't like eccentric goalkeepers, they'll cost you too many points over a season. We lack pace or a player with the x factor.

Having said that, we haven't had that many games in preseason to gel and played away against a team that have just come down from the league above and before we had a man sent off a draw would have been fair. 

I think we'll struggle for the first 10 games or so and then steadily improve but I expect we'll grind out 1-0 wins rather than being free flowing. 

31 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Rubbish start. 

Part of me can’t help but think the set-up is over-complicating things. Loaded up on defensive-minded players and it will be a season in ‘binary’ results.

Let’s not forget these have got 11 new players as well so the whole ‘taking time to gel’ doesn’t really work. 

29 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

What’s over complicated about 532 with wingbacks?

I mean the whole ‘me and Flitters have done all this analysis in a darkened room with stats galore’ nonsense. It’s L2 for Christ’s sake. I don’t need a spreadsheet to tell me Worrall is Vale’s most creative player so is totally wasted at RWB. 

9 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

What did he do? Can’t recall him doing anything well. It’s a forum for comment, whole point is to say something.

He worked really hard and setup the Wilson miss.The rest of the time he was kicked from pillar to post. 

3 minutes ago, Doha said:

We saw it too many times in the first half of last season. Playing with no confidence or flair, goal down and that’s it. 

Poor goal to concede. Stupid red card and a positionally restrained Worrall killed the game.

Not sure about Gibbons, full back and Worrall wide right.

Clarke has signed what people on here , many people on here, are calling the ' best midfield three in the league ' Walker, Pett , Conlon. No room for Gibbons and Worrall in their usual roles and even if we did play this way then the front two would need to score 30 plus between them.

We have a big squad, full of options but we need a balanced first 11 for the majority of games to do well this season. Dont see where many of the new signings will fit in. I would be happier with seeing a good , well balanced first 11. 

Yes lets wait for another striker and a left winger to join us but then where do they play and who drops out. 23 players, all capable of starting the game but do we have a balanced team ?

D C needs to earn his money from now on. He will not change players and systems after one game, that i am sure. We need to bounce back, SOON

It was a terrible performance really. Thought Rodders gave his all and a couple of times they resorted to some very cynical fouls to stop him. Other than that the lack of composure from us was not great. 

I think that to be fair a bumpy start was always expected but let’s just say there’s things that need to improve a lot if we are to do anything this season.

As for Covolans red card need to see a replay but he should never have put himself in that position. Very foolish play at best.

Surprised someone hasn't been Rampant.

Poor from Vale today, lacked any goal threat at all. The only chance I can think of is from Wilson. Which had gone in it would of been lucky as he had no idea of it.

Cov- less said about that. Terrible and inexcusable.

Conlon - zilch

Worrall - Zilch

Quite an underwhelming first game performance

My MOM was Jones.

Disappointing. Rodney is the only bright spark, we don’t have enough players like him. There’s not enough wingers or pacey players in the squad. I’d like to see Amoo on the pitch.

Back 5 just kills anything going forward from deep positions. The wing backs end up too deep and when they get the ball they just end up hitting a hopeless ball down the line.

Archived