Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

7 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I’m not saying they are. But equally why make that comment in the first place??? Worst case it’s like a ready-made excuse for them and influences there own mental approach.

And it sounds like we’ve been pretty crap today.

Yeah it did seem an odd comment from Clarke. Perhaps he just felt the team needed time to gel and feared the fans turning against the players if we struggled in August/September.

It would have been a logical thing to say post match but not pre match. Would that game have gone any differently had he not said that? Perhaps not, but it did seem an odd thing to bring up before matchday one.

Hopefully he is right though and a slow start will be followed by promotion form.

40 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Two consecutive sending offs, worrying.

..... But he does look smart in his trendy blue matching leggings 😉😉😉

Seem to remember someone mentioning this when we first signed him.Have the scouts etc failed and not known about him being like this?This now puts more pressure on the rest of the team.He really needs to get his act together,think about what he is doing when he returns back to the squad.Be interesting what DC has to say post match.(Might not say much about it as he seems to be more professional)'IF' other teams get to know about him being like this then they will play on it and more red cards will be given.We just need to trust DC and let him deal with it in house.

Edited by melv
  • Haha 2

Dissapointing. But win the next two home games and things will suddenly seem a lot better again.

Colovan needs to give his head a wobble. Or Clarke wobble it for him. Stone did himself no harm though once he came on.

• Like 2

Rubbish start. 

Part of me can’t help but think the set-up is over-complicating things. Loaded up on defensive-minded players and it will be a season in ‘binary’ results.

Let’s not forget these have got 11 new players as well so the whole ‘taking time to gel’ doesn’t really work. 

• Like 1

Disappointing but it was by no way as bad as some are making out on here. 
They have been very well organised, very cynical and have scored one scrappy goal.

We need to create more and have the confidence to play the ball on the deck more.

Very poor decision from Covolan, the sending off was deserved … no need to make him into a boo boy even though you all over one so much.

Who presents the trophy to Swindon for winning the league tonight? And I bet Harrogate are happy with promotion.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Rubbish start. 

Part of me can’t help but think the set-up is over-complicating things. Loaded up on defensive-minded players and it will be a season in ‘binary’ results.

Let’s not forget these have got 11 new players as well so the whole ‘taking time to gel’ doesn’t really work. 

What’s over complicated about 532 with wingbacks?

I thought that was really poor with some really nervy performances from some.

We looked one dimensional with very slow play and poor passing. We didn't react to 2nd ball in both boxes and had no creativity at all playing. I really hope we don't play 352 again - Worrall is absolutely wasted as a wing back.

DC wasn't wrong a slow start indeed.

• Like 3

I'm half expecting DC to defend him during his post match interview.With something like ...He is new to this level,he is still learning.He is gutted that he was sent off and knows what he did was wrong.He is sorry that he let his team mates and the Vale supporters down.

Poor start that. Johnson struggled first half, I’m surprised that their long throws caused us so many issues with our huge players. Keeper is a liability. He showed that in the chesterfield game and now today. Clear as day to see why he’s only played non league. Good news, stone looked steady once he came on. 

For me personally the formation isn’t great and as I’ve said for weeks we are wasting our best player at RWB. Get Worrall up the top end of the pitch where he can hurt teams. 

Long season and we will improve, but that was a poor start. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, melv said:

I'm half expecting DC to defend him during his post match interview.With something like ...He is new to this level,he is still learning.He is gutted that he was sent off and knows what he did was wrong.He is sorry that he let his team mates and the Vale supporters down.

Thats what i would expect too.

In the dressing room is another matter but Stone has three games to win that shirt now. If he does then that will hurt Covolan more

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, melv said:

Would any of that be untrue?

Besides he can't really say "what a stupid thing to do, he'll never play for me again, who signed this idiot?"

• Like 1

They were nothing special whatsoever, Vale just bottled it. 

Hartlepool fans right about Johnson in a back 3. 

Worrall completely nullified at RWB. Soon Gibbons is back the better. 

I was delighted to sign a mentalist in goal. Not that kind of mentalist though. Puddled. 

Wilson poor before missing an open goal sitter and worse after as he’d clearly lost his head. 

Heard a few “Clarke out by September” comments, beyond daft. 7 debuts today, it’ll take a bit of time to come together. 

Weak referee easily led by modern game management. Amazing how every Vale challenge caused a head injury isn’t it? 

<ovf censored> ground no fans, sick of this tinpot league.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1