Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

At last, fans at a Vale game with points at stake, what can we expect after such an overhaul?  Tough test against the Cobblers, relegated last season and itching to bounce back, or uncertain with finding their shape after changes, but not on our scale.  Hopefully Wilson can settle us with an early goal and establish himself as worthy of his pedigree. With Covolan going for a clean sheet as well as entertainment. Rodney to play or not? That is for DC to say. First step in a long season. Happy with 1-1.

• Like 1

Advert:

Northampton a good league two side bit of a yo yo club but all the same a should be good league two club first .

First games are always well attended hope the Vale following has a great day and the players all put  a minimum 7 out of ten performance .

Team well here's mine having watched only from a very long distance one game only so have no idea really but this is a match thread and I will have a stab at picking the side .

Covolan 

Legge Smith Johnson 

Cass                          Jones 

Worrall Pett Walker 

Conlon 

Wilson 

Subs nothing like watching old shows of big match revisited  wheres there's just one are as follows 

Stone Rodney Garrity Martin Benning Bailey Proctor 

At any point we can change shape Rodney can come on and show us what he is all about in a wing position where he cuts in,Proctor will probably start with Wilson based on what I am hearing about his productive performance yesterday,I'd personally go with the one in Wilson and tell Worrall and Conlon go and influence the game with high press and quality when we have the ball  

Three centre halfs I've gone for could easily be different think he played Cass back there yesterday instead of Smith but I think he maybe just resting the likes of Walker Jones Smith and Rodney but I wouldn't be too unhappy to see any of the back 3 changed regularly as some games you have more of the  ball and its the first line of attack if you distribute if properly ,and other games you are on the back foot more and you need players block shots and do the ugly things well .

Have a great season Vale will not be attending Northampton but be there v Sunderland Tuesday.

I'd give the captains armband to Pett  he looks on what I'm hearing a terrific player .

Must play L Legge for me he is very under rated but he is a winner in both boxes .

Hopefully it's on ifollow I'll be paying my tenner and tuning in .

I don’t see worrall playing anywhere else other than wing back. Benning will start at lwb too. Can’t see cass making the starting 11 either. Conlon isn’t going to be anything else other than captain, he’s arguably our best player. 

Advert:

Covolan 

Smith  Martin Johnson 

Wozza                       Benning 

Conlon     Walker  Pett 

Wilson  Rodney 

think this how we will go picked with little knowledge of football management .

• Like 6

Advert:

1 hour ago, EricHamesis said:

I'd be very surprised if Legge plays and Rodney doesn't (unless he's injured).

And given the eulogies he's had from both Clarke and Flitcroft I'd be even more amazed if Conlan plays but isn't captain.

I think it's just one of VFIA random things he's thrown in the pot.

Conlon is captain 100 % and deserves to be so. 

The most improved player at the club by a country mile over the last couple of seasons . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Why take it away from Conlon?

No reason he needs concentrate on opening up opposition defences and smashing goals in from everywhere .

I'd give it Pett because he will do the Joyce Role I'd expect they wouldn't hear Conlon as I expect him be further up the pitch 😉

1 hour ago, Rockape99 said:

Covolan 

Smith  Martin Johnson 

Wozza                       Benning 

Conlon     Walker  Pett 

Wilson  Rodney 

think this how we will go picked with little knowledge of football management .

You could be spot on with that

Advert:

36 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I think it's just one of VFIA random things he's thrown in the pot.

Conlon is captain 100 % and deserves to be so. 

The most improved player at the club by a country mile over the last couple of seasons . 

Maybe Conlon is a stoke fan?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2