Jump to content

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale


Fosse69

Recommended Posts

Weve been playing wingbacks all preseason so there’s no reason to think we’ll go into the season doing anything different. What will 100% happen though is that fans will want us to go 4-4-2, will criticise wingbacks for leaving too much space behind, for being too defensive, for not getting the best out of certain payers or not creating enough. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


12 hours ago, valefan79 said:

Any idea where fans can park, last time I went by car, I managed park next to TGI Friday's, was planning on phoning Northampton tomorrow to see what is available.

There's one or two places. Last time I went 18 months ago I got there early say 1-00 , easily got a spot and then went for a bite to eat. 

The one I used is pretty much next to that hill where you can see half of the pitch for free !! 

Afterwards is like Wacky races though with no manners or etiquette it's literally barge your way into the queue to get away. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4/4/2 two banks of four.....remember 4/2/3/1 is only playing one upfront and 4/3/3 is wingless wonders....sometimes think that there are so many formations inorder that there is always something to moan about.....if DC changes system in play then it gives everyone yet more to moan about......anyway it seems and most agree that it will be 3/5/2 and the team kinda picks itself with the only two undecided spots being Legge or Martin as leader at the back and Johnson or Jones at LCB......think Legge might start the season in terms of leadership and defending set plays and after a handfull of games expect Martin to take over while Johnson is probably long term going to play more games at LCB but that Jones long throw is a great asset and weapon.....so in terms of wanting a good start and not let any silly set play goals in Legge to start and probably Jones for the extra goal threat from long throws but once the season is up and running after half a dozen games the back three will probably settle down to Smith/Martin/Johnson.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

There's one or two places. Last time I went 18 months ago I got there early say 1-00 , easily got a spot and then went for a bite to eat. 

The one I used is pretty much next to that hill where you can see half of the pitch for free !! 

Afterwards is like Wacky races though with no manners or etiquette it's literally barge your way into the queue to get away. 

Yep. Very much free for all on car park there. I have , in past, stayed in car listening to results before a more sedate exit!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

4/4/2 two banks of four.....remember 4/2/3/1 is only playing one upfront and 4/3/3 is wingless wonders....sometimes think that there are so many formations inorder that there is always something to moan about.....if DC changes system in play then it gives everyone yet more to moan about......anyway it seems and most agree that it will be 3/5/2 and the team kinda picks itself with the only two undecided spots being Legge or Martin as leader at the back and Johnson or Jones at LCB......think Legge might start the season in terms of leadership and defending set plays and after a handfull of games expect Martin to take over while Johnson is probably long term going to play more games at LCB but that Jones long throw is a great asset and weapon.....so in terms of wanting a good start and not let any silly set play goals in Legge to start and probably Jones for the extra goal threat from long throws but once the season is up and running after half a dozen games the back three will probably settle down to Smith/Martin/Johnson.

 

Great to have options isn't it. 

I really think and hope that our formation will change depending on the opposition etc . 

It's been done to death about the 4-3-3 under Askey but I'm sure that will also be an option to Clarke and he's not blinkered or one dimensional. 

I really can't wait for Saturday and even if it's a defeat we are back watching football and have another 45 games to go .

As always you need luck with injury and suspension, let's hope for once our absentees are for a couple of games instead of the usual habitual injuries we seemed to suffer . 

Bring it on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Lots of unknowns for a lot of clubs with a large turnover of players. MAybe steady Eddie approach of Northampton will pay off who knows.

hard to predict a team with hardly seeing the new players but what I would comment is:

Proctor too good a player to leave out of the starting 11

 

DC likes to play two central strikers: my guess is Proctor and Wilson to start.


Changing Worral s position to wing back and lumbering him with defensive duties on the face of it seems madness as he s our most (almost only) genuine creator of chances in the box. Hope DC has a plan....

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weve been playing wingbacks all preseason so there’s no reason to think we’ll go into the season doing anything different. What will 100% happen though is that fans will want us to go 4-4-2, will criticise wingbacks for leaving too much space behind, for being too defensive, for not getting the best out of certain payers or not creating enough. 
I know. It's almost like fans have opinions based on what they witness. What's the world coming to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Lots of unknowns for a lot of clubs with a large turnover of players. MAybe steady Eddie approach of Northampton will pay off who knows.

hard to predict a team with hardly seeing the new players but what I would comment is:

Proctor too good a player to leave out of the starting 11

 

DC likes to play two central strikers: my guess is Proctor and Wilson to start.


Changing Worral s position to wing back and lumbering him with defensive duties on the face of it seems madness as he s our most (almost only) genuine creator of chances in the box. Hope DC has a plan....

 

Changing Worral s position to wing back and lumbering him with defensive duties on the face of it seems madness.

HERE HERE HE  IS NO DEFENDER and if we ain't careful that's where teams will expose us ,you do not have be a football coach work that out spot on comment ,you play to your strengths Worrall getting forwards to score and create are our strengths not being exposed and being the one fans will point the finger on not doing his job properly and losing games because we have put him in a role which is MADNESS. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bob Newtonian said:

Lots of unknowns for a lot of clubs with a large turnover of players. MAybe steady Eddie approach of Northampton will pay off who knows.

Im not sure they have been steady Eddie... they have signed 12 (same as us) and released 11

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Advert:


3 hours ago, philmpv said:
4 hours ago, PV1973 said:
Weve been playing wingbacks all preseason so there’s no reason to think we’ll go into the season doing anything different. What will 100% happen though is that fans will want us to go 4-4-2, will criticise wingbacks for leaving too much space behind, for being too defensive, for not getting the best out of certain payers or not creating enough. 

I know. It's almost like fans have opinions based on what they witness. What's the world coming to?

I think you missed my point (or I didn’t make it well enough) that there’s an obsession with 4-4-2 and fans find holes in any new systems that we may try and use. 

Edited by PV1973

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you missed my point (or I didn’t make it well enough) that there’s an obsession with 4-4-2 and fans find holes in any new systems that we may try and use. 
I absolutely get the 442 point. Drives me mad as well. But the space behind the wing backs issue, based on pre season, is a valid criticism

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...