Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

28 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

There is literally no difference in signing a keeper from our league who had a decent season compared to signing a keeper who had a decent season from league below. And fans would be buzzing if we signed a keeper for league 2 who had a good season

Why isn’t there? 

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

Yes, it is not like the two of the best keepers in the world are currently Brazilian.

It's a completely pointless argumentt , but the original point was 'Alnwick had better pedigree than Covalan due to his caps with England U17', which is a flawed point.

Well I agree but Alnwick had a better pedigree on the basis he had played well as a first team keeper for Newcastle United with one very good display against Chelsea springing to mind. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

What makes you think I am on a wind up. I would have liked a keeper who has consistently played 40 games a season at any level.

I suppose you would like the Russian goalkeeper the other night he is a international the clown but in your team he would be ok.

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

What makes you think I am on a wind up. I would have liked a keeper who has consistently played 40 games a season at any level.

Edited by jeffers

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

I think what Vale1995 said stands true. There is not a huge difference in skillset of goalkeepers. The top few in the Premier yes are quality but there is not the vast gulf that there is between outfield players.

The Colchester keeper for example is probably almost on a par apart from a few minor details with say the Preston keeper.

Completely disagree with you on that. There is a massive difference through the divisions for GK's. Technique wise not so much but if you look at composure, communication, distribution, decision making commanding the box, positioning its hugely different.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Well I agree but Alnwick had a better pedigree on the basis he had played well as a first team keeper for Newcastle United with one very good display against Chelsea springing to mind. 

But he hadn’t played well as first team keeper as I mentioned above. 18 goals conceded in 7 starts including 3 in a draw against Burnley all of which he contributed to. I was horrified when we signed him but he did really well for us. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

He'll be disgusted with it. Having to play each team twice? And away as well for 23 games? Not good enough.

I am hoping to go to Northampton if we are allowed. And Harrogate, Barrow and as many other away games as I can manage. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

The bloke had a very public fall out with Flitcroft who called him unprofessional and his behaviour inexcusable.

I can’t see it.

Plus we have a new number 1… the Tunstall Taffarel.

There were reportedly a number of league clubs after him so he isn’t a cheap option. Spending big on 2 keepers doesn’t seem like a good use of a budget. Young understudy with potential and move on to signing some more outfield players. 

For what it's worth i think our second choice keeper will be a younger lad maybe 23 or 24 who they think can push Covolan for a starting place

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MBE said:

Completely disagree with you on that. There is a massive difference through the divisions for GK's. Technique wise not so much but if you look at composure, communication, distribution, decision making commanding the box, positioning its hugely different.  

Completely agree. Imo there is a reason they are in that division and not playing higher. Makes no sense what so ever that a keeper in a low end non league side is as good on average as a decent league 2 sides keeper. 

17 minutes ago, MBE said:

Does anyone actually have any rumours of players we have been connected to other than Johnson who is rumoured to have signed already?

A coach at Pro Football Academy has said we've signed one of their youngsters, John Clarke who was at Stockport Town last season. Literally only played about 6 games so I'd imagine he's some kind of development player.

I've not seen anything about it other than from this coach on Twitter

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

For what it's worth i think our second choice keeper will be a younger lad maybe 23 or 24 who they think can push Covolan for a starting place

I've seen Rampant Zebra post on it, but Ryan Boot could push Covolan. He's won player of the year for 3 seasons at Solihull since leaving us, and they're in the same league as Torquay

3 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I hope you are not including me in those 5. I am not saying our new keeper is rubbish, he has only ever played 26 games max in a season at a lower level than League 2. I think it is a big ask to expect him to play 46 league games at our level so am hoping that he is only the back up keeper.

Do you think we are doing a good job so far on recruitment apart from the keeper who you keep saying you want as back up keeper although i am 95% he is here to be first choice which i have no problem with as he hasn't played for us yet so will give him a chance to stake his claim and i trust in the management to have done their research on him and any other signings

Edited by werstayinup

I wonder if we’re going to sign any decent wingers. High tempo, big pitch play that DC is on about must necessitate those positions.

Edited by 1