League 2 Relegation fight

Advert:

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We could have 90 shots on goal and they could be down to 8 men and Alan Buckley would trip over his laces and head the ball into the goal from 30 yards and we’d lose 1-0 .......may have something to d

I did mate, I also described Bolton as horrific.  What I'm saying is since we beat Southend we have 2 points and they have 7 albeit from one more game. You only have to look at Fulham. Newca

Grimsby still have to play Tranmere, Salford, Cheltenham, Bradford, Bolton, Exeter and Cambridge AND still have to make 10 points up on us Barrow still have to play Cheltenham, Newport, Exeter tw

Posted Images

Well we've not had a new manager bounce with Pugh or Clarke. It really looks like we're reliant on those points we put on the board right at the start of the season. They should prove enough in addition to the odd win here or there but it won't be pretty, particularly going off last night

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

By “people” I think @1 means the posters on here who continually said how incredibly poor Southend were when Pugh’s record as Caretaker manager was being discussed.

It was made VERY clear that he should be given no credit whatsoever for that result as Southend were so bad.

A few posters insisted that Portly Vale would beat them. And I’m sure one said he could do it all on their own. 

You did watch the game. Southend were shocking AND it was a game where the ball dropped for us far more than in any game recently.

We had the run of the ball and took our chances. In games when we have struggled the ball never seems to drop for us. We need our fair share of luck.

Another bearing on safety or not is in our own hands. We have to keep our players fit and on the pitch. How do you do that with Manny. Joyce andd Worrall could both be a doubt. Monty and Gibbo just have to stay fit. Cullen has played 25 mins so he is due another injury i suppose.

Not sure how we address the fitness issue. We seem to have struggled all season in the second half. Perhaps we need to use the five subs rule more.

With injuries,fitness,systems,lack of goals oh and poor players we have a battle on our hands. We need fighters on the pitch now who want to do it for the Vale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Our recent form is improving slightly, since Askey left we’ve won 2, drew 3 lost 3... not great but a point a game average which would see us likely comfortably safe if we can maintain it (ideally improve it).

Grimsby has a lucky win by the sounds of it and are ten behind. That was their first in 2 months. Barrow seem to get the odd win here and there.

Southend is an odd one. We battered them and they were so bad... think they’ve barely conceded and picked up so good results against high flying sides since, point at Cambridge, beat Newport and FGR.

We’ve got to worry about us though. It’s a wide gap still so we must tick the points over.

We’ve lost once in 4 so being harder to beat hopefully. Does feel like the first Aspin season a bit though. Great spell (just before Xmas in this case) then didn’t win for months but rattled off a load of draws.

• Like 1

It’s a real shame we can’t have fans in the ground imo. When Askey saved us from relegation and the black and gold protests were going on I think the crowds had a huge effect on galvanising the players. I remember being at Notts County away with around 700 others for a hugely important game, and the atmosphere was great. We took a point and played them off the park, and that was the start of our run that led us to safety.

• Like 3

Advert:

11 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

You yourself called them “horrendous”

To be really clear, I’m not saying we are not in danger of being sucked in... but we don’t need to worry that Southend are suddenly Man City.

I did mate, I also described Bolton as horrific. 

What I'm saying is since we beat Southend we have 2 points and they have 7 albeit from one more game.

You only have to look at Fulham. Newcastle and Brighton were safe( ish ) now after 7 in 9 they are both crapping themselves. 

Southend have gained 5 on us in no time. I don't like the look of our fixtures for the next 5 games at all. 

Would I swap places with Southend no I wouldn't, am I worried , yes I am. 

Successive wins would solve everything as per when we beat Mansfield and Yeovil the other season. 

We need a win. I'm all for Clarke realising we need to shore things up as we were leaking goals, the counter argument is that if you aren't really taking the game to Stevenage then who will you. 

Clarke has a massive rebuild on here and I do think we'll muddle a few wins to stay up but we are in for a nervous road to safety. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 1 said:

Also, if Southend are relying on goals like the one they scored last night to stay up, I am not worried. 

But they won 3-1. 

You can't use that as an argument mate look at Conlon goal against Yeovil. 

It can change quickly. Mansfield were on about the play offs... Bradford and Bolton were in big trouble below us three weeks later both in a play off challenge.

We just need a good week, maybe at some point in the next three weeks where we rattle of 7 or 9 points then the complexion changes and we look safe.

Advert:

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

It can change quickly. Mansfield were on about the play offs... Bradford and Bolton were in big trouble below us three weeks later both in a play off challenge.

We just need a good week, maybe at some point in the next three weeks where we rattle of 7 or 9 points then the complexion changes and we look safe.

I agree,we are looking pretty solid at the back but need to create more chances.Wozza is instrumental in that as proven in his top number of assists.

19 hours ago, vale@rocks said:

It has suddenly just come to my attention what Clarke has said. We are effectively a one horse pony. His comments were aimed at our inability to play anything other than 443 formation with the use of wingers. We now find ourselves in a very vulnerable position just 8 points out of the bottom two. Is this the time to use a strategy that Clarke believes in that produced the performance last night? Surely now we need to play the best players we have in an attempt to get results not toy with systems and gamble on the basis of his beliefs. Next season all well and good. Worrying glad i'm not the manager.

What I’m a little surprised about is Clarke saying we only have one defensive midfielder. I can’t believe that professional footballers can’t adapt their game to the position they are asked to play. Why can only Joyce play that position?  Why have we not got another player in our large squad that could put in a shift there?  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

What I’m a little surprised about is Clarke saying we only have one defensive midfielder. I can’t believe that professional footballers can’t adapt their game to the position they are asked to play. Why can only Joyce play that position?  Why have we not got another player in our large squad that could put in a shift there?  

I thought Alex Hurst had defensive experience , I know he does not have the physique  of a Grant or Griff. Manny no doubt could fit in as well , for the odd game.  

2 hours ago, valefan16 said:

This is it. If we'd have managed a scruffy winner in the last 2 games we'd be 11th.

The problem is we're absolutely awful and can't win for love nor money.

Advert:

I don’t think it’s as easy as just throwing someone else in to that holding midfield role and they’ll be good at it.  Of course we could try anyone of the other midfielders there and it may work, but Joyce has made a career of it and we’d just be making do with someone else. He’s just laying the groundwork for him wanting another dedicated holding midfielder in the transfer window. Cant really argue with him wanting dedicated players for the positions and roles he sees that the team needs. 

Edited by PV1973

14 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

I thought Alex Hurst had defensive experience , I know he does not have the physique  of a Grant or Griff. Manny no doubt could fit in as well , for the odd game.  

Manny and fit in one sentence 😂

I find his comments re the defensive mid a bit odd. If askey only thought the squad for his style of play needed one then why would we have more? This is the exact reason we could have done with getting a manger in with the window still open. Still I’m sure someone could fill in there if need be.