League 2 Relegation fight

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

I find his comments re the defensive mid a bit odd. If askey only thought the squad for his style of play needed one then why would we have more? This is the exact reason we could have done with getting a manger in with the window still open. Still I’m sure someone could fill in there if need be. 

Backup?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Advert:

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We could have 90 shots on goal and they could be down to 8 men and Alan Buckley would trip over his laces and head the ball into the goal from 30 yards and we’d lose 1-0 .......may have something to d

I did mate, I also described Bolton as horrific.  What I'm saying is since we beat Southend we have 2 points and they have 7 albeit from one more game. You only have to look at Fulham. Newca

Grimsby still have to play Tranmere, Salford, Cheltenham, Bradford, Bolton, Exeter and Cambridge AND still have to make 10 points up on us Barrow still have to play Cheltenham, Newport, Exeter tw

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, osprey said:

Manny and fit in one sentence 😂

Read an article today on Hazard at Real Madrid, you can spend a lot of money and it happens.

1 hour ago, osprey said:

Manny and fit in one sentence 😂

I feel sorry for Manny, he's a professional footballer who would far rather  be playing and taking part, I don't know when his contract is up, but they are worrying times for a footballer, wondering if you will be offered another deal, same for Amoo I'm certain they don't want to take the money and just spend all their time in the treatment room.

He doesn't want to be injured.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

What I’m a little surprised about is Clarke saying we only have one defensive midfielder. I can’t believe that professional footballers can’t adapt their game to the position they are asked to play. Why can only Joyce play that position?  Why have we not got another player in our large squad that could put in a shift there?  

Its the physique we are lacking with the rest of the midfield to play that position except Manny who lacks the discipline.

Edited by MBE

He's bang on. When Joyce was playing superbly we were a different side. When he's not on form (more often than not this season) we're terrible and leak goals. 

Were not going down anyway. People are really overreacting. There's at least 5 teams worse than us and the league table will show that at the end of the season. 

• Like 2

Advert:

29 minutes ago, blackdog said:

I feel sorry for Manny, he's a professional footballer who would far rather  be playing and taking part, I don't know when his contract is up, but they are worrying times for a footballer, wondering if you will be offered another deal, same for Amoo I'm certain they don't want to take the money and just spend all their time in the treatment room.

I completely agree. I don't like this "sick note" stuff.  People should listen to the Manny A+V podcast. It is just unfortunate for both parties.

Manny played a full season for the Shots before us and almost a full season for us first season. Since then things have gone wrong. Amoo played a lot for us last season, probably more than he ever has before. This season he has struggled. 

It makes you wonder if it is them being "sick notes" or us not managing players well enough? How many of our lot go out due to training incidents? 

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Backup?

I think as back up in a small squad you would use either a youth player or someone who can fill in there. I wouldn’t want two out and out CDMs in a smaller squad personally. Think you need more cover in the other areas  

I think the fact Clarke is bemoaning the lack of extra defensive midfielders speaks volumes about the way he wants to play.  Its looking like a turgid time folks 

Or he is just bemoaning your mates poor recruitment which led to him been sacked?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

I think the fact Clarke is bemoaning the lack of extra defensive midfielders speaks volumes about the way he wants to play.  Its looking like a turgid time folks 

It is a turgid time now. He can only work with what he has and that is a dodgy defence, and a midfield that cannot assist our defence 

48 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

It is a turgid time now. He can only work with what he has and that is a dodgy defence, and a midfield that cannot assist our defence 

And a strike force that doesn’t score goals.

Advert:

3 hours ago, blackdog said:

Some players will play with slight knocks some won’t I think manny falls into the latter somebody who was at the club a few years ago told me Micheal Walsh would only have to stubb his toe getting out the bath the night before a game would declare himself not fit 

• Like 2

The injuries have been bad in the past, but this season has been a real kick in the teeth. We haven’t been able to play a settled 11 with full strength and match fitness for any great stretch. A team with less quality but playing the same formation, same team mates, same responsibilities in that order will beat a better team of individuals that’s chopping and changing constantly. Not saying we would be be massively different, but it factors in over the entire season. Have to have professional coaching staff who are well qualified and ex-players along for the ride doesn’t cut it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valiant_593 said:

I think as back up in a small squad you would use either a youth player or someone who can fill in there. I wouldn’t want two out and out CDMs in a smaller squad personally. Think you need more cover in the other areas

If you recall earlier in the season Askey said Mills could play there🤣 

• Haha 1

Anyone can beat anyone else in Lge 2 at the moment, it's gonna be a dog fight.  Player/team morale, spirit and confidence will be crucial to Vale's survival. Points already in the bag give Vale some breathing space and a couple of wins in the next 4 or 5 games will make all the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

5 minutes ago, MBE said:

If you recall earlier in the season Askey said Mills could play there🤣 

Tbf he’s not the worst tackler, just <ovf censored> slow. We have 6 strikers who are all ok sometimes, but then no decent first 11 wingers and an undroppable Joyce because nobody can tackle consistently apart from him in the midfield. We always have over-subscriptions in certain areas then nobody to play elsewhere, every season.

Edited by 1

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

We have been shipping/gifting goals for fun with one of the worst defences in the league this year, if not one of the worst Vale defence for a generation.  What do you really expect the manager to do?  

We need to be defensive and nick a goal here and there to win a couple of games to secure safety before a major summer rebuild.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 1 said:

Tbf he’s not the worst tackler, just <ovf censored> slow. We have 6 strikers who are all ok sometimes, but then no decent first 11 wingers and an undroppable Joyce because nobody can tackle consistently apart from him in the midfield. We always have over-subscriptions in certain areas then nobody to play elsewhere, every season.

You're right he's OK at tackling on the odd occasion he gets close enough to his player. The problem is he can't pass, lacks concentration and his positional sense to read the game is no better than schoolboy football. Other than that he would be a perfect backup for Joyce.

• Like 1