Advert:

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not read through all the posts but as it's titled "Darrell Clarke", I wanted to post my thoughts. When you come in as a new manager you have to focus on the immediate issues. If you think back to

Players deserve credit for tonight but special shout out to Darrell Clarke for me. He set us up with a game plan that saw us dominate the majority of the first half. We should've been 2 goals to

Heres an idea why dont we judge him on what he does at vale rather than going off the word of previous fans. There are fans that love him like bristol rovers and fans who arent keen of him walsall. Wh

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Colin Plant said:

Walsall fan here,(in peace). I will give you an honest opinion on Clarke and I hope he does well at Vale, not for him but for the owners and fans. Watching Walsall under Clarke was very frustrating, he changed the team every week simply to try and counteract the threat of the opposition instead of playing your strongest team every week and letting the opposition worry about you. He signed players then played them out of position, drop players for no apparent reason even if they had just played a blinder the previous game. He liked to play hoof ball constantly to a lone striker who sometimes was about 5ft 6" tall. Never revealed what players were injured or how long they were expected to be sidelined which is fine but fans don't know whats going on and think he has simply fell out of favour. It was a very frustrating time to be a Walsall fan under Clarke and thats why the majority were happy to see him go. I hope things go well for you with him in charge and I will be watching with interest. Best of luck for the rest of the season. 

From our point of view, it seemed Clarke has done a good job at Walsall:

Stabilised the club after relegation (overseeing a large turnover of players)

Currently 6 points off the playoffs

Signed and developed two players that clubs higher up the football league have paid good money for

He's hardly been a Ian Holloway or a Graham Coughlan type disaster but according to most Walsall fans he has! Did you expect to be promoted this year?

Results until the end of the season are irrelevant aslong as we dont go down that is. 

he can only be judged from next season onwards because of the squad he is inherited im willing to give the bloke a chance so if we play but pick up a couple of wins over the next ten games thats fine because he needs to work out who he is keeping next season and who he isnt. 

anyone who thinks hes gonna come in and were gonna start playing well instantly needs to wobble there heads. Its a massive bonus if he did turn it around and we have a strong finish to this season. But lets not jump on his back if its not the case because  next season is where he shoild be judged because lets be honest he hasnt got much to work with this season 
I agree, irrelevant to some degree, 18 games left, our last 18 games we have been woeful and got 13 points. 13 points from the remaining fixtures would be enough (45pts) for us to survive. But really we should be looking at a much better return and finish comfortably in the middle. He's stuck with the cards he's been dealt until the summer, but even so, its about getting the best out of who we have. I'm still gullible enough to think we have a decent squad already, but for whatever reason it just hasn't clicked this season. A half decent manager can get out squad motivated and organised and climbing the table. Next season is the real test.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Any man who can turn Zac Jules into a £300k asset has something special about him!

Anyone who could do that has magical powers. 

• Haha 1

The day we worry about what Walsall supporters say... Tinpot club with a garden shed for a football stadium and fans that can't count past 10 without getting a nose bleed.

Edited by TylerB
  • Haha 1

Advert:

1 hour ago, Colin Plant said:

Walsall fan here in peace. I've been watching Walsall for over 45 years so I'd like to think I could give you an honest opinion on Darryl Clarke. Firstly I hope he does well for Vale and he repays the faith your owners have placed in him. When he got the managers job at Walsall we were all as excited as Vale fans are now but it didn't take long for that to dissipate. He did some strange things did Clarke and some of the most frustrating are as follows, he never picked his best team but always picked a team to counter the opposition, I know somehow you have to try and do this but it was at the expense of the attacking side of our play, it also meant he never played a settled team, if the team won one week he very rarely played the same team the next game. Always tinkering with the line up. He regularly played players out of position, natural strikers on the wing, left back at right back etc. He always seemed to have his favourites as well who would somehow get into the team no matter how bad they were playing. Watching Walsall was like groundhog day, every game seemed the same, huffing and puffing in midfield with no real cutting edge and if it wasn't for the fact the opposition were wearing different coloured shirts each week you would think it was a replay of the previous game. These are the main reasons Walsall fans are glad to see the back of him. You can't knock his CV and maybe he will do better in different surroundings, I will watch for vales results with interest. Good luck for the rest of the season. 

Colin, welcome good to hear other fans POV. It’ll make a change to have a manager who tries to counter the opposition, the last one we had liked to flatter the opposition. Currently he won’t be able to drop any of our first 11 as the ones that come into the team aren’t great, so he’ll probably have to pick the same 11 and try and keep them fit.

I watched Bend it like Beckham last night, can’t wait for the sequel, strain it like Amoo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TylerB said:

The day we worry about what Walsall supporters say... Tinpot club with a garden shed for a football stadium and fans that can't count past 10 without getting a nose bleed.

Hang on weren't you worrying this morning about what they thought with your 95% of Walsall fans quote?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Advert:

3 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Interesting post, CP. Many here would say we had the polar opposite in our previous manager who never seemed to be able to select a team to combat the opposition let alone change it during the game. Best example I can think of is actually your home game when we left the pitch at half time two up and lost 4-3, mainly due to Clarke making four subs on the restart and going on to dominate the game while our staff just stood there and watched. We had a set pattern of play, 433 - and hardly ever deviated from it no matter what happened. It worked at first then we got sussed playing the same way week in, week out and teams would set up to stop us. So much for playing your strongest team every week.

I can see it's going to be a lot different with Clarke from what you're saying!

Hi mate, he might just hit the ground running, I hope he does and it will be really interesting to see how you progress under him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

From our point of view, it seemed Clarke has done a good job at Walsall:

Stabilised the club after relegation (overseeing a large turnover of players)

Currently 6 points off the playoffs

Signed and developed two players that clubs higher up the football league have paid good money for

He's hardly been a Ian Holloway or a Graham Coughlan type disaster but according to most Walsall fans he has! Did you expect to be promoted this year?

Most think we have underachieved with the squad we had, obviously weakened now we have lost our top scorer and jules and the reason being Clarke tactics. It was dire to watch at times tbh. If only he would have had a bit more faith in the players in a attacking sense and stopped tinkering with the team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Colin, welcome good to hear other fans POV. It’ll make a change to have a manager who tries to counter the opposition, the last one we had liked to flatter the opposition. Currently he won’t be able to drop any of our first 11 as the ones that come into the team aren’t great, so he’ll probably have to pick the same 11 and try and keep them fit.

I watched Bend it like Beckham last night, can’t wait for the sequel, strain it like Amoo.

Listen PA don't bank on it. I'm sure he will find a way of changing your first or only available 11. He likes a good tinker does Darryl but seriously I hope he does well for you. He won't be the first Manager or player to be pants at Walsall and go on to be a world beater. 

Advert:

Most think we have underachieved with the squad we had, obviously weakened now we have lost our top scorer and jules and the reason being Clarke tactics. It was dire to watch at times tbh. If only he would have had a bit more faith in the players in a attacking sense and stopped tinkering with the team.
Zzzzzzzzzz

43 minutes ago, Colin Plant said:

Listen PA don't bank on it. I'm sure he will find a way of changing your first or only available 11. He likes a good tinker does Darryl but seriously I hope he does well for you. He won't be the first Manager or player to be pants at Walsall and go on to be a world beater. 

Can’t be any worse than what we have had to suffer through this season. 

59 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Barrow losing is good though.

That post says it all about our season so far.

Edited by MBE
  • Like 1