Darrell Clarke

valefan16

24 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Can't see much wrong with that to be honest.It's already out there on the tv for all to see,so what's the difference?

I would like to think that my manager would back me publicly even if he was giving me grief in private. It is easy for us fans to decide who's error it was when watching, but that is very subjective and we don't know if it was down to someone else's error or bad instruction.  

• Like 1

Advert:

2 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I would like to think that my manager would back me publicly even if he was giving me grief in private. It is easy for us fans to decide who's error it was when watching, but that is very subjective and we don't know if it was down to someone else's error or bad instruction.  

Like Askey did with players he decided were not worth talking to?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, For Us All said:

What's the point of hiding the mistakes of a player.If the manager doesn't point them out I'm sure the fans will.Players aren't a protected species.

It is only the managers opinion that a particular player is to blame though. I don't like blame culture and I can't see it being very motivational knowing that your manager tells the press that you are rubbish. Fans have their own opinions but they don't put it in the press usually.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

It is only the managers opinion that a particular player is to blame though. I don't like blame culture and I can't see it being very motivational knowing that your manager tells the press that you are rubbish. Fans have their own opinions but they don't put it in the press usually.

Ahhhhh well... it worked for him for 4 promotions. That’ll do me.

Advert:

10 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

But he didn't tell the press, it was leaked by others but unsubstantiated by the manager or the club. 

Either way refusing to acknowledge a player or speak to them is a shocking way of man managing and no wonder players stopped playing for him. As why would you want to play for a man who wouldn't even acknowledge you. 

• Like 1

If a player plays well he gets praised if he plays badly he doesn't need look on one Vale fan or read his many messages on Instagram or even have the manager tell him he played poorly he will know himself that he has not reached the standards he as set for himself .

As for anything in life you find motivation out of it so my chemistry teacher said never make anything out of yourself those words have never left me being in work since left school and every day motivate me .

So use criticism to better yourself not hide and say he doesn't like me and I'm Precious and cannot respond get out and show the Vale public in Mills case that you are a fine footballer ,do not sulk because some fans do not like your efforts get them like you by what you do .

The same goes for any player who as not hit the heights they probably expect of themselves so to me no harm in saying it as you respond with your next performance being spot on 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

One of my issues with him is that he names individual players in the press as making errors. I don't like it when managers do that. Have a word with them in private yes but calling them out in public isn't going to help them. 

Yesterday in one of the interviews, he said something along the lines of he wouldn't name individuals, or what he thought had gone wrong, as looking back he'd learned it doesnt work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Breadwinner said:

If a player plays well he gets praised if he plays badly he doesn't need look on one Vale fan or read his many messages on Instagram or even have the manager tell him he played poorly he will know himself that he has not reached the standards he as set for himself .

As for anything in life you find motivation out of it so my chemistry teacher said never make anything out of yourself those words have never left me being in work since left school and every day motivate me .

So use criticism to better yourself not hide and say he doesn't like me and I'm Precious and cannot respond get out and show the Vale public in Mills case that you are a fine footballer ,do not sulk because some fans do not like your efforts get them like you by what you do .

The same goes for any player who as not hit the heights they probably expect of themselves so to me no harm in saying it as you respond with your next performance being spot on 

People seem to think players need to wrapped in cotton and protected at all costs. Why? A player who would react badly to a manager sayinf that havent performed in the press is not a player i would want to see in a vale top. Id want that player to use that as motivation to come and put that right in the next game. Football is a massive mentality game and a player who cant handle being said they have played badly isnt what we should be looking for in summer

• Like 1

Advert:

1 minute ago, Mellor! said:

Yesterday in one of the interviews, he said something along the lines of he wouldn't name individuals, or what he thought had gone wrong, as looking back he'd learned it doesnt work. 

So hes learnt from his experiences. Which is something to applaud as if hes willing to learn from his mistakes as all managers make them rather than being stuck in his ways as askey was. Then that is another positive tick for him from me 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, For Us All said:

What's the point of hiding the mistakes of a player.If the manager doesn't point them out I'm sure the fans will.Players aren't a protected species.

Basic management, praise in public, criticise in private. players get grief off the crowd,  their team mates, commentators etc. Cures take a little longer. 

• Like 1

I think our new manager and players need to concentrate closely on our current parlous league position.  After last night's results, viewing the league table this morning doesn't make for relaxing or good reading. Three teams 19th-21st all sitting equally with 32 points and we are only 19th thanks to a slightly better goal difference!  Add to this worry, the fact that Scunthorpe & Stevenage have improved over the last few matches and even Southend has had a mini-revival recently.

Thankfully, Barrow & Grimsby are both struggling (although Barrow has 2 games in hand!) and Southend's & Grimsby's goal difference both look dire.  But with only 18 games to play for us, we cannot afford to relax for one minute and desperately require some more points and pretty rapidly!

• Like 2

Advert:

2 hours ago, Eddie Ford said:

Same could be said about Vale fans who thought we would get in the play offs this season.

I can understand that we had reason to believe we could achieve the playoffs with us finishing 8th last season and keeping the same squad together. For the record, I said we'd finish 10th this season (I'm also completely wrong!)

Walsall on the other hand finished 12th last season, so I think it's a fair question to ask why they felt they should be higher than being 6th points off the playoffs currently - and therefore why they think Clarke was doing such a terrible job. 

Can't get my head around it.

He needs at least until January 2022 to assemble his own squad and tinker around with it before a serious appraisal can be made, let alone saying we need a change. It may be that we just shuffle along getting enough wins to stay up, but that’s not an indication of what a Clarke team will be like come the start of next season. Don’t panic if we start slow, there’s a lot of deadwood he can’t shift until summer.

• Like 4