Match Thread: FLT R3 Sunderland v Port Vale

Advert:

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just checked and it's a 6pm kick off this one. So don't get caught out.

Lightweight.

Seriously does anyone truly believe that Pugh will play that same 11 away from home again in the league? Not a chance on this earth will he. Seems like some are just using that side as an excuse

Posted Images

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

We have youth players available. I’d much prefer to see to young lads given a go over them two clowns. Bailey is highly rated, give him a go. 

Imagine the uproar on here if he had done that and got the club a fine for playing ineligible players that didn’t meet the competitions rules of the number of players that played in the last league game, or have played at least 50 league games in their careers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Imagine the uproar on here if he had done that and got the club a fine for playing ineligible players that didn’t meet the competitions rules of the number of players that played in the last league game, or have played at least 50 league games in their careers.

You've invented a strawman there.

I don't think it was ever suggested Pugh break the rules.

You've invented that claim, and then hypothesised people would kick off about it.

• Like 2

I don’t get the battering we got and should of been 6 or 7, Visser made 1 maybe 2 good saves, Whitehead hit the post but that was more our own errors.

20 shots but very few counted as real chances. Defended ok I thought.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I don’t get the battering we got and should of been 6 or 7, Visser made 1 maybe 2 good saves, Whitehead hit the post but that was more our own errors.

20 shots but very few counted as real chances. Defended ok I thought.

It was more what we didn't do at the other end than anything else. We could barely put a few passes together for the majority of the game and their keeper could have taken a nap and kept his clean sheet. I had a feeling we would put in a bit of a turgid performance really and they didn't dissapoint. 

The next couple of games are massive for Pugh if he wants the role on a permanent basis. 

Advert:

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

Didn’t say for him to break the rules now did i? 

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

You've invented a strawman there.

I don't think it was ever suggested Pugh break the rules.

You've invented that claim, and then hypothesised people would kick off about it.

I didn’t invent anything, it was V593 that suggested playing the kids such as Eden Bailey, this on top of the 7 changes we made anyway would have seen us breaking the rules.

and as for hypothesised, it’s for sure people would have kicked off on here, Christ they kicked off enough because we started with our only realistically available striker.

19 hours ago, Joe B said:

Why would Danny Pugh, who has been at the club for nearly 4 years and has been a coach for 2, need to take a look at some of the players? He should have an absolutely perfect knowledge of every player in there

Its a completely different environment without JA . The set-up has completely changed with Pugh, Sinclair and Paynter. You need to see if all of your players have responded, capable of taking on your own instructions and ideas into game. A new manager(even temp) has to give every player a clean slate to try and win a place in the team to make the squad competitive which is where we have been lacking. 

Watching the two matches so far Its been a noticeable the difference in approach.

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

I didn’t invent anything, it was V593 that suggested playing the kids such as Eden Bailey, this on top of the 7 changes we made anyway would have seen us breaking the rules.

and as for hypothesised, it’s for sure people would have kicked off on here, Christ they kicked off enough because we started with our only realistically available striker.

People suggested playing a couple of the kids along with the nucleus of our first team, this would not have led to any rule breaking.  Why was Danny Whitehead playing yesterday instead of a youth player, why was Robinson preferred to Cullen, why was Crookes played instead of Fitzpatrick. Anyway we move onto Saturday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, valefan79 said:

People suggested playing a couple of the kids along with the nucleus of our first team, this would not have led to any rule breaking.  Why was Danny Whitehead playing yesterday instead of a youth player, why was Robinson preferred to Cullen, why was Crookes played instead of Fitzpatrick. Anyway we move onto Saturday.

Because Cullen has been out injured for a couple of months, yesterday was his first game back so Obviously not match fit to start.

Advert:

How many times have we come away from Vale Park either in person or, this season,  in spirit feeling like we have been mugged after dominating the game only to concede late on.

Well we nearly did that last night ourselves. But typical of our luck this season Monty's cross shot didn't go in or get kicked in. 

Then today we find we will be without our talisman striker for the rest of the season after he was clattered.

plus  Hurst and Whitehead injured.

One match we could have definitely done without.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why has everyone got so wound up about this game?  It wasn’t that long ago that loads of posters on here were saying they were boycotting this competition because of the U21 teams. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Why has everyone got so wound up about this game?  It wasn’t that long ago that loads of posters on here were saying they were boycotting this competition because of the U21 teams. 

No U21s left in now, 7 L1  teams plus Tranmere for a Wembley trip

7 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

No U21s left in now, 7 L1  teams plus Tranmere for a Wembley trip

Ah so when folk said they were boycotting the competition they just meant bits of it. Thanks for clearing that up!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Pope said himself it was an important game for the club financially. Think everyone is wound up with the manor of defeat

Advert:

I'm just sick of losing, Jean. We've lost nearly half of our games in all competitions, so to perform in a manner where we just don't bother trying to win is a bit galling. We deserve far better.

I haven't boycotted this competition either. As Pope says, it was an important game for us, hence him playing through injury. It's a shame his peers didn't approach the game with a similar mindset.

You're right. Get it gone, a load of nonsense. Dirty money.