Match Thread: FLT R3 Sunderland v Port Vale

2 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

People are using any excuse have a go at pugh we played a weakened side against a much stronger outfit and lost. 

judge him on the league performances 

nobody actually gives a stuff about this trophy so whys everyone going on like weve just been knocked out the champions league.

The money may have been useful?

• Like 1

Advert:

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just checked and it's a 6pm kick off this one. So don't get caught out.

Lightweight.

Seriously does anyone truly believe that Pugh will play that same 11 away from home again in the league? Not a chance on this earth will he. Seems like some are just using that side as an excuse

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

People are using any excuse have a go at pugh we played a weakened side against a much stronger outfit and lost. 

judge him on the league performances 

nobody actually gives a stuff about this trophy so whys everyone going on like weve just been knocked out the champions league.

Don't think anyone's fussed about losing. It's the manner of the loss, in which it was clear an hour before kick off we weren't bothering, and then didn't bother for 90 minutes.

I don't care much for the trophy but we've got to start winning games. The £40k would also help mid-window, and with the financial situation.

Again, using hyperbole and then discrediting said hypothetical hyperbole (knocked out the CL) is a woeful argument.

Vale fans, rightly, want to see Port Vale compete in games of football. I don't think that's too much to ask, or people wanting a pop at Pugh.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

Just now, Aguar61 said:

The money may have been useful?

Its not hurting your pockets is it im sure if carol wanted this trophy taking seriously she would of told the management and not so many changes would of been made

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

Don't think anyone's fussed about losing. It's the manner of the loss, in which it was clear an hour before kick off we weren't bothering, and then didn't bother for 90 minutes.

I don't care much for the trophy but we've got to start winning games. The £40k would also help mid-window, and with the financial situation.

Again, using hyperbole and then discrediting said hypothetical hyperbole (knocked out the CL) is a woeful argument.

Vale fans, rightly, want to see Port Vale compete in games of football. I don't think that's too much to ask, or people wanting a pop at Pugh.

And he has just took over a team who won 1 in 13 games hes clearly focusing on the league with his team selection. with the amount of fixtures being played im sure the club would prefer a bit more rest time for thr players. 

and again if the prize money was that important then im sure we would of named a stronger starting 11 

• Like 2

19 years of losing is taking its toll, Jean. I'll be looking like my Dad soon, at this rate.

Only 19 years - don’t worry it doesn’t get any better with time
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advert:

1 minute ago, andy jones said:

Joe,

Honestly thought that once Taylor and Cullen came on in particular, we were going to get to penalty kicks.

Unfortunately we didn't get onto Montano's cross shot although we had enough players in the box.

When we had got into the game Visser killed the momentum by putting a number of clearances aimed for Montano straight into touch, and then rounded it off by failing to reach the halfway line and conceding a penalty as they took advantage.

Thought Cullen showed why we should keep him and Robinson why we should get rid.

If Taylor and Cullen play on Saturday I would play with two up front and pressure FGR.

Would be interested to know just how 'inexperienced' that Sunderland side were. Seemed like some real quality there.

Keep the faith.

Roll on Saturday.

I thought Taylor had a good run down the left and then ballsed the cross. Added energy, though.

Cullen didn't seem to do much, at all, but at that stage I was half-paying attention so may have missed something.

I don't think at any point we were in the game Dave, Visser's poor distribution aside. I definitely don't think he was at blame, considering he was one of the few who, by and large, did their job. 

Big game on Saturday. 

Just now, osprey said:

Only 19 years - don’t worry it doesn’t get any better with time

At least you lot had a good few years in the 90s. It's been pure misery for me. 

Just now, Vale1995 said:

And he has just took over a team who won 1 in 13 games hes clearly focusing on the league with his team selection. with the amount of fixtures being played im sure the club would prefer a bit more rest time for thr players. 

and again if the prize money was that important then im sure we would of named a stronger starting 11 

I would have thought Pugh would be desperate to win every game, considering he's caretaker. He'll have some much more experienced names after the seat he currently occupies. He can't afford many losses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Joe B said:

I would have thought Pugh would be desperate to win every game, considering he's caretaker. He'll have some much more experienced names after the seat he currently occupies. He can't afford many losses.

Are you really that bothered we lost? Im guessing hes going to be judged in his league results rather than a tin pot trophy game against a team much better than us

Just now, Vale1995 said:

Are you really that bothered we lost? Im guessing hes going to be judged in his league results rather than a tin pot trophy game against a team much better than us

I'm bothered about the performance yes. It smacked a lot of our previous failings. The result, not surprised but the manner was the poor thing. Slag off the pizza trophy as much as you like, but it's the only thing we have an outside chance of winning. Fingers crossed, mid-table L2 here we come.

• Like 1

Advert:

3 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Grow up  young un,he's no good for us,just a wage stealer.

1 minute ago, toyahw said:

I'm bothered about the performance yes. It smacked a lot of our previous failings. The result, not surprised but the manner was the poor thing. Slag off the pizza trophy as much as you like, but it's the only thing we have an outside chance of winning. Fingers crossed, mid-table L2 here we come.

Nobody has ever been bothered about winning this but since pugh been in charge its a defining moment being knocked out?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aguar61 said:

Grow up  young un,he's no good for us,just a wage stealer.

So you know thar after two games in charge think its you who needs grow up

• Like 1

I really don't understand the negativity and over reaction tonight.This match was an ideal opportunity for Pugh to take look at some of the fringe players to see what they are all about with him in charge. It probably re-affirmed in his mind to try and move 2 or 3 on. I'm dead against Pugh getting the job  "until further notice" and think we should be acting quickly to get a new manager in but the club clearly don't...... so its Pugh unless we have another horrendous run of results . I can't see that happening during January as the players know they are playing for the future.

As for the game  it was more like a training session. We went with a game plan to hold our positions and stay with midfield runners to keep in the game as long as possible. Have a go at them towards the end to nick it or take it to penalties. I really don't know what some where expecting when we where playing mostly our reserve players. Defensively it was Ok but didn't keep the ball well enough when we got it back and it isolated Robinson up front. We had a couple of good situations in the 2nd half but didn't make the most of it with bad final ball or poor decision. Even the penalty stemmed from a a potential counter which we turned back towards our goal and made a poor pass. Is it just me or did Amoo look a bit stocky tonight??

I think there is definitely scope for some movement in the squad with the likes of Whitehead but I would also be seriously considering those less obvious like Crookes, Manny, Pope, Cullen, Robinson to try and improve our 1st eleven and match day squad on a regular basis.

1 minute ago, Vale1995 said:

Nobody has ever been bothered about winning this but since pugh been in charge its a defining moment being knocked out?

Where has anyone said that its a defining moment?

Advert:

I can understand in the league wanting to keep it nice and tight, stay in the game for as long as possible, try and to nick something and not damage your goal difference too much.

In a cup tie though, I dunno, it just feels a bit... what's the point? We might as well have given it a bit of a go.

Edited by Santa
  • Like 1

It was just awful football. I paid £10, yet after 60 mins I switched over to see Sheff United v Newcastle as we were so bad. I couldn’t care less about those two teams! 

We never competed and at no point did I think we would win. 

Blaming managers is one thing but we need a top to bottom audit of all the training methods etc at the club. They simply are not effective. You’d think with all the players kept they would improve at a club, not get worse.