Match Thread : Port Vale v Harrogate Town

4 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Thought Worrall was poor today and, when Amoo comes back, he is probably favourite to make way for me.  Thought he was awful with his passing today.

Never had a moment against them. Probably a bad time to play them as they're still riding the promotion wave. They will fall away in a couple of months I think as there isnt much quality in their side, just a load of hard work.

Take the point, still yet to concede a league goal and move on to next week against a pretty poor Morecambe.

Morecambe who are just 1 point behind us?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some absolute tripe posted in here today. Apparently Worrall doesn’t have the pace to play in this system, even though he was player of the year in it last season.    Obviously was a poor game,

What are crewe riding? A fart bubble?

Carls a genius. He says we need to look at playing better than we have today. Amazed JA hasn't called him up for a coaching role.

Posted Images

A bit of a grubby game, but not too long ago the sort of game we'd have lost.

To be fair, first half I thought Harrogate were excellent, big and ugly and they did their homework. They caused a few problems that we didn't have any answers to. All over the pitch it felt like we couldn't get any change out of them. That and poor decision making meant we didn't have enough to break them down.

Not a bad point all in all but plenty of food for thought for JA who needs to devise some sort of Plan B for these situations.

I quite enjoyed it. First 25 minutes we had to dig in and earn the right to still be in the game. Thought it was then pretty even until the last 20 when I thought we shaded it. They tried for quantity of balls into the box we were trying to get quality balls in. Worrall hasn't quite clicked this season which is a little bit of a concern. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Got to say it was a fair result. We weren’t great but they worked really hard to close us down and kept it up for 75mins.

No one wins em all. I would have taken 7/9 three weeks ago.

Win our two home games and get a point away to Exeter, and everyone is snatching your hand off before a ball has been kicked this season.

I don't think we played much worse than we did in the previous two games. We just played opposition that stuck to their gameplan effectively and threw bodies in the way when they needed to. A few of our players weren't quite at it, or weren't allowed to be at it. It happens. Let's appreciate our third clean sheet in the league on the trot and the fact that we've yet to taste defeat in League Two. I fancy us to beat Morecambe next week, albeit it won't be easy.

Edited by TylerB

The ball was desperate for the final whistle for a rest.

Difficult to win a game of football unless you at least match your opponents physically and it took all Vale had to do this. If Worrall's chance had gone in it would have been a different game.

We could have got steamrollered today but Leon Legge in particular and the rest of the spine of the team were superb.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

That ref was ridiculous though, every time a Harrogate player went down the ref blew his whistle. League 2 standard refereeing is still really poor. That should have been a red for the Smith foul in my opinion.

Agree about the ref, he loved the sound of his whistle. He was like a PE teacher.

• Like 1

Very poor performance. We needed to do much better than that against a very well organised and physical (to put it mildly) side. Thought we looked much better with Smudge at right back who never gave their left winger a look in and almost won us the game with his overlapping run and pass to Wozza. We never imposed ourselves against a very limited side who managed to outmuscle us and think quicker than us all game. Our passing in particular was appalling and what the players were thinking, lumping it up to Cullen all half is beyond me. 

Positives are another clean sheet, a point after a poor performance, another towering performance from Leon and we have Gibbo, Amoo and Pope all to come back. 

An afternoon to forget. How anyone can watch Harrogate on a regular basis I'll never know. Horrible style of football and cynical at times. Kirby, their number 15 should have been sent off for that tackle on Smudge. Not what I would call a welcome, footballing, addition to L2.

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Like 2

Horses for courses and today some of the horses were missing. We will play and beat easier sides than Harrogate. They are awkward and did their homework on us. Thought too many long balls lofted in hope rather than belief. Roll on next week.

• Like 2

I quite enjoyed it. First 25 minutes we had to dig in and earn the right to still be in the game. Thought it was then pretty even until the last 20 when I thought we shaded it. They tried for quantity of balls into the box we were trying to get quality balls in. Worrall hasn't quite clicked this season which is a little bit of a concern. 
What I thought. I thought Vale played better football but harrogate were more physical.

It was a tough game against a well drilled physical outfit, so I’m fairly happy with a point. I thought our weak points today were at fullback and Worrall. Playing Fitz at LB reminds me of the start of last season when we played Crookes there, no attacking outlet whatsoever. Bit gutted that Monty has got injured, as he is a far better player than Fitz. Also Mills didn’t offer a lot and went hoofball. Gibbo should come straight back in when fit. 

The problem with Worrall in this system is that he just doesn’t have the pace to beat his man. He got in numerous good positions and just didn’t make it count. Amoo would have made a big difference today. 

On the plus side, Leon was superb, Manny got through 90 mins and I thought he was a lot better in the second half. Rodney looked a threat and gave us some physicality in the middle. 

Food for thought for JA, but the good thing is, we do have options to change it up. UTV. 

Edited by Boslem's Brazil
Typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
15 minutes ago, JRC said:

What I thought. I thought Vale played better football but harrogate were more physical.

Let us hope that Manny can keep fit,  class there. 

• Like 4