Match Thread : Exeter City v Port Vale

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Evening All, long time reader, first time contributor. Want to say a big thank you firstly to all of you lot for keeping me informed, entertained and something resembling sane regarding all things Val

If we get locked down again next week then we should get promoted with 138 points.

1 minute ago, JRC said:

Clearly a very good win and I thought we looked a solid. 4 moment of quality really made the difference:

Brown's save

Rodney's finish

Conlon's through ball

Conlon's goal

Looking at results today and some of the quality in one or two sides I think it will be a very tight league this season. I certainly feel we will be in the mix. I was told the day after we signed Rodney that he would be the x factor that could make the difference this season. Having him on the left gives us a second out ball, which I think is going to help away from home. Man of the Match was Conlon for me, purely down to his two moments of magic making the difference. Need to follow this result with a home win next Saturday. Good to see Oyeleke back - I think we have only lost one game with Conlon, Joyce and Oyeleke starting over the last 3 years.

Yes, and a masterstroke by Askey to bring Montano on and move Rodney to the middle. If he keeps doing that, the only person on the opposition who will be happy is the right back!

• Like 2

Just seen Conlon's goal again.  What a cracker and Rodders goal was another composed goal, seeing the goalie rushing out and the defender trying to put him off.

It seems we are getting goals from the team and not relying on one person again.

Looks a promising start to the season, trying to not get mega excited, but this could be our season with what is happening off the pitch and now on it.

JA said there is more to come and the players need to close games down more.  If they learn to do that, what a team we will have.

That win can’t be underestimated and is a real statement of intent because exeter are a good side and that’s a tough place to go. Whether no crowd at grounds like this helps away teams is something we don’t know, but overall what a good performance. They had 2 unbelievable chances in the second half which is going to happen in games, but we rode our luck and Browns save is a good as a goal. Conlon has carried on from where he left off last season and on this evidence we are not going to miss Taylor. Legge was also immense too. Rodney showed exactly what pace gives you when you’re under pressure, which is something we’ve missed. And we still have Gibbo and Amoo to come back into the side too! 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2

Agree with the positive comments made.

That's as good an away win as you'll get in this League. 

Their first home defeat for a year, I believe.

Super effort from everyone involved. Gritty and determined but a touch of class from Conlon.

I'm unsure how we're going to keep all these players happy.  You could name another XI starters arguably just as good, especially in the final third. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Super effort from everyone involved. Gritty and determined but a touch of class from Conlon.

I'm unsure how we're going to keep all these players happy.  You could name another XI starters arguably just as good, especially in the final third. 

agree, come on you mighty greens!!!!!!!!!!!🤑

• Like 1

On 16/09/2020 at 21:47, Nofinikea said:

Its too early to know but I would expect Exeter to be up there come the end of the season.  It will be a good measure of where we are I think.  We must have one of the strongest squads in this league.  We have a decent 11 and 8 or 9 players who can push them, when was the last time we could say that?

So, I am going with a positive outlook...

Vale Win by 2-0.

People should listen to me more x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clayts said:

Evening All, long time reader, first time contributor. Want to say a big thank you firstly to all of you lot for keeping me informed, entertained and something resembling sane regarding all things Vale over the past few 'trying' years, and for all that many of you did in helping get rid of N**m. 

Anyway, it's so good to be able to make my first post after a game like that. Thought in all honesty that it was a fairly even game in most respects, the difference being they missed their chances whilst we had two wonderfully executed goals, but we do look like such a well-drilled, organised squad that they can't have any arguments with us taking the 3 points.

Conlon MotM for me, had to be after that free-kick and the assist, he's looking absolute class so far this season, but closely followed today by Smith, with Legge a beast as usual (and whilst Bowman got away with treading on him, thought there were a couple that could have gone against Legge too, was just a good physical battle).

I was encouraged by both full-backs today as well, thought both of them made some very timely interventions and read the game well, particularly first half, and Fitz kept Williams fairly quiet when he came on too. Mills I think tired a little last 15, hence he couldn't get over to block those two crosses, but not surprising given he's played every minute of the three games in the last week. While I'd take a 100% fit Gibbo over Mills, I'd be tempted to stick with Fitz at LB, certainly for away games, with Monty a great option (dependent on opposition shape/quality) at LW to provide more support coming back, moving Rodney over to terrify their CBs.

Rodney has all the hallmarks of a proper fan's favourite, definitely going to be the kind of player to both delight and frustrate everyone, and hopefully the balance between the two will gradually improve as the season wears on, but there's a great player in there. With his pace and strength, coupled with occasional poor decision-making and aimlessness, he reminds me a bit of a lower-league version of Adama Traoré of Wolves, in his Boro days maybe. Great asset either way.

Very happy to see Manny back as well, the man's class and (injuries permitting) will only get stronger over the coming weeks. To think Burgess, given how good he was second half of last season, is now behind Manny and Whitehead in the pecking order is a really good indicator as to the strength of our squad. All this with McKirdy (and to an extent Theo) still to get up to speed, plus Amoo, Gibbo and Pope to come back. Wow. Happy days. UTV!

A fine debut,  welcome to the site, look forward to your  future contributions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Difficult job for Askey, but surely preferable to scraping the barrel to fill  the bench.  With virtually two squads,  a winning team keeps their places, obviously injuries happen  which allow  challengers in.  Later on in the season rotation will be useful, but early on an opportunity to set a  pattern?  

This is an 11 that didn't start today, due to either injury or just being benched.

Visser, Gibbons, Brisley, Crooks, Montano, Whitehead, Trickett-Smith, Burgess, McKirdy, Amoo, Pope

I'd fancy that team to hold it's own in the league, and that front three is probably better than most sides in League Two.

The job Askey (and the owners) have done is a relatively short space of time in assembling such a strong squad of players is a credit to all of them!

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 2

Excellent Vale team performance and one that has gone unnoticed by the press in Devon.They were impressed with Vale and said it was a fully deserved victory.When was the last time Vale received accolades two weeks on the trot from the opposition and media.?

• Like 1

Credit to the boys today, they were all superb. Coming down to Exeter is never easy, but we looked comfortable throughout the game.

Exeter themselves are a good side, and I believe they will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season. That is what makes the victory even more pleasing. 

A special mention has to go to Manny, he absolutely bossed that midfield in the first half. I genuinely believe he could be key to being a successful side this season. 

With the likes of Gibbons, Amoo, Pope, McKirdy all ready to compete at some point, we can genuinely start to believe that there are good times ahead. 

Long may it continue! 

• Like 1

Conlon is currently playing as one of the best midfielders in the league. Exeter had a couple of free kicks in similar positions but they were terrible in comparison. That wouldn't look out of place in the Premier League. The second was all about tenacity, but the weight and execution of the pass was perfect for Dave to run on to and his pace instantly burned away from the defender.

What's very promising is that we haven't had to be at our best to beat these two sides. It's been pretty comfortable without getting out of 2nd gear.

• Like 2