onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

League 2 this season?

Phil1965

Evening chaps! How do you see this season finishing? We scraped a point at Macc tonight, and my feeling is that it will be the play offs at best for us this season, can see Swindon, Exeter and maybe Plymouth taking the top three places, but the play offs are achievable for several clubs, including Vale.

I’ll go for Bradford, Crewe, Cheltenham and Port Vale to make the play offs.

Any thoughts?

Advert

3 hours ago, Phil1965 said:

Evening chaps! How do you see this season finishing? We scraped a point at Macc tonight, and my feeling is that it will be the play offs at best for us this season, can see Swindon, Exeter and maybe Plymouth taking the top three places, but the play offs are achievable for several clubs, including Vale.

I’ll go for Bradford, Crewe, Cheltenham and Port Vale to make the play offs.

Any thoughts?

All we can say for certain at this juncture Phil is we are in a better place as a football club thanks to Carol & Kevin Shanahan.

If we reach the play-offs - fine. The default position for us is rebuilding Port Vales' reputation on and off the pitch.

To be quite honest the only team that has played us off the pitch (apart from Citeh) has been Exeter, and one half against Grimsby and Colchester. Although the former was more to do with getting it wrong rather than much they did.

On the other hand the only teams we have really put to the sword are Morecombe when they were ten men. And Swindon, surprisingly. 

It is has generally all been very close games in general as reflected in our GD. Newport and Salford must be outsiders to make a run for the  play-offs.

I don't think we have enough, just don't score enough, but we're still hanging up there. We have a rotten run of fixtures coming up on paper, but on the other hand we've done better against the better teams. You never know but it is a long shot. If we can win one of our next two, get Taylor back and maybe even Manny? You never know.

But it beats looking at the gap to relegation, (19 - not that I look honest). 

Swindon, Crewe, and Plymouth for the autos.

Exeter, Cheltenham Northampton, and Colchester. For the playoff; despite experience in the squad, Bradford fans seem unhappy with Bowyer and is struggling to get Doyle firing in his Swindon form.

Vale 10th. One of those seasons when we need to win the last 6 with a GD of +32 to get 7th, but at least the season stays alive till the end.

Relegated; Carlisle. I think Westley and Adams will keep Stevenage and Morecambe up, and Macc have a habit of pulling it out of the bag. Carlisle have lost Branthwaite and I spoke to a few of them in the pub prior to our game with them this season, and they were very despondent, and its gotten worse since.

50 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

We will finish 4th. Believe it or not I think we will do better the 2nd half then the 1st half of the season. We are not that far off. 

Just about possible, we would have to win one game more per month  than the teams currently above us and 3rd place, similar to the form when we last went up to Tier 2. I said just about possible.

It has been a pleasure to watch Crewe at times this season. The core of the team - Ng, Wintle, Lowery, Pickering, Kirk, Finney, Ainley, Dale, all grew up together in the same youth team, and they are balanced with a few seasoned pros like Green, Powell, Hunt and Porter. Anene has been a useful addition too with Porter being injured. But we have been lucky with injuries and the squad isn’t big, so we will see how the final third goes. I think the play offs would be a good achievement. Maybe Port Vale will be better placed next season?

22 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

We will finish 4th. Believe it or not I think we will do better the 2nd half then the 1st half of the season. We are not that far off. 

You might have a point there, as there was a fair bit of experimenting and bedding in going on early season.

We definitely seem to have settled down into something of a unit now, so maybe, just maybe ...

Archived