Phil1965

League 2 this season?

Evening chaps! How do you see this season finishing? We scraped a point at Macc tonight, and my feeling is that it will be the play offs at best for us this season, can see Swindon, Exeter and maybe Plymouth taking the top three places, but the play offs are achievable for several clubs, including Vale.

I’ll go for Bradford, Crewe, Cheltenham and Port Vale to make the play offs.

Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Phil1965 said:

Evening chaps! How do you see this season finishing? We scraped a point at Macc tonight, and my feeling is that it will be the play offs at best for us this season, can see Swindon, Exeter and maybe Plymouth taking the top three places, but the play offs are achievable for several clubs, including Vale.

I’ll go for Bradford, Crewe, Cheltenham and Port Vale to make the play offs.

Any thoughts?

All we can say for certain at this juncture Phil is we are in a better place as a football club thanks to Carol & Kevin Shanahan.

If we reach the play-offs - fine. The default position for us is rebuilding Port Vales' reputation on and off the pitch.

• Like 1

To be quite honest the only team that has played us off the pitch (apart from Citeh) has been Exeter, and one half against Grimsby and Colchester. Although the former was more to do with getting it wrong rather than much they did.

On the other hand the only teams we have really put to the sword are Morecombe when they were ten men. And Swindon, surprisingly. 

It is has generally all been very close games in general as reflected in our GD. Newport and Salford must be outsiders to make a run for the  play-offs.

I don't think we have enough, just don't score enough, but we're still hanging up there. We have a rotten run of fixtures coming up on paper, but on the other hand we've done better against the better teams. You never know but it is a long shot. If we can win one of our next two, get Taylor back and maybe even Manny? You never know.

But it beats looking at the gap to relegation, (19 - not that I look honest). 

Swindon, Crewe, and Plymouth for the autos.

Exeter, Cheltenham Northampton, and Colchester. For the playoff; despite experience in the squad, Bradford fans seem unhappy with Bowyer and is struggling to get Doyle firing in his Swindon form.

Vale 10th. One of those seasons when we need to win the last 6 with a GD of +32 to get 7th, but at least the season stays alive till the end.

Relegated; Carlisle. I think Westley and Adams will keep Stevenage and Morecambe up, and Macc have a habit of pulling it out of the bag. Carlisle have lost Branthwaite and I spoke to a few of them in the pub prior to our game with them this season, and they were very despondent, and its gotten worse since.

2 hours ago, Emile said:

Swindon

Exeter

Plymouth

Bradford

Cheltenham

Colchester

Northampton

For the drop

Morcombe

Macclesfield

Don’t forget only one to go down this season. 

swindon ^

plymouth ^

exeter ^

---

crewe

bradford

colchester

vale (knocking crewe out first round of PO) ^

---

Morecambe 

5 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs. We’ll finish 15th , but I stand to be corrected. 

15th! no chance son

10th min

50 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

We will finish 4th. Believe it or not I think we will do better the 2nd half then the 1st half of the season. We are not that far off. 

Just about possible, we would have to win one game more per month  than the teams currently above us and 3rd place, similar to the form when we last went up to Tier 2. I said just about possible.

Think mid table for us which is progress and is  what we always realistically hoped for at the start of the season. Lack of goals will be our shortcoming. Interesting comparison with Crewe who score goals and win matches like Mac away ,where they apparently  didn't play well but came away with something. Expect them to go up.

It has been a pleasure to watch Crewe at times this season. The core of the team - Ng, Wintle, Lowery, Pickering, Kirk, Finney, Ainley, Dale, all grew up together in the same youth team, and they are balanced with a few seasoned pros like Green, Powell, Hunt and Porter. Anene has been a useful addition too with Porter being injured. But we have been lucky with injuries and the squad isn’t big, so we will see how the final third goes. I think the play offs would be a good achievement. Maybe Port Vale will be better placed next season?

22 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

We will finish 4th. Believe it or not I think we will do better the 2nd half then the 1st half of the season. We are not that far off. 

You might have a point there, as there was a fair bit of experimenting and bedding in going on early season.

We definitely seem to have settled down into something of a unit now, so maybe, just maybe ...

1 hour ago, Phil1965 said:

It has been a pleasure to watch Crewe at times this season. The core of the team - Ng, Wintle, Lowery, Pickering, Kirk, Finney, Ainley, Dale, all grew up together in the same youth team, and they are balanced with a few seasoned pros like Green, Powell, Hunt and Porter. Anene has been a useful addition too with Porter being injured. But we have been lucky with injuries and the squad isn’t big, so we will see how the final third goes. I think the play offs would be a good achievement. Maybe Port Vale will be better placed next season?

Do you think you will survive the transfer window ? Money at all clubs at this level (Except Salford ) is tight do Crewe need to sell ?

It’ll be interesting to see how Swindon go now, having lost the league’s 2 leading scorers.  Maybe either one or the other will reappear there before the window closes.  They’ve signed Hope, who I like, but can’t for one minute see being as prolific, so he’s nailed on to score on Saturday. 😳

Pains me to say it but can see Crewe in the top 3, baring sales or injury.

Outside bet would be Northampton.

If we manage 10th I’ll be delighted. 👍

We seem to have perfected the art of winning late, which is most un Crewe like. There is a bit of a gap now between the top four and the rest. Two great away wins for Vale, though two red cards doesn’t help. I think autos and play offs will go down to the final week. Pleased to see Northampton lose twice as their brand of football is unpalatable to me.

Looks like 3 from 4 for the automatic now. You obviously in the box seat if you avoid defeat at Plymouth.

Apart from us turning you over again I doubt that you will lose many more.