Depth in the squad.

Playa Amodores

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vale used to have a Reserve team and an A and a B team.

Did the Vale Reserve team play in a league called the "District League or Northern District League" and did the A and B teams play in the Cheshire League and Midland Intermediate "A" League, all the results and 3 leagues were published regularly in the Sentinel and sometimes in Vale programmes.

Pretty sure the 1st and 2nd Division Reserve teams played in the Central League.

To swap out Rawlinson, a player who never put a foot wrong without being spectacular, for Kennedy and Brisley in hindsight looks mad. Kennedy has now been sent back to the team he came from he's that bad, and Brisley looked like he had never kicked a football before on Tuesday.

We have no real left back, poor options (beyond first team) at cb, rb and winger.

I think the strikers will come good, at different stages all year we have seen form from each of Bennett, Cullen and Popey. We are certainly stronger than we have been for years in that position, but I dont know whether that says more about our current crop or previous years players.

Hopefully Tuesday was an eye-opener for JA.

3 hours ago, Walka003 said:

To swap out Rawlinson, a player who never put a foot wrong without being spectacular, for Kennedy and Brisley in hindsight looks mad. Kennedy has now been sent back to the team he came from he's that bad, and Brisley looked like he had never kicked a football before on Tuesday.

We have no real left back, poor options (beyond first team) at cb, rb and winger.

I think the strikers will come good, at different stages all year we have seen form from each of Bennett, Cullen and Popey. We are certainly stronger than we have been for years in that position, but I dont know whether that says more about our current crop or previous years players.

Hopefully Tuesday was an eye-opener for JA.

I’m led to believe that Rawlinson’s departure wasn’t just a footballing decision but that may be wrong.  I don’t think Brisley is as bad as he looked in Tuesday. 

It is impossible to judge how good or otherwise our squad players are as they never get any game time. We are not alone in this and surely the clubs can get together and sort something out.

The football league trophy has just become a competition for match practice. 

Feel the squad is not as strong as we all first thought it was and a lot of the players let the fans, manager, owners and more importantly themselves down on tuesday.

Thought tuesday's game was a very winnable game against Salford who also made 7 changes and had not won this year - cue Vale playing them and changing it due to our generosity to clubs below us on a bad run.  However, that game just showed certain players could not motivate themselves to push for a regular place and why they are after thoughts for making a playing squad.

Is this due to Vale pulling out of the reserves league and then having to rely on other teams actually playing us,  Then when they do, they put out their 18-21 yr old players and players coming back from injury, so our players don't get a proper work out.  Hopefully this is being reviewed by JA and Co as a possible reason players seem off key.  

Are players not actually motivated to try and break into the first team playing squad or just think why bother - I will just do the bare minimum and get paid.  I don't think it is this, well hope it is not this and the players are trying their best.

I’m led to believe that Rawlinson’s departure wasn’t just a footballing decision but that may be wrong.  I don’t think Brisley is as bad as he looked in Tuesday. 
If that's the case then fair enough we don't want those kind of players in the dressing room. What concerns me is Notts County considered him to be a better option to have than Brisley, and they are in the league below.

I agree with a lit of what's been said on this subject. What we can't accept any longer is the rather tired and worn excuse of inconsistency. I get that you will get inconsistency at this level, but that line is used too often to defend poor performances  Let's be honest enough to recognise that it goes beyond that and comes down to basic lack of quality and ability displayed by a significant number of the squad and that means that there isn't going to be a quick fix. 

The fact that we've done so well so far this season is clearly down to the difference that John Askey and Dave Kevan have made and the notable performances of five or six players. Go beyond that and the footballing nous is starkly lacking. 

Many may disagree that we're not geared up for promotion,  even if we achieved it via the play offs, but if I cad a crystal ball,  I would prefer to sign the necessary players in the summer so that we could give it a real go next season, with much stronger foundations to progress , because right now I believe that it would be more likely that we wouldn't survive in L1 next season which would feel like a real kick in the whatsits, with people saying "here we go again"

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

He got a better offer from county. 

Yes i know , i was more referring to a suggestion he was in the naughty brigade with Whitfield, Miller etc. Someone suggested his departure may not of been Football related.

Whilst he was no Bobby Moore i felt at CH he was adequate cover, at full back he was exposed and often hung out to dry. 

I guess once you are deemed surplus to requirements and have stepped out of line it's hard to fully re-establish yourself. No doubt he would have been on the bench anyway and not playing automatically. There might be more to it than the story indicates.

One of the problems we've had in the full back positions has been the fact that the players/wingers in front of them very often do not help out much or have any kind of physical presence. As a result our full backs can get overloaded down their side and overrun. Worrall does his best but the others are not much use at defending and lose concentration. They need to be more like Birchall and McCarthy who ran up and down the line and put in an enormous effort to help out the right back. We are vulnerable down the flanks - on both sides.

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Yes i know , i was more referring to a suggestion he was in the naughty brigade with Whitfield, Miller etc. Someone suggested his departure may not of been Football related.

Whilst he was no Bobby Moore i felt at CH he was adequate cover, at full back he was exposed and often hung out to dry. 

He was offered an olive branch and was back in the squad with us. Then county came in with a better offer.

Archived