Walka003

January transfer window

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

Whomever we sign, if they're not 'known' or 'proven League 2 quality players', I fully expect the usual suspects to cry, moan and shout about the 'lack of ambition' and 'terrible recruitment', as per usual. By far our best performing players over the past 2-3 years have been:

1. Gibbons

2. Smith

3. Streete

4. Alex Jones

5. Jake Taylor

6. Scott Burgess

All of the above had little to no league experience

7. Legge

8. Worrall

9. Brown

10. Pope

11. Eagles (albeit for a very limited period)

12. Joyce

League experience is no guarantee of success, and nor is no league experience a guarantee of failure. I'd be happy, this window, with a loan signing at LB of a promising youngster (or, even, Campbell Gordon to be given a chance, if only from the bench initially) or an experienced guy who doesn't cost the earth, Jake Taylor to sign permanently, and a striker to offer more than those we have currently (though strikers in January are notoriously difficult to find). I don't think we need a backup RB, as Atkinson can cover more than adequately there. 

Has Atkinson signed for the reminder of the season yet? 

38 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Yes I was impressed by him too! 

Askey has always been a fan of Guthrie at Stevenage. I can’t imagine he would be on much. It would be interesting to see if we made a bid if they went down.

That said, for all I know he could be on good money and I wouldn’t want us to break the bank.

For me a good January would be getting Gibbo, Wozza and Smudge tied down.

A great one would then add Taylor (at the right price)

And I do think a recognised left back would be useful!

He tore us a new one last season. One game doesn't make a player, by any means, but if he's OOC at the end of the season, and would be interested in joining us, I'd certainly try to make it happen, within reason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

A test of our ambition could be if clubs come in with a bid for players like smith, worrall and gibbons. That could happen. 

Rudgie got where we once were by wheeler dealing.

One player who has impressed me the most playing for the opposition this season is About Eisa at Scunthorpe. I would love to see us make bid for him as I think he is the right age (23) and looked to me to be much better than Amoo and Browne.

• Like 1

The Macc manager has just resigned, stating lack of resources. A quick fooking throws up he may be off the Leyton Orient.

I don’t think he will be the last to leave this window.

16 minutes ago, rayzer said:

One player who has impressed me the most playing for the opposition this season is About Eisa at Scunthorpe. I would love to see us make bid for him as I think he is the right age (23) and looked to me to be much better than Amoo and Browne.

Who was that tiny black winger who played for Grimsby against us a season or so back. He looked absolute quality and I expected him to be in the Championship by the end of January that season! Be interested to see where he's ended up, if he's not still at Grimsby, but for the life of me I can't remember his name!

6 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Who was that tiny black winger who played for Grimsby against us a season or so back. He looked absolute quality and I expected him to be in the Championship by the end of January that season! Be interested to see where he's ended up, if he's not still at Grimsby, but for the life of me I can't remember his name!

Siriki Dembélé 

Tore us to bits. Now plays for Peterborough. 

6 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Siriki Dembélé 

Cheers for that! He seems to be getting playing time for Peterborough, albeit from the bench, which is a pity, as would love to see him in a Vale shirt, if only on loan!

34 minutes ago, rayzer said:

Brother of the ex Cheltenham striker. 

I have to agree and even though it's only based on one game he is one of the most dangerous and impressive players I've seen this season. They battered us 2-1 that day . I'd imagine Scunny could pay him more than we can dream of . 

• Like 1

I’m hoping for another midfielder anyway even if we keep Taylor or not, if Taylor/Burgess get injured then for me we don’t have that attacking energy threat, think Jake was off it yesterday however with a hectic schedule and just coming back from a slight injury I wasn’t greatly shocked. 

Would like to give Scott Burgess a massive shoutout as well, think he’s been one of our unsung heroes, when you’ve got Taylor playing as well as he is then he will steal the limelight, thought Burgess was immense yesterday! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

The Macc manager has just resigned, stating lack of resources. A quick fooking throws up he may be off the Leyton Orient.

I don’t think he will be the last to leave this window.

They are in financial turmoil.

Surely with Askey/Garlick's links we can slip them a bit of cash for a few of their better players? Archibald, Ironside, Welch-Hayes, Gnahoua, Osadebe, Kelleher are all of the right age and would add something to our squad.

Hate to be profiting from a club's demise but they're going to go bust if they don't get cash injections sharpish, which, barring a takeover, isn't going to happen unless they sell of some players before they're out of contract.

Edited by Joe B

9 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Brother of the ex Cheltenham striker. 

I have to agree and even though it's only based on one game he is one of the most dangerous and impressive players I've seen this season. They battered us 2-1 that day . I'd imagine Scunny could pay him more than we can dream of . 

Van Veen, Gillead, and Eisa were all superb that day. Would take any of them, but agree we'd struggle to afford/prise them away.

I did have a gander at the National League top scorers, but when you see Scott Quigley on 15, Gime Toure (a truly abysmal trialist we had last summer) on 11, Tyrone Barnett and Dior Angus on 8, maybe its time we left that league alone for goal scorers.

We were stung by Miller, Angus never seemed good enough, and were chasing Jason Oswell from Stockport, who is now doing nothing at Wrexham.

There will be some reasonable footballers if you have the right scouting network (Hugill was playing in tier 8), but whilst I used to be all for non-league signings, I'd probably stray away from forwards.

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I did have a gander at the National League top scorers, but when you see Scott Quigley on 15, Gime Toure (a truly abysmal trialist we had last summer) on 11, Tyrone Barnett and Dior Angus on 8, maybe its time we left that league alone for goal scorers.

We were stung by Miller, Angus never seemed good enough, and were chasing Jason Oswell from Stockport, who is now doing nothing at Wrexham.

There will be some reasonable footballers if you have the right scouting network (Hugill was playing in tier 8), but whilst I used to be all for non-league signings, I'd probably stray away from forwards.

TBF, Angus was never given a chance. Not saying he would have been good enough, but we will never know. 

Siriki Dembélé 
Just a couple of players needed to be a promotion side, but more than anything else is consistency. Seen some terrific performances , followed by just alright performances. Also need to see games out after winning positions . We WOULD have been up there if we had done this . Even with our present squad of players
  • Like 1

Gambles are gambles, some pay out some don`t. Askey has knowledge of NL, picking up players from there or the FL who we can develop is good business on our attendances. Cup income helps but does not happen every season. Interesting times for a change.

23 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I agree. Decent strikers need league experience. If we unearth a non league gem it will be down to purely luck. 

Contrary to opinion, Angus had plenty of chances. He was poor. Miller looked good at times and I liked him on the ball, but he was simply a prat. 

If I was the manager I would devote everything to a new left back. Believe me, that will make a massive difference. If we get the right one, we will make the playoffs. 

I thought the Macc' no9 looked a half-decent player. He's the first guy I've seen this season who has actually challenged Legge effectively and consistently in the air! 

Completely agree think he’s be a very good addition, he gave them a very hard time... and also looks in the mould of a Tom Pope.

5 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Completely agree think he’s be a very good addition, he gave them a very hard time... and also looks in the mould of a Tom Pope.

Given what's going on at Macc', and the fact that he appears to be OOC at the end of the season, I suppose if Askey rates him at all he'll be on the list to either monitor or make a move this month. Seemed to be the type of player who would suit Askey's system down to the ground