Walka003

January transfer window

17 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Phil Sproson will have to show his true colours. If he is an agent first and foremost I expect Taylor will go to the club which makes him the most money. If he cares about the Vale and Taylor he will persuade him to stay at Vale. 

Don't think we will be seeing Taylor in the second half of the season.  Bound to go to a higher div club and make more money for Sproson.  Then Taylor will sit on the bench a lot instead of getting game time no doubt.

19 hours ago, JRC said:

If Kennedy goes we need a 4th centrehalf.

I would hope it's a one in, one out policy.  I think John Askey has already said as much. So either Kennedy comes back and fights for a place or he stays on loan/is sold permanently and someone else comes in.

What left-backs are potential / realistic signings. We're all saying "left-back" but anyone got any actual names of players who would come and do a job?

What left-backs are potential / realistic signings. We're all saying "left-back" but anyone got any actual names of players who would come and do a job?

What’s Chris sulley doing these days ?

Tbh Rob I think Askey will have his work cut out getting quality through the door in January as prices will be a lot higher than in the summer

Who was the last proper left back we had was it Dickinson ??????

22 minutes ago, vale victory said:

What’s Chris sulley doing these days ?

Tbh Rob I think Askey will have his work cut out getting quality through the door in January as prices will be a lot higher than in the summer

Who was the last proper left back we had was it Dickinson ??????

I think the good thing is that unlike Brown and Aspin (who both clogged up their teams with a million loanees by mid-August) we have space to get a left-back on loan. I wonder if that is the route that Askey will take?

For me, it's early days and I've only seen about 30 minutes of him playing, but I really like the look of young Ryan Campbell-Gordon as an attacking left-back but he's maybe a season or so away from the first-team so I wouldn't be too unhappy with a temporary signing there. 

Getting a loan in is easier for Vale as well I would imagine. There's isn't the commitment of agreeing a long-term deal (player having to move house etc), the risk in potentially getting the wrong player and then being stuck with them etc. Plus I presume some higher placed clubs will be keen to give players first-team football if they are not in the first-team. 

On 10/12/2019 at 15:36, robf said:

Accadamies have been hoovering up left footed players and good ones are few and far between at our level. Watching leftbacks at other teams we've played most are flawed to some degree. The ideal player can start an attack, distribute the ball, beat a player, have pace, whip crosses in, excellent tackler and be good in the air. If you can tick all those boxes .... you won't be playing in league 2.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JRC said:

Accadamies have been hoovering up left footed players and good ones are few and far between at our level. Watching leftbacks at other teams we've played most are flawed to some degree. The ideal player can start an attack, distribute the ball, beat a player, have pace, whip crosses in, excellent tackler and be good in the air. If you can tick all those boxes .... you won't be playing in league 2.

Monty ticks most of those boxes.

Not all the time of course, but worth persevering with and developing consistency?

He's already on the payroll so no extra cost.

6 hours ago, JRC said:

I think we may have to go down the loan route anyhow and if that's the case we'd be looking at academy players wouldn't we?

I agree that it is a long-term issue though - the whole concept of top-level teams having the cash to simply hoover up all available young talent is clearly a real worry on many levels.

7 hours ago, SFBT said:

Monty ticks most of those boxes.

Not all the time of course, but worth persevering with and developing consistency?

He's already on the payroll so no extra cost.

There are worse leftbacks in this league. Probably very few better and available in the window.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robf said:

I think we may have to go down the loan route anyhow and if that's the case we'd be looking at academy players wouldn't we?

I agree that it is a long-term issue though - the whole concept of top-level teams having the cash to simply hoover up all available young talent is clearly a real worry on many levels.

The issue with Accadamy players in division 2 is a lot fall flat on their faces. The ones who've done well somewhere go to a higher league. Many of the ones who look good in the under 23s struggle when asked to step up to men's football.

A decent shout.

I know many think we need a left back but I suppose we've already got Crooks and Monty so whether or not Askey agrees with us remains to be seen.

If we did sign a left back what would happen to Crookes? He only signed in the summer.

A decent shout.
I know many think we need a left back but I suppose we've already got Crooks and Monty so whether or not Askey agrees with us remains to be seen.
If we did sign a left back what would happen to Crookes? He only signed in the summer.
He'd become our centre back cover and save us bringing someone in
  • Like 1

I take your point but Crookes was only signed in the summer and did not come here to be our reserve centre back cover. We have Brisley too remember.

I wonder for once in a very long time if we might get someone in very early in January instead of 11.55 on Jan 31st. It would be a nice change!

17 minutes ago, TheSage said:

I take your point but Crookes was only signed in the summer and did not come here to be our reserve centre back cover. We have Brisley too remember.

I wonder for once in a very long time if we might get someone in very early in January instead of 11.55 on Jan 31st. It would be a nice change!

Only if we bank the win bonus from the Man City tie, lol.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

I dunno, if Kennedy goes we are short of cover in central defence with just Brisley on the bench.

I actually wonder if Crookes long-term future is CB. While he may not have the attacking qualities of a left full-back I think he'd do well as a CB.

Legge isn't going to last forever and Brisley is pushing 30.

Crookes is also a left-footer so it's not impossible to see Smith/Crookes as a future partnership. 

• Like 1

I would like to tell Colin what I tell my granddaughter. That money won't burn a hole in your pocket!! We now have good honest owners who won't pretend money gets eaten up with running costs. Let us wait until the end of the season and see then what we need.