Jump to content
Walka003

January transfer window

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Just a terrace rumour on Saturday that Forest want a six figure sum for Jake Taylor, does anyone think we should continue our pursuit of Jake, or is it a step too far. I don’t want C&K spending all the FA cup money on one player. 

I would suggest that's fairly realistic? And I'd be happy to see him at the Vale for that price, even if he were to be the only cash transfer we make! We would probably be looking at loans / small fees anyway, so securing one player of Taylor's class and potential wouldn't be detrimental to our planning, I don't think?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

Just a terrace rumour on Saturday that Forest want a six figure sum for Jake Taylor, does anyone think we should continue our pursuit of Jake, or is it a step too far. I don’t want C&K spending all the FA cup money on one player. I am a big fan of Jake and would like him to stay but not at the detriment of our budget for players. If we do push the boat out, I can’t see that there should be a sell on clause as well.

As anyone heard anything to the contrary or have heard the same

He's a great player and could become a Championship one but I think its too much  to pay for him. With Conlon back from injury and suspension ,he can provide us the energy in midfield and Manny hopefully returning to fitness within the next month or so.We need a player who is prepared to control the game with a bit of creativity, plus a striker.

I would expect L1 clubs try and sign him on loan and Forest look to keep him for another couple of years to see if he can make the step up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A low six figure see is realistic (rumour was that’s what we’d offered on some sites).

Look at it this way if we invest that and then he develops as per the potential he has we can flog him for a lot more than that. This is where we have to weigh up the pros and cons of that gamble on the investment it would be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MBE said:

He's a great player and could become a Championship one but I think its too much  to pay for him. With Conlon back from injury and suspension ,he can provide us the energy in midfield and Manny hopefully returning to fitness within the next month or so.We need a player who is prepared to control the game with a bit of creativity, plus a striker.

I would expect L1 clubs try and sign him on loan and Forest look to keep him for another couple of years to see if he can make the step up.

IMO Conlon hasn’t got nowhere near the energy of Jake Taylor and won’t score goals either like Taylor does. He’s happy here he’s scoring goals and playing a big part in our league position. We need to try and sign him for me. Young goal scoring midfielders don’t come about a lot and we seem to have managed to stumble on one here. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this case I'd rather all the available money  be spent on jake, on one quality player who we know can do the business for Vale at this level, Vale know his character, he's young and has tremendous potential rather than signing 2 or 3 OK players. Quality over quantity any time and in this case known over unknown, Vale can only try their best to sign him, how often does an opportunity like this come along.

Jake Taylor is the type and quality of player who will power us to promotion and put bums on seats, do all we can within reason to sign him. He's the closest I've seen at VP for a long time to a Jonny Green, Ray Walker or a Robbie Earle.

And whist we're at it get Scott Burgess signed up to a longer contract.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

In this case I'd rather all the available money  be spent on jake, on one quality player who we know can do the business for Vale at this level, Vale know his character, he's young and has tremendous potential rather than signing 2 or 3 OK players. Quality over quantity any time and in this case known over unknown, Vale can only try their best to sign him, how often does an opportunity like this come along.

Jake Taylor is the type and quality of player who will power us to promotion and put bums on seats, do all we can within reason to sign him. He's the closest I've seen at VP for a long time to a Jonny Green, Ray Walker or a Robbie Earle.

And whist we're at it get Scott Burgess signed up to a longer contract.

Jonny Green.....now that is a blast from the past! One of my all time favourites....absolute class. How much would he have been worth in today's market?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

Look at it this way if we invest that and then he develops as per the potential he has we can flog him for a lot more than that. This is where we have to weigh up the pros and cons of that gamble on the investment it would be.

That, surely, is the Rudgie model, and something people have been saying we need to get back to? So if the chance to sign Taylor is there, and we can afford it, we should do it - at least we know his quality, already?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love Taylor to sign but it's not just the transfer fee. At the moment we only contribute to his wages so if he signs there are also additional wage costs to find. The owners and the manage are the only ones in a position to make the call really.

If the rumours are true we are in for a midfielder and defender does that mean Atkinson and Kennedy will be leaving?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone’s got to make a decision about our chances of going up. No point signing anyone who’s not capable of League 1 if the view is we’ve got a chance. Also means we’ll have to pay more in wages in Div 1 so is it worth the risk to break the current pay regime?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JohnJames said:

Someone’s got to make a decision about our chances of going up. No point signing anyone who’s not capable of League 1 if the view is we’ve got a chance. Also means we’ll have to pay more in wages in Div 1 so is it worth the risk to break the current pay regime?

I think the summer window will be all about holding onto our better players and bringing in 2 or 3 good enough for the next league. Currently we're pretty solid top of mid table. Promotion won't make a giant difference to our budget unless gates improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, JohnJames said:

Someone’s got to make a decision about our chances of going up. No point signing anyone who’s not capable of League 1 if the view is we’ve got a chance. Also means we’ll have to pay more in wages in Div 1 so is it worth the risk to break the current pay regime?

Increased TV money helps, I am sure Carol has it in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I wonder what sort of wage Taylor is on as a Championship reserve?

Would imagine 3 figures personally, never been involved with there first team and he isn’t in there plans.

Would go between £500-£700 region 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2020 at 19:11, sandyford_valiant said:

IMO Conlon hasn’t got nowhere near the energy of Jake Taylor and won’t score goals either like Taylor does. He’s happy here he’s scoring goals and playing a big part in our league position. We need to try and sign him for me. Young goal scoring midfielders don’t come about a lot and we seem to have managed to stumble on one here. 

I thought Conlon looked good when he came on today but Taylor looked a little out of his depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conlon is a good League 2 midfielder, still only 23.

The fact he's unable to get into our side is testament to Taylor and Burgess, but him and Atkinson (and hopefully the returning Manny) is fantastic competition for those 2 spots.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I thought Conlon looked good when he came on today but Taylor looked a little out of his depth.

I thought the same my friend, Taylor lost his concentration and lost his man 4-5 times today however wasn’t ever a game he was ever going to be involved with, I can only remember him touching the ball about 5 times and one was to play the ball out to the right hand side for the cross for the goal other than that he was distant however I think Burgess was the same apart from the shot in the first minute. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I thought Conlon looked good when he came on today but Taylor looked a little out of his depth.

Against Prem opposition they’re ALL out of their depth, they’re League 2 players.

Taylor and Burgess are a very inexperienced pairing, and it shows at times, but they give us good energy.  Importantly they play well together as a pair with Joyce anchoring.  Conlon gave us a bit more bite that’s for sure.  He should’ve hit the target with his header mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy