Fosse69

Match Thread: Bradford City v Port Vale

A Visit to Valley Parade or whatever it is now, always a challenge, and  currently in 2nd place, what a time for an away win? It will need a return to a high tempo pressing game, maybe a shuffle of players, Archer given a start? We are in a group of 9 teams spanning 3 points, thus there is a need to carve out a rise and prevent  a slide with 2 difficult away games coming up, a hard task and a couple of draws would be welcome. 

• Like 1

We’re not going there in white shirts and yellow shorts like last time are we?

Depends how awkward the referee is as yesterday both teams had black shorts on!

40 minutes ago, Santa said:

We’re not going there in white shirts and yellow shorts like last time are we?

Who knows, but we could go there already in the 2nd round of the FA Cup and £36K better off.

9 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Depends how awkward the referee is as yesterday both teams had black shorts on!

Their's were navy blue not black.

What has happened to Askey,s pressing game?

We seem to have gone backwards to the Neil Aspin one up front because we don’t want to lose.

Every pass seems to go sideways or back and the midfield is not supporting the forward who is left isolated feeding off crumbs.

There is no aggressiveness or will to challenge balls and just back off players giving them time on the ball.

No player could object to being dropped on the last two weeks performances.

10 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

What has happened to Askey,s pressing game?

We seem to have gone backwards to the Neil Aspin one up front because we don’t want to lose.

Every pass seems to go sideways or back and the midfield is not supporting the forward who is left isolated feeding off crumbs.

There is no aggressiveness or will to challenge balls and just back off players giving them time on the ball.

No player could object to being dropped on the last two weeks performances.

Who would you play in CM if we had two up front? 

We always get over-run playing 4-4-2. 

• Like 1

Not sure what the solution is team wise.

I think Crookes needs a rest to see if we are any better off, and Archer deserves a go. We have nothing to lose, so maybe the time to experiment.

Brown

Gibbons Legge Smith Monty

Taylor Joyce Burgess 

Worrall Archer Amoo 

Not sure Monty is the answer at left back, but I think anything is worth a go. We would also be vulnerable at set-pieces with that team. 

Expecting a standard loss away to a team in the top 6, so anything else would be a bonus. 

Bennett is ready made for this one...think he will thrive at Valley Parade on their smaller width pitch given his shooting abilities out of the box

Archer should partner Bennett with Amoo  and Montano in support...could be goals in this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whotobeakiller said:

Bennett is ready made for this one...think he will thrive at Valley Parade on their smaller width pitch given his shooting abilities out of the box

Archer should partner Bennett with Amoo  and Montano in support...could be goals in this

The longer Archer sits on the bench the better he gets, Bennett was poor Sat. So was Amoo second half. And Monty. Smaller pitch? Macc have a small pitch mate. Look how that worked out.

Edited by toyahw

1 hour ago, whotobeakiller said:

Bennett is ready made for this one.

Are you Bennett's agent or something?  He is mainly crap. But not as crap as Cullen.

Edited by toyahw
  • Haha 1

Vale are so inconsistent, from game to game and even from half to half within the same game. If the good side of Vale shows up we could easily get something out of this game, but if not.....

17 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

A Visit to Valley Parade or whatever it is now, always a challenge, and  currently in 2nd place, what a time for an away win? It will need a return to a high tempo pressing game, maybe a shuffle of players, Archer given a start? We are in a group of 9 teams spanning 3 points, thus there is a need to carve out a rise and prevent  a slide with 2 difficult away games coming up, a hard task and a couple of draws would be welcome. 

Always Valley Parade for me Fosse :smile:

A tough ask, but maybe we can do what ManU did to Liverpool yesterday.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Meeting my lad for this one who is at university in Leeds.  Any street parking available near the ground?

Plenty of street parking as ground is in a heavily residential area. But beware, on my last visit there I had a key run down the side of my car.
Also, as it’s an evening game be prepared for the heavy stench of curry. 

Tomorrow is a very good time to play us. We have so many players out injured;

Harry Pritchard (could be fit, Clayton Donaldson, Matty Palmer to name just three. Overall, we have about 10 players out injured - 4/5 being key players  

That being said, we have been churning out the results and we’re managing to get performances from fringe players in the squad. I’m hopeful Pritchard is available as he makes us tick. 

O'Donnell

Mellor - P. O’connor - BRE - Wood

Ismail - Akpan - Cooke - Connolly 

Pritchard 

Vaughan 

1-1 

• Like 1

Well if I was manager I’d be having a team brief this morning and asking the players In the squad who is well enough and up for it enough to play in front of a very good crowd up at Bradford .

I haven’t seen recent performances so I cannot judge but I’ve read comments like our players 15 mins into the second half look knackered and Macclesfield and Stevenage players looked full of running and Vale have being very poor in both games over long periods and Askey does not react quickly enough to opponents changes off the bench .

Crookes seems like the scapegoat every game so I would take him out the side .

So my team based on Askeys mindset of being scared stiff of league 2 opponents.

Brown 

Gibbons Legge Brisley Smith Montano in a 5 at the back when defending but goes to 3 when attacking with Gibbons and Montano prominent in what they do best and that is attack .

Then your 3 in midfield who will have to put a challenge in 

So Joyce Burgess and Worrall 

then your quick striker and your best striker up front the one who away from home will hold the ball up and head on for the quick striker to get in behind the team who will manipulate the ball (Bradford).

So it’s Popey and  Archer for me with young Taylor getting a half for Burgess or Joyce even if the five at the back are solid .

Maybe swapping Archer for Amoo around the 60 minute and trying him off Pope up front and being proactive (Askey )instead of just sitting there and letting the other team gain total control of the matches .

Read Crewe’s stats the other day v Swindon and it’s frightening how good they were (are )64 percent possession and 16 goal attempts 9 on target to 7 off .

So we need to be at our best and get some form and confidence back in the next two really tough games v Bradford and a old Oldham who along with many took us to the cleaners and wiped the floor not so very long ago .

UTV 

54 minutes ago, queenybantam07 said:

Tomorrow is a very good time to play us. We have so many players out injured;

Harry Pritchard (could be fit, Clayton Donaldson, Matty Palmer to name just three. Overall, we have about 10 players out injured - 4/5 being key players  

That being said, we have been churning out the results and we’re managing to get performances from fringe players in the squad. I’m hopeful Pritchard is available as he makes us tick. 

O'Donnell

Mellor - P. O’connor - BRE - Wood

Ismail - Akpan - Cooke - Connolly 

Pritchard 

Vaughan 

1-1 

Well queeny it's anyone's guess as to which Vale team turn up.

If they play to their strengths then we can  beat anyone, as is the same for most teams in this Division.  however if we play like the last 2 games I fear our goal difference will take a massive bashing.

Enjoy the game whatever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

I think I’d go with

brown

gibbons Legge Smith crookes

atkinson Joyce taylor

worrall Pope amoo

I still believe Atkinson doesn't have the pace to run in that forward midfield role, better suited at right back for me. Also away from home I'd go with a quicker option than Pope up front, hand Archer a start and let's see what he's got. Burgess in midfield with Joyce and Taylor and then either Atkinson or Gibbo at right back..