onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Expiring Contracts

Emile

I've just been lying in a dark room for a few hours thinking I'm going senile.

I could of sworn somebody said Hannant could be another Robbie Earle.

Oh hang on they DID ......

Luke Hannant can run a lot but that’s about it , he has very little quality .Robbie Earle was box to box scored goals he was awesome

It’s a bit like saying Scott Quigley could be the next harry Kane

Out of the lot there is only manny I would want to seriously keep I wouldn’t lose sleep over the rest as the last 3 years has produced some of the worst football I can honestly remember. If we want to push up the league and compete we need better

Advert

Our first choice 11, something like played Sat, are a mid table L2 team. So build from there. The rest, Gibbons and Whitfield excluded, are dead wood.

Legge gets a good press but to be honest, particularly if he's on a big wedge, I'd get rid. Head on a stick and based on the last few performances not a good head on a stick. Smudge and Howkins at CB gives me more confidence.

Angus (yes I have seen him play) looked useful. But we have pissed him around so much he must be off.

Hannant and Conlon are sort of okay, but I don't like seeing both together in the team. Makes us very lightweight. And Conlon is sooooo one footed. Hannant looks like he'd be better central but whenever he plays there he's been terrible.

Joyce has been much better recently. A midfield of Hannant Joyce Manny plus A N other/a motivated Worrall would be decent.

Monty is Monty. Keep as supersub.

Just trying to say what people don't like to hear, to get some reasoning:

I get that Whitfield is a real fan favorite, in that he is liked by all and is the one everyone wants to get a photo with.

But what does he actually bring to the field, that warrants that?

If you look at the games he has played, since he returned, first under Aspin and now under Askey, he has been on the bench, 90% of the time.

And if you look at what he brings when he comes on, it's speed, workrate and a bit of trickery (which comes of 3 of 10 times he takes a man on), and few goals.

All in all, a shorter version of Hannant.

Yet people talks about him, like he's the C. Ronaldo of League 2. That's the part I wonder a bit about.

I don't dislike him, and I just want to hear peoples reasoning, to putting him in that category?

I think we need to stop trying to win the Central Reserves League. 18 good players then youth/development players.We need to get more youth players in our reserve team to create a better pathway to bring the next Gibbons through into the 1st team.

Renew

Worrall

Smith

Hornsby

Conlon

Gibbons

Monty

Never seen Angus or Elliot play so can't make a judgement on those two.

Loan players would love Crookes & Howkins if they are available think have very good potential. Mitch Clarke has done well but not much difference between him and Gibbons so why not develop our own?

A couple of controversial points of view with the squad to release ......

Release

Legge - he's not value for money.Head on a stick can't run.Would be worried about his longevity of another season.

Manny - unless he's cheap as back-up. Think there would be much better options than him in the transfer market for the position he plays within Askey's system.

Hannant - runs around like a headless chicken lacks the decision making, first touch and passing ability to make a real difference at this level.

Would leave plenty of room to reshape the squad.

It's amazing how we all see things differently. Manny is the best player at the club and with a full season he could easily play higher than this level. I'd be amazed if anyone else had the view of getting rid.

Hannant...I'm in 2 minds about. Works very hard but goes missing sometimes. Another dodds?

It's amazing how we all see things differently. Manny is the best player at the club and with a full season he could easily play higher than this level. I'd be amazed if anyone else had the view of getting rid.

Hannant...I'm in 2 minds about. Works very hard but goes missing sometimes. Another dodds?

Hannant is like Ronaldo compared to Dodds.

Keep:

David Worrall

Leon Legge (looks like he's got at least another year in him performing better than anyone who is likely to be available in the summer)

Nathan Smith

Cristian Montano

Emmanuel Oyeleke

Tom Conlon

Sam Hornby

James Gibbons

Luke Hannant

Sign if possible:

Mitchell Clark (with Gibbons here I wouldn't break the bank but he looks a decent player)

Adam Crookes (has done a solid job at left back and can cover centre half)

Kyle Howkins (looked good last year and did well last week on his return)

Release:

Antony Kay (not really sure what he adds as a defensive midfielder. Was signed as a CB and quickly realised he wasn't up to that. Even the 'experience' argument doesn't add up, he just seems to bark at the younger players and force a mistake out of them)

Michael Tonge

Danny Pugh

Dan Turner

Theo Vassell

Danny Elliott

Dior Angus (not sure what he can do but seems to be sent away by every manager, maybe another Campion)

Connell Rawlinson (solid enough but always looked like he had a mistake in him)

Yep bang on!

I don't really get this thread.

All season, I've been reading nothing but how crap the players are, how much they are stealing a wage, how much they shouldn't even be footballers, how much someones granddad could do better than what's on display.

And yet, most posts in this thread, argues to keep between 80 and 90% of the current squad?

I'll leave it to (hopefully) Askey, to put a strong squad together.

I just find peoples self contradictory posts, both baffling and funny to read.

I've never said the entire squad is rubbish. I always said it was players played out of positions and bad tactics.

We still need to strengthen but if we can release 8 we should be able to bring in 4 or 5 decent players and that should push us forward :)

I think signing Worrall up will be the most important one at the moment and he is one who since he came has disappointed me BUT since he has played under Askey he has swayed me and has been immense

Would also love us to sign Howkins(a rock if fit),Clark and Crookes

Based on recent performances and Askey’s ability to get the best out of an under performing squad all have different merits to be retained.

Anthony Kay who has been much maligned on here again demonstrated his strengths - leadership / organisation/ protecting the back 4, whilst also offering a goal threat from set plays both in the air and with his shooting.

I know mobility is not a strength of his, but with more mobile players around him he showed he can still play a part at this level.

I would expect he is a good character around the club also, and if Askey believes there is space in the budget for him then that’s fine by me.

Likewise, if he moves on then I for one would thank him for his contribution - whilst performance levels have varied he is one who has never hidden in games

• 5 weeks later...

Reviving this now the season has finished. Retained list is expected to be put out soon, who does everybody want to stay:

Contracted:

- Scott Brown (GK - 2021)

- James Gibbons (RWB - 2020)

- Nathan Smith (CB - 2020)

- Ryan Campbell-Gordan (LWB - 2021)

- Luke Joyce (CM - 2020)

- Ben Whitfield (RW/CAM - 2020)

- Ricky Miller (ST - 2020, rumoured to be released)

- Tom Pope (ST - 2021)

Potentially Contracted (one year extensions):

Leon Legge (CB - Has formed a good partnership with Smith and is exactly what Smith needs beside him. KEEP)

Connell Rawlinson (CB - doesn't seem in Askey's plans. RELEASE)

David Worrall (RM - been a revelation at the end of the season. KEEP)

Manny Oyeleke (CM - if he can keep fit he's a game changer. Better pre-season should favour him. KEEP)

Out of Contract:

Sam Hornby (GK - I would definitely keep as back-up, but would he be happy with this? Especially with Brown signing an extension. KEEP)

Theo Vassell (RCB - Played so far out of position this season on the left that I feel sorry for him. I think as a back up at both right and centre back he is a good squad option, plus he's still young and can improve. KEEP)

Antony Kay (CDM - does he have another year in him? He's certainly capable enough cover for Joyce. NOT SURE)

Danny Pugh (CM - continue as a coach. RELEASE AS PLAYER)

Michael Tonge (CM - Not featured this season. RELEASE)

Tom Conlon (CM - Massive fan of his, young and can get better. Plus has a goal in him. KEEP)

Luke Hannant (CM - Played out wide virtually all season, but I think he would make a good box-to-box midfielder. Worth keeping as a good squad player. KEEP)

Mike Calveley (CM - had a good season in a poor Nuneaton side. Worth seeing how he'll do at a higher level on loan to continue his development. KEEP)

Harry Benns (RW - Same as Calveley. KEEP).

Dan Turner (ST - Should have been his year to do the above, but hasn't managed to. Tough one, but he hasn't forced his way onto the pitch under Askey. RELEASE)

Danny Elliott (ST - has looked decent in flashes,but also completely lost. I think he could make a good winger, but age is against him. RELEASE).

Dior Angus (ST - Think he deserves a year to try to force his way in after his successful loan spells. KEEP)

Loan:

Adam Crookes (LCB - out of contract at Forest, would attempt to sign)

Mitch Clark - (RWB - released by Villa, would attempt to sign)

Toby Edser (CM - not sure on contract, on loan from Forest. Highly rated but didn't do anything here.).

------------------

If all those sign that I would like, that would leave us with 17-18 first team players, and then another 4 or 5 development players (depending on if any other lads get promoted). Leaves room for about 6 new signings. For me they would include a left wing back, a couple of wingers, and a striker at least.

These discussions are pointless without knowing how much they earn.

If Worrall is on 1.5k/week I'd keep. If he's on 3k/week I wouldn't. Same with Manny. Same with Hannant. Same with all of them.

I don't see many of the current squad going onto bigger and better things if they are moved on which seems to be a recurring theme each summer.

I wouldn't look to sign Crookes personally.

We need natural modern day full backs that offer something going forwards as well as defensively.

He's a square peg in a round hole and although he "does a job" there, we need to be aiming higher. At centre half, I don't think he's physically imposing enough personally - my personal preference is having big monsters at centre back (tall, strong, quick).

Decisions have already been made and some of the ones you might want to stay are on their way. There have been a lot of very unprofessional things going on and we need to sweep the slate clean and begin afresh in August.

It's perhaps a good thing because we can't keep on giving chance after chance to players who perform one game in every three and don't conduct themselves well.

Let's be brutally honest. How many of our first XI would make Lincoln's first XI, or MK Dons, or even Colchester or Exeter or Mansfield or Bury? At a push you might stretch to 2-3 in the squad but no more than that.

I don't want to start a debate about Brown who has been marvellous for us but even he wasn't in the PFA League Two team.

We are surely at least 4-5 better players short of where we want to be.

Decisions have already been made and some of the ones you might want to stay are on their way. There have been a lot of very unprofessional things going on and we need to sweep the slate clean and begin afresh in August.

It's perhaps a good thing because we can't keep on giving chance after chance to players who perform one game in every three and don't conduct themselves well.

Let's be brutally honest. How many of our first XI would make Lincoln's first XI, or MK Dons, or even Colchester or Exeter or Mansfield or Bury? At a push you might stretch to 2-3 in the squad but no more than that.

I don't want to start a debate about Brown who has been marvellous for us but even he wasn't in the PFA League Two team.

We are surely at least 4-5 better players short of where we want to be.

If the decisions have already been made, can you name the players on their way out?

Archived