onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Expiring Contracts

Emile

We need some continuity in the squad, bringing a whole new first team in doesn't work as we have already seen. We have already moved on some players, we need to bring in affordable and reliable players who will improve the squad without destroying team spirit. someone said earlier on this thread that he wasn't that bothered if any of the players left, that is a sad inditement of the poor running of the club in recent times. People want to go to see their heroes play for their team not spend half the season trying to work out who is playing for us.

Advert

I have faith in Askey to clear the decks and get some decent pro’s in. He said he wants 12 plus, so he must know the squad is a long way off being where he wants it to be.

The positives are, Askey seems to know how he wants to play, so will get players in to fit that system. Easier said than done, but it’s obvious we need goals from all over the pitch.

Just keeping everything crossed we get the news we all hope for tomorrow. We have the chance to move out of the doldrums and into better times, after what seemed like a lost cause. Let’s all pull together and back Carol with season tickets sales. We have got a chance to move this great club forwards once again, so let’s go for it. UTV. KTF.

These discussions are pointless without knowing how much they earn.

If Worrall is on 1.5k/week I'd keep. If he's on 3k/week I wouldn't. Same with Manny. Same with Hannant. Same with all of them.

I don't see many of the current squad going onto bigger and better things if they are moved on which seems to be a recurring theme each summer.

Pretty much agree the manager's job in the lower leagues is to get the best value for money. There's a lot of luck involved, two or three high earners get long-term injuries in August and a manager is generally out of a job by Christmas. Ideal squad size is always a gamble because nobody knows how many injuries they will pick up. You look at Oyeleke who prior to this year rarely missed a game. My guess is Aspin would still have been here if he'd been fit all season. If he hadn't had that run of games for Askey we would have been looking for a 4th manager in two years.

I don't think it's that hard to assemble a squad.

You have a vision of how you want to play and the formation you want to use.

Then sign 2 players for each position (with some being able to cover multiple positions) and have 3-4 youth teamers.

Yet, every season, we seem to start the season with a bloated squad where we have 0 left backs and 8 centre mids!

Hoping Askey can buck the trend this year!

I don't think it's that hard to assemble a squad.

You have a vision of how you want to play and the formation you want to use.

Then sign 2 players for each position (with some being able to cover multiple positions) and have 3-4 youth teamers.

Yet, every season, we seem to start the season with a bloated squad where we have 0 left backs and 8 centre mids!

Hoping Askey can buck the trend this year!

It's very hard because the best players command a big premium. So a lot of signings end up being 7th or 8th choice. First choice centreforward can mean a left-back from well down the preferences.

Pretty much agree the manager's job in the lower leagues is to get the best value for money. There's a lot of luck involved, two or three high earners get long-term injuries in August and a manager is generally out of a job by Christmas. Ideal squad size is always a gamble because nobody knows how many injuries they will pick up. You look at Oyeleke who prior to this year rarely missed a game. My guess is Aspin would still have been here if he'd been fit all season. If he hadn't had that run of games for Askey we would have been looking for a 4th manager in two years.

Is oyleke really that good? I’d say not, but football is all about opinions.

Decisions have already been made and some of the ones you might want to stay are on their way. There have been a lot of very unprofessional things going on and we need to sweep the slate clean and begin afresh in August.

It's perhaps a good thing because we can't keep on giving chance after chance to players who perform one game in every three and don't conduct themselves well.

Let's be brutally honest. How many of our first XI would make Lincoln's first XI, or MK Dons, or even Colchester or Exeter or Mansfield or Bury? At a push you might stretch to 2-3 in the squad but no more than that.

I don't want to start a debate about Brown who has been marvellous for us but even he wasn't in the PFA League Two team.

We are surely at least 4-5 better players short of where we want to be.

Brown has been the best of a very bad bunch. Tells the tale when your keeper at 30 odd wins player of the season without ever really being spectacular. Other thank perhaps the mk game.

He might not be that good but our results with and without him are significantly different and it's a results business.

Decisions have already been made and some of the ones you might want to stay are on their way. There have been a lot of very unprofessional things going on and we need to sweep the slate clean and begin afresh in August.

It's perhaps a good thing because we can't keep on giving chance after chance to players who perform one game in every three and don't conduct themselves well.

Let's be brutally honest. How many of our first XI would make Lincoln's first XI, or MK Dons, or even Colchester or Exeter or Mansfield or Bury? At a push you might stretch to 2-3 in the squad but no more than that.

I don't want to start a debate about Brown who has been marvellous for us but even he wasn't in the PFA League Two team.

We are surely at least 4-5 better players short of where we want to be.

It's hardly surprising Browny wasn't chosen in that PFA team,only five clubs got a look in,Lincoln,Bury,Mansfield,FGR and Tranmere.

No matter how well you've played,if you don't finish in the top seven you've no chance.

Just added up points per game, average points when he's not played we'd have ended on 40 points if I did my maths right. We got 16 points, I think, in the 18 games he missed. He's not a world beater but he definitely gives us some presence in midfield nobody else does.

Fair comment perhaps but it's the players who vote for their most formidable opponents so I can't really see why everyone hasn't got an equal chance. Clearly the top teams have the best players overall so it's no surprise that they dominate the awards as with Liverpool and City in the Premiership nominations but you might have a valid point.

I like to think that I have got a good idea of who might stay and who we release, based on what I'm told from others working close to the Club. But I'm keeping my powder dry and we'll find out this week I imagine.

It's common knowledge that some lads have been disgracing themselves (Askey and Sproey told us that a fortnight ago)so it should not surprise anyone when a few get released for their lack of professionalism and poor behaviour.

I'm crossing everything for a new beginning this week, a clean sheet and a fresh set of players in August to get us salivating for the first time in ages. UTV.

The new loan rules don't help either. The squad has to have a few extra players in case of long term injuries outside the transfer windows or you end up bringing in out of contract players who are probably not fit. Or using the youth team.

We had a smaller squad than most of the promoted sides. It's a fine balancing act, I'm not really sure what an optimum size is without loans during the season.

Archived