Raheem Sterling - 'Penalty'

philmpv

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46129571

What do we think Sterling should have done in these circumstances? Told the ref that there was no contact it wasn't a penalty? Kept quiet (as he did)? Surely there has to come a point where footballers have to take responsibility, and not simply say 'well, the ref gave it!'? These instances will be few and far between (i.e. so blatant) but it's basically, to my mind, cheating. Remember the free kick that wasn't against Chesterfield last season? No contact at all and the bloke kicked the floor. That could have sent us down. I agree that referees are abysmal a lot of the time, but surely there should be some responsibility on the players at all levels to play fair?

Advert:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46129571

What do we think Sterling should have done in these circumstances? Told the ref that there was no contact it wasn't a penalty? Kept quiet (as he did)? Surely there has to come a point where footballers have to take responsibility, and not simply say 'well, the ref gave it!'? These instances will be few and far between (i.e. so blatant) but it's basically, to my mind, cheating. Remember the free kick that wasn't against Chesterfield last season? No contact at all and the bloke kicked the floor. That could have sent us down. I agree that referees are abysmal a lot of the time, but surely there should be some responsibility on the players at all levels to play fair?

Sterling could argue with the ref about the decision, but I wouldn't put it past some refs to book him for dissent or even for diving. Best to shut up and allow the other team to walk though a goal, similar to what happened at Arsenal a few years back.

By that logic every time a defender fouls in the box and a peno isn't given he should tell the ref it was a foul and ask for a peno to be given against? Either that or just score an OG? An absolute howler from the ref but no doubt Sterling will be the one getting torn to shreds by the media (as always)

Advert:

Sterling could argue with the ref about the decision, but I wouldn't put it past some refs to book him for dissent or even for diving. Best to shut up and allow the other team to walk though a goal, similar to what happened at Arsenal a few years back.

Speaking of Arsenal anyone remember this one. The ref just ignored Robbie Fowler.

Also reminds me of the "air shot" from the chesterfield lad in the game at Vale Park last season. No vale player near him when he fell over. Chesterfield then scored, what could easily have been a very costly goal, from the resulting free kick. Ludicrous decision but not quite so newsworthy.

Advert:

if Pep was adamant it wasn't a penalty then he could have instructed the player to put it wide (never seen or heard of that happening in football though).

IMHO just shows how difficult a job a ref has, we all have the benefit of replays and slo-mo's.

if Pep was adamant it wasn't a penalty then he could have instructed the player to put it wide (never seen or heard of that happening in football though).

IMHO just shows how difficult a job a ref has, we all have the benefit of replays and slo-mo's.

There were three officials looking directly at that incident all from different angles - ref, liner and the bloke behind the goal. It didn't need slo-mo - just for them to have their eyes open.

There were three officials looking directly at that incident all from different angles - ref, liner and the bloke behind the goal. It didn't need slo-mo - just for them to have their eyes open.

Yep but it just goes to show how quickly things happen and how easy it is to get it wrong. Said it before, it amazes me the high percentage of times refs/officials get decisions correct No one is perfect. Perhaps they've all got eyesight like mine!

Advert:

All I’ll say is defenders don’t say when they’ve fouled a player and the ref hasn’t given a penalty. It’s not ideal but I would guess more teams don’t get penalties they should than penalties they shouldn’t.

I was at the City game last night and they could have had 5 penalties not just two. Shaktar were doing some desperate defending

Yep but it just goes to show how quickly things happen and how easy it is to get it wrong. Said it before, it amazes me the high percentage of times refs/officials get decisions correct No one is perfect. Perhaps they've all got eyesight like mine!

I can always forgive officials for things they don’t see. What annoys me is when they “see” things that never happened! That ref last night was clearly guessing.

I can always forgive officials for things they don’t see. What annoys me is when they “see” things that never happened! That ref last night was clearly guessing.

From behind, it looked stone wall.

Archived