onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Player contracts

PV1993

Advert

I don't like the thought of another summer clearout / rebuild...but I do think it's necessary, to free up some wages for Aspo to use. So, imo, it would need to be like this:

1. Aspo is the only person deciding who goes and who comes in - no interfering from the backroom boys!

2. It has to be done quickly, as with recruitment, so newcomers have maximum time to settle in and get used to tactics, and to get fit.

3, Let's have longer contracts so we don't keep going through this dance every other summer?

I think a new GK is a must - and a couple have already been mentioned. I think Kay might be a good shout for captain - imo...again...defence or defensive midfielder is the best position for captain, as they see the whole game in front of them. Loyalty to Tonge and Pugh has to end and at least one of these should go...but we desperately need a decent LB!

1) it's not optional given how many players are out of contract. That is the norm at our level where many players live year to year on just a 12 month deal.

2) counter active? Who on the out of contract list is a 'must keep' to make replacing them counter productive?

What I’m saying is there’s no point paying up loads of contracts again. I agree that I wouldn’t keep many of the out of contract players though, but we’re still left with half of a big squad.

I don't think we have a good team at all and haven't had one for three years at least. The majority of the squad are not good enough. The Table, as they rightly say, doesn't lie. We can't keep clean sheets, struggle to play football on the ground and can't score goals, one man apart. The last couple of years have been disastrous for me and very hard to watch.

I'm still to be convinced by a number of players and our talisman will be a year older next season.

The big problem we've got is that we need quality in all areas of the pitch - and real quality at that, not filler ins.

A good experienced keeper and centre back are not easy nor cheap to find.

A couple of creative energetic midfielders cost even more. Strikers too are like diamonds.

Above all, we have to score more goals and find help for Pope. Ideally we need another 2-3 lads who can get double figures, up front and from the middle of the park. But where do you find them from?

We don't just need a couple of good new players but 5-6 of decent quality to move us up the League. It isn't going to be easy to do that. We've slowly dismantled the squad and ripped any quality we had from the team over the course of the past three years. The chickens have come home to roost and we're more or less back to square one and having to start all over again.

A pessimistic but very realistic assessment of where we are. Since December, it's been 17 games with one win, 9 draws, and 7 defeats and, during that time, we've shipped 26 goals and scored just 17 - a terrible run of relegation form. Indeed, the form table for those 17 games puts us in the bottom two with Grimsby, so it's a good job we had that December run or we'd be dead and buried. That's how good our squad is and it will take some rebuilding. New goalkeeper, central defender, right back (I would have said left back but for Montano's resurgence), at least two midfielders and a winger are our absolute requirements if we are to compete next season, even in the National. My only consolation is that we have Rudgie and Aspo, two of the best recruiters in the league. A season to forget.

What I’m saying is there’s no point paying up loads of contracts again. I agree that I wouldn’t keep many of the out of contract players though, but we’re still left with half of a big squad.

What happened to putting players you don’t want on the transfer list.

Micky was a past master of this and didn’t need to pay players off.

Lainton and Barnett is a prime example.

Even Baldrick Brown made them train with the kids like Tavares.

The sentinel has a complete list today of whos contract is up when.

PLAYERS OUT OF CONTRACT SUMMER 2018

Ryan Boot

Joe Slinn

Kjell Knops

Charlie Walford

Luke Dennis

Harry Middleton

Graham Kelly

Billy Reeves

Mike Calveley

Michael Tonge

Anton Forrester

Chris Regis

Dan Turner

Danny Pugh

PLAYERS UNDER CONTRACT UNTIL THE SUMMER OF 2019

Rob Lainton

Sam Hornby

Callum Howe

Joe Davis

Antony Kay

David Worrall

Luke Hannant

Tom Pope

Cristian Montano

Tyrone Barnett

Dior Angus

PLAYERS UNDER CONTRACT UNTIL THE SUMMER OF 2020

Nathan Smith

James Gibbons

PLAYERS ON LOAN AND DUE TO RETURN TO THEIR PARENT CLUBS AT THE END OF THIS SEASON

Charlie Raglan (Oxford)

Zak Jules (Shrewsbury)

Donovan Wilson (Wolves)

Kyle Howkins (West Brom)

Marcus Harness (Burton)

Ben Whitfield (Bournemouth)

From the list of people out of contract this summer I'd give Turner, Pugh and Knops anothet year. This would be dependent on Knops fitness levels and pughs wages however. If he's cheap he's more than adequate cover in a few positions. I'd be looking to offload Lainton and Barnet from the 2019 and that would be a fairly decent set of players to work with after some additions.

If the Spirites go down,who'd have Doddsy back?

Why? He haven't exactly set Chesterfield on fire, has he? They are sinking fast, and he can't even get in their starting 11... If we were to take players from the bottom two clubs, it should deffo only be their 1 or max 2 absolute best players!

Kay is looking a lot better since he has had his hernia operation, just goes to show that it can be difficult to judge players without all the facts.

I had a scrotal spacehopper myself which was very uncomfortable and made doing sports difficult. If you've got one you have to get it sorted or you can't function properly.

I’d love us to sign Whitfield if he’s available. Wouldn’t we have to pay a tribunal fee, though? Can’t see us doing that, plus I expect him to end up in the league above anyway. I can’t seem to find anything to say he is out of contract only that he signed an 18 month deal in January 2014.

Him, Hannant, Montano, Worrall, Gibbons and Pope have been integral to our attacking play and they all seem to link up very well. I’d keep Kay to sit in front of the defence then add a mid-late 20’s central midfielder who would be experienced at this level or League One and would have to be an all rounder.

After watching the last few games I don’t think we are that far off being an alright side we just need a little bit more quality and a bit of luck.

Didn’t Whitfield sign a new contract in January at Bournemouth?

Confused that the Sentinel said Tonge and Pugh were still under contract although I still think Pugh has an option to stay.Hornby wasn’t in the Sentinel list as under contract and is a better keeper than Boote.Although we still need a decent reliable keeper.

None of the players out of contract need to stay and could be easily replaced by better players.Barnett,Lainton and Davis need to be shown the door so we can replace them with better players.

Archived