onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Player contracts

PV1993

I know this weekend is the more important focus at present, but with not much of the season left I'm sure Aspin will already be thinking about who he wants to keep. Here's the players' contract situations for what it's worth:

Vale Contracts 2017-18.jpg

Can we afford to have such a massive clearout for the third season in a row? I can't see us keeping many of the out of contract players apart from the younger, promising, cheaper lads. Will many contracts be paid up?

EDIT: I made the list before Yatesy sadly retired - Also Slinn, Walford and Dennis are up 2018.

Advert

I wouldn't particularly miss any of them. Boot must be cheap so it would make sense to keep him if he is considered better than the other keepers, even if we sign a new guy. Turner is popular with fans but Aspin doesn't seem to fancy him. Tonge and Pugh play every week but are getting on a bit now so not sure whether they'd be kept or not. The rest would probably go, particularly Forrester and Regis.

History tells us that not all the first year pros will get renewed. Mike Calveley is the only one to feature this year for us and my money would be on him to be renewed.

I think those that won't be renewed who's contract is up are:

Regis

Reeves

Knopps

Turner

Forrester

Kelly

One of Pugh or Tonge

Dennis

Walford

Slinn

Middleton

Yates obviously

Of those under contract I think we'll also look to off load:

Lainton

and possibly Kay

History tells us that not all the first year pros will get renewed. Mike Calveley is the only one to feature this year for us and my money would be on him to be renewed.

Regis

Reeves

Knopps

Turner

Forrester

Kelly

One of Pugh or Tonge

Dennis

Walford

Slinn

Middleton

Yates obviously

Lainton

and possibly Kay

I think that will be spot on

I am already confused about who half the current squad are. Getting a bit like non league where the team changes every week and no-one has a contract.

Look at the current matchday squads and we'll be seeing these players gone at the end of the season too.

Raglan

Howkins

Whitfield

Harness

Wilson

And not forgetting Jules - unless he's already gone.

It would be bang out of order not to offer Knops a contract. The rest I wouldn’t lose any sleep over, shut the door on the way out.

I've not put him on the list because I think we should kick him out, but because I've heard that he may look at going back home.

Possibly only Turner out of them

He's probably the only one I was undecided on because hes in the same boat as Angus, plenty of time to develop. But hes clearly been one of the players that have been ostracised for the majority of Aspins reign so far.

Regis

Reeves

Knopps

Turner

Forrester

Kelly

One of Pugh or Tonge

Dennis

Walford

Slinn

Middleton

Yates obviously

Lainton

and possibly Kay

I'd rather he kept Kay and just released Pugh and Tonge. Cheaper and he's been the better player for me infront of the defence.

I'd keep Turner and Knops (If fit and willing), and pay up Barnett - but agree with the rest.

I'd rather he kept Kay and just released Pugh and Tonge. Cheaper and he's been the better player for me infront of the defence.

I'd keep Turner and Knops (If fit and willing), and pay up Barnett - but agree with the rest.

I think it could be either or out of the 3 oldies, I don't think Aspin sees Kay as a centre back, but is he better in centre mid than Pugh or Tonge? I don't know, but I think at least one of those 3 will be offered something new, but not all of them. I think we need to retain some experience in the squad.

I think Barnett could be one to go too.

Archived